Best Sounding Beatles CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know, I know....this topic has been discussed to death with the rumors of new Beatles cds (which no one still seems to know much about).

Now, a while ago, Dave compiled a list of "Best Sounding" cds and he listed three Beatles albums. The first one everyone knows: it's the Toshiba Black Triangle Abbey Road. That's a no-brainer.

However, he lists the Japanese 1st pressing of both Revolver and Let It Be (CP32-5327 and CP32-5333 respectively) and states they're "as good as it gets on cd." I took him on his word and was able to track down minty fresh copies of these 1988 Japan releases. And you know what? Dave is absolutely right....it's almost like hearing Revolver and Let It Be for the first time. The difference is not as dramatic as the Abbey Road BT, but the sound is much more natural, expansive, clearer, dynamic.

That leads me to my question:

Does anyone have other Japanese 1st cd pressings of other Beatles albums that far surpass any other cd versions, or is the mastering on Revolver and Let It Be just a cut above (which is why perhaps Dave only recommended them)?

Thanks for the knowledge!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

JPN CD pressings are the same as any other country, sorry. Same PCM master.

Best Beatles CD's in print?
    SGT. PEPPER
    MMT
    WHITE ALBUM
    LET IT BE
    YELLOW SUB
    (Some of PAST MASTERS, Volumes 1 & 2)
    Try and find:
    EP BOX
    SINGLES BOX
    Canadian HELP first press
    Canadian RUBBER SOUL first press
    JPN ABBEY ROAD first press

3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I would think that the mastering is the same as every other country of origin, excluding the physical pressing differences.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Dave is right about what exactly? As Steve said, they're all the same. Power of suggestion seems to work for some.

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

:goodie:
    Thanks Steve, for your replying too this over-done thread subject.
    You've even added to the last 'list' I've seen from you.
    [that was: 'four (or was it five) albums']

No reply required. :wave:

reEDitEDbyED:
    And to think, I wasn't EVEN going to open this over-done thread topic!!!

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Steve, which version of "All You Need Is Love" do you think sounds better, on the Magical Mystery Tour CD or the Yellow Submarine CD?

7. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

The best sounding ones haven't come out yet.....
    :D :D

To sleep.....perchance to dream

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Nor will they. Nice dream, though, I gotta admit.

9. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Hey, my EMI/Toshiba Revolver (TOCP-51117) sounds better to me; after all, I paid more ($35 or so) for it!! :mad:

:D

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks, Steve. I kind of like the Abbey Road cd too, but that was a generous list from you.

11. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Thanks for info!:)

12. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My vote goes to "Magical Mystery Tour" EP from the EP CD Box set (UK import).

Runners up: The second installment of The Beatles Capitol Albums on CD's.

13. bhazen

Be aware that my opinion is a minority one on this forum; but, I think the "red & blue" albums (The Beatles 1962-1966, 1967-1970), which were apparently compiled by an accountant, sound pretty fine on compact disc. A bit yang to the Compact Disc EP Collection's yin, these are among the discs I take with me to the audio boutique when auditioning new components.

Hombre likes this.
  14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Dave is wrong. All of the JPN Beatles CD's (save for the early Abbey Rd and the CDN Help and RS w/ the original stereo mixes) are exactly the same as their US counterparts. There are no sonic differences whatsoever. There is a small but very vocal group of folks here that believe that identical CD's are not identical. In every case the more esoteric rare disc is the one that "sounds better". Just thought I'd throw that out there..

15. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

I always thought MMT sounded pretty good. I have a german MMT, I think penny lane sounds better on EMI Cd IMO

16. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Go for the mono mix on the CD Singles Collection. The song is weak in stereo. Mono for AYNIL all the way. It even has a longer fade out with a snippet of "In The Mood" included. :thumbsup:

17. bhazen

The Japan CDs have nicer packaging.

18. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I will gladly defy the EMI gods for a better sounding Beatles collection. And to make it even sweeter, I didn't pay for any of them!

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I found this information for CP35-3016 in a forum. Just for reference.

20. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Neil Aspinal stopped being an accountant in 1962, you mean compiled by their road manager, most trusted friend and head of Apple at that time, anyway i think you will find that Lennon and the rest of The Beatles decided the track listing for those comps, which is much better than some 'faceless' record excutive! Give Aspinal a break! like or not he is the 6th Beatle!!:righton: :wave:

TimWare likes this.
  21. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Well, that's not entirely true, Chris. Usually in the case of these obscure CDs, they not only sound better; no, they BLOW AWAY the other pressings, or actually WIPE THE FLOOR with them ;)

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have the Japanese pressing of Let It Be and to me it definitely sounds better than my Canadian domestic copy!

What else can I say? :shrug:

23. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Steve,
    :thumbsup: Canadian THANKS! Eh. :D

I also like the "Red & Blue" CD's.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My 30th Anniversary Japanese serial numbered LP Sleeve version of the White Album sounds far better than any other pressing I have heard, including my US Apple vinyl. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm pretty sure . . . . . .

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

"sounds better" in what way Gary? Not challenging you. Just curious to what you words of description would be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.