Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Revolver’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Love You To/Doctor Robert?

paul62 likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My fav. Beatles album.

Tough choice went with Eleanor.

3. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Real easy on this one because it is probably my favorite Beatles song of all-time...Tomorrow Never Knows.

PooreBoy and nicotinecaffeine like this.
  4. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

"Love You To" (or "I Want To Tell You") /"Dctor Robert" would work, as would "Tomorrow Never Knows"/"Good Day Sunshine" (which is a bit like "Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane").

5. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

"Good Day Sunshine"/"Rain" would have been a great single, methinks.

YardByrd likes this.
  6. Jepogar

Jepogar Member

TNK. Innovative and stylish.

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

TNK no doubt

Jepogar likes this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I always say their best song is For No One and their best track is And Your Bird Can Sing.

How convenient that they are on the same album, and even on the same LP side for those times I just cant bear to sit through Taxman or Love You To again.

Disappointed to see Tomorrow Never Knows leading. Certainly not among the top 50% for me.

lazydynamite likes this.
  9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I love the whole album. Tough choice because it's so much bigger that the sum of it's parts, for me. "And Your Bird Can Sing" get the narrow win. Love that guitar interplay.

lazydynamite likes this.
  10. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

For No One....

Have never been able to work out the hype about 'Tommorow never Knows'
    Find it a complete racket of noise.Worst track on the album .
    Not my cup of tea and not why I like The Beatles

11. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

Yes 'And your Bird Can Sing' is just an awesome track.
    Just missed out on first place for me.

Jet Age Eric, kozy814 and Rfreeman like this.
  12. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Wow, what an album. Alright. Here's my ranking.

1. I'm Only Sleeping: Incredibly rarely has a song so successfully captured a feeling. It's trippy as balls and I love it for that alone, but then you have the excellent melody and song craft perfection and you have a stunning piece of music the likes of which will rarely ever be matched. My second favourite song of all time. 10/10.

2. Eleanor Rigby: Rarely use the word but... this is a masterpiece. It is perfection. Simple as that. 10/10.

3. And Your Bird Can Sing: Pop rock perfection (there's a lot of perfection on this album). Love the vocals, love the bass, love the drums, loveeee the guitars, loveeee the melody. This is the song that paved the way for all pop/rock in the future, I swear. 10/10.

4. Tomorrow Never Knows: A landmark of studio innovation. Praised equally for its technical supremacy and for it's far-out, trippy, enlightened lyrics as it deserves. This came out in 1966 by the world's most popular band by the likes no one had ever seen. How is it possible that they were this good? How??? 10/10.

5. Love You To: The first full venture into raga rock. The Indian influence was taken to the extreme here and it's one of the most challenging and innovative songs on the album. I also think it rocks hard and is nothing short of extraordinary. 10/10.

6. Got To Get You Into My Life: That tiny couple of seconds guitar interlude by George is what only legends are capable of adding to a song. Love this. So up-beat and groovy. If Tomorrow Never Knows didn't exist I think this would've been a hell of a conclusion. 10/10.

7. I Want To Tell You: The lyrics are underappreciated as hell. Relateable as hell and I love how well they capture exactly what George was trying to express. Fantastic stuff and I looove Paul's little Indian influenced vocal bit at the end. 10/10.

8. She Said She Said: A bit repetitive. I feel like a one of those one off little melodic bits (no idea what the technical term is) would've helped to keep things interesting. Nevertheless, a brilliant hard rocker with a hint of psychedelia that kicks all kinds of ass. 9.5/10.

9. Taxman: The melody isn't incredibly good but the instrumentation is. McCartney's guitar playing on this is legendary and is a stand-out moment on an album full of excellent guitar moments. 9.5/10.

10 For No One: Again, I wouldn't call this a repetitive song melodically, but given the lack of interesting instrumental stuff going on it does feel a bit that way. Nevertheless, superb lyrics, superb melody. 9.5/10.

11. Here, There and Everywhere: As opposed to Rubber Soul, the rockier tracks are the more superior ones on the album to me. I find the slower stuff to be weaker and I think that's because now McCartney's heading the slower songs, whereas John was doing 'em on Rubber Soul. Idk, I just don't find them as remarkable, but I mean, does it really matter when they're still extraordinary? No. Love the twin vocals in each channel here. Really cool effect and this has one of McCartney's best vocal performances. No one else could've sung this like he does and I don't think I've ever heard him sing like this again. 9.5/10.

12. Yellow Submarine: "But it's just a children's song!" I don't care. At all. It's such a genius melody with fun lyrics and a happy times vibe with awesome, innovative effects and whatnot that I end up swaying along to it every time uncontrollably. It's just genius. 9.5/10.

13. Doctor Robert: Well, it definitely feels like a dope song, but not in a good way. It feels almost sluggish and forgettable. The lyrics aren't interesting either. Good harmonies, though. 8/10.

14. Good Day Sunshine: I love it for its insane optimism and the ending is incredible but lately I haven't enjoyed it all that much. It stands out now as specifically weak but hey, it's still a good song. 7/10.

13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'd have "Taxman" higher (above "I Want To Tell You" in fact), but this matches up closely with how I rate the album. "I'm Only Sleeping" is quite an underrated Lennon gem. I like "Good Day Sunshine" quite a bit more than you as well.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  14. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

yep

really?

top 25, maybe!

Spazaru likes this.
  15. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

Innovative, but overrated. Eleanor is the clear winner.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    DK Pete and maui jim like this.
  16. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Here, There and Everywhere'

17. Trixmay 988

I really wish I could edit posts after 30 mins but eh no one reads em anyway lol.

18. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I always bounce between the fun momentum of Got to Get You Into My Life and the well ahead of its time Tomorrow Never Knows.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  19. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

yes

garrincha likes this.
  20. Trixmay 988

What’s the prize?
    Didn’t know there was a contest.

21. schnitzerphilip

A colorized version of A Hard Days Night and a one year streaming subscription to Apple Music.

22. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Revolver has such a diverse range of styles which complicates the choice, one day you might dig one track like "Here, There And Everywhere" then another day you might dig the simplicity of "Yellow Submarine".

Gotta go with "And Your Bird Can Sing" because right now i feel that is the best track on Revolver...

Hermes and Spazaru like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

TNK is one of those Beatle "things" I don't rank only as a "song"; much more important is what they did with it. On those terms, I think it ranks among their top ten.

24. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Yes, it changes. Sometimes I find "Doctor Robert" more enjoyable than "And your bird can Sing"..

25. schnitzerphilip

I agree and I like it, but compared to some of the really really good songs on Revolver, I find it gets too much attention. Truth be told, I like Love You Too more than Tomorrow Never Knows. It's more listenable. More enjoyable.

Trixmay 988 and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.