Best sound quality for streaming

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

Hi, I just signed up for a free trial of Qobuz hi res streaming service. They are streaming 96 kHz, 24 bit music. The question is how do I best hear this music on my system?

I have on Onkyo TX NR818 AVR, an Oppo 103, and a two year old Dell laptop. I am able to play hi res files off my laptop using a Twonky server which feeds the DAC in my Oppo. Obviously both the laptop and the Oppo live on my wireless network.

How do I get the best sound quality with Qobuz streaming? I tried using the hdmi out of the laptop into the onkyo and the sound was crappy. I also tried using a Net Gear display adaptor to beam the Qobuz streaming audio to my system. Same crappy sound?

What am I doing wrong?

2. Ephi82

Just a little bump

3. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

I ain't no expert, but 96 khz isn't very robust compared to something like Spotify that streams for members at 320 khz. The free version of their service streams at 160 khz.

Often, if you listen to any kind of lower quality audio on a "better" amp and speaker setup, it can actually sound worse than if you just use a simple setup like an okay set of small powered speakers.

If you are unable to make your service sound as good as you would like, I would recommend checking out other services that stream at a higher quality.

If I'm missing something, I apologize in advance. Good luck with solving your problem.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Don't know about Qobuz, but in TIDAL you have to select the Streaming Audio Quality in order to get better than CD playback. A further caveat, you can only get the highest audio quality by using TIDAL's desktop app. So, I run that on my PC, and connect via USB cable to my DAC.

Hopefully, another Qobuz subscriber will be along soon to provide further help.

5. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

You are mixing up pcm sample rate and lossy bit rate. 320kbps mp3 vs 24/96 kHz pcm. 2 very very different things.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    MassHysteria, SirMarc, Ephi82 and 4 others like this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

You should always include a budget with a question like this. Clearly you just need a very high end Qobuz compatible streamer paired with an insane DAC like a Chord Dave. Should only set you back around $15-20K after adding in appropriate cables. ;)

7. Ephi82

Interesting, so Tidal app has a selection for output resolution? I think Qobuz has similar. I’ll double check that. Second, do you have to do anything in the app, or on the PC to choose or activate sending audio file data over the USB connection?

8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

"Studio ($24.99 monthly, $249.99 annually) for better-than-CD, studio quality sound" - What nonsense.

Anyway OP, you'd need to stream these files using the Qobuz app on your laptop. Not sure why if you have HDMI out on your laptop that is not working into your Onkyo; maybe try into the Oppo? You may need to adjust something in Windows' "Sound - Playback" settings or in the Qobuz app. Alternatively, you can output to your Onkyo via the headphone/line out on your laptop, or you can connect to your laptop a USB DAC that is capable of 24/96 playback. Here's an inexpensive example:

Schiit Modi 2 USB Digital/Analog Converter (Note, the Qobuz site says some "Studio" content is 24/192 which this DAC won't play.)

According to the Qobuz site, the latest version of their PC app can act as a DLNA server. Figure out how to enable this and see if the Oppo will be a client. The Onkyo is supposedly also capable of receiving 24/192 over DLNA using the "Onkyo Remote 2" phone app.

Qobuz also says it can stream to Chromecast. If you can still find one, the Chromecast Audio has optical digital output and the Chromecast Ultra has HDMI. Both will interface with your Onkyo and pretty sure both support up to 24/96.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, there is a Sound Output option, and I have two different USB DAC systems attached (one for speakers, one for headphones), so I have to select which I want to use -- the default, though, is for your your default audio output device (which could be your PC's sound-card if you have not changed this in Sound devices under Windows).

10. Ephi82

Thanks for some very good suggestions. There is an option in the Qobuz app to enable the DNLA server, which they say is in Beta release and not garunteed to work. So far it doesn’t, but I may have to fiddle with settings on the PC.

At $25 bucks a month and having hundreds and hundreds of of files, cds, dvd,s and BR I’m not likely to be a customer. However, I did want to see how reliable the service is, and how good it sounds. One thing is clear: the company should offer more help and instructions to help the physical media types like me make the transition to streaming services.

11. Ephi82

UPDATE:

After digging around in the PC's setup menu for the audio output properties, I got it properly set up. The Beatles Super Deluxe White Album is streaming at 24/96 Stereo and it sounds just like my Bluray version. Very nice.

However caution: I'm a big Rosanne Cash fan, and Qobuz has her She Remembers Everything recording in 24/96 and 24/192. Well, it sounds CRAPPY in both, with my Onkyo and B&W speakers showing off every distortion and limitation in the source recording quite nicely! (I'm amazed because most of her records are very nicely engineered)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.