Best Sounding Beatles CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It just sounds clearer to me. Better bass definition... sort of like the difference between a US pressing and a Canadian pressing of something that was recorded in the US. I will not use the term "lower generation master tape" or anything like that.

For example, I have Nesmith's Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma, US and Canadian LP pressings. The US is far superior....

Don't worry about that "challenging" thing... no one can tell anyone else what they hear in their own system! :)

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Im going to have to do a blind test with that japanese Rubber Soul and US Rubber Soul. See which one sounds less crappy lol.

Seriously though, my girlfriend loves to make me look stupid on these tests so it will be honest at least. :p

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Incidentally, the differences that I hear are not huge! I could happily live with the Canadian CD....

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

They shouldn't sound different as they have the same mastering. Here's Steve's post from earlier in the thread..

JPN CD pressings are the same as any other country, sorry. Same PCM master.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yep, and I can't see a "better pressing plant" making a difference to a bunch of ones and zeros.

But hey, people hear what they wanna hear. Maybe the Japanese plants run green marker around each disc!:D

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's possible I guess for a country to run their digital Beatles' clone through an analog board, re-EQ it and make the CD from that.

IN ANY CASE, they are still using what was provided for them digitally from EMI, UK.

David del Toro likes this.
  7. Chris M

Possible but the JPN discs are digitally identical to their US counterparts. If they had ran them through an analog board and EQ'd them they would not be digitally identical. The US discs and the JPN discs (save for the early AR) null out..

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I'll take it back :laugh: :ignore:

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Maybe the Obie-Wan makes it sound better..

David del Toro and Holy Diver like this.
  10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

re-EQed it!

11. Chris M

John, I'm talking about discs that have the same mastering. If the discs have the same mastering it doesn't matter when they were made. The Sgt Pepper CD I bought in 1993 at the local indie store will sound the same as the one I order from Amazon today..

12. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Asking a question, not suggesting anything (as I don't know):
    Could it be that the Japanese discs are manufactured to closer tolerances, reducing the number of read errorswhen the CD is played back. I guess a way to test this would be to try the null test on recordings of the analog outputof the two discs.
    Or, somebody with a Squeezebox (or something similar) could compare the two versions through the device, effectively eliminating any error correction done by the CD player.
    BTW, I love using my Squeezebox to compare different pressings of CDs.

Cody

13. Chris M

I think that's a good idea but IMO people are just hearing differences that are not there. It happens to the best of us. Famous recording engineers have reported hearing differences when adjusting the EQ only to discover that the EQ wasn't even patched in.

Dyland likes this.
  14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't know where that theory that there was any Beatles involvement whatsoever in the compilation of 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 comes from, but I've seen it more than once. As far as I know, there was no Beatles involvement whatsoever with those compilations.

They were compiled in 1973, in America, by ABKCO, which was still the Beatles' management group in the U.S., and the original release used American masters (with the possible exception of "From Me to You," which saw its first U.S. stereo release on 1962-1966). Thus, everything (else) that had only come out in rechanneled stereo in America was in rechanneled stereo on 1962-1966 and 1967-1970.

The albums were released in the U.S. several weeks before they came out in England; April 2 was the American release date, April 20 in the U.K., which speaks to the American origin of the albums.

The albums filled a gap in the Beatles' LP discography because there were no legitimate career-spanning Beatles "greatest hits" collections available in the States (A Collection of Beatles Oldies was never released in the U.S., and Hey Jude was more like the later Past Masters series in collecting singles that had not appeared on LP). Also, they were put together in part as a response to several bootleg compilations that were sold through magazine and TV ads in the United States, the most notable of which was The Beatles Alpha Omega.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I honestly had no idea who sequenced those albums; the "safe" song selection suggested to me that some EMI (or, as tim neely suggests, ABKCO) bean-counter was responsible.

I like Neil Aspinall. :)

An aside: does anyone here recall a TV segment around the time Double Fantasy came out, that (among other things) had Lennon in a NYC record shop, picking up a copy of the "blue" album and looking surprised?

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Steve, you know it's the Fairy Dust that they use!

:laugh:

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I can see that!

BTW, we're talking about the Japanese first pressings vs. all others? Not the current Japanese releases?

18. Chris M

Doesn't matter. All JPN discs come from the same PCM master.

19. Murray Wilson?:)

20. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

How about the "fairy dust" on my Toshiba AB (not the first one) but the 87 or after one?

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

While we're on the subject, what audio qualities make the Toshiba "black triangle" Abbey Road so desirable?

22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I've heard that it's the bass response for one thing - the bass on Come Together is supposed to knock you out of your seat.

23. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

It's the only existing CD pressing of the album that is a flat transfer from the master tapes. To me, every instrument is flawlessly represented and the vocals are warm and natural. It sounds purty.

24. More seriously: maybe the Japanese CDs are enhanced with that special green ink around the edges? :D

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

:righton: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.