Best Sounding Beatles CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, is the '87 standard CD pokier in the EQ somewhere than the black triangle? One of the things I like about the garden-variety Abbey Road disc I have is how warm and "analogue" it seems (on my system, YMMV); you mean to say there's a version even warmer and friendlier?

I may have to seek one out; as we all know, there's no other Abbey Roads forthcoming.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I don't see the point of it either. Glad I'm not alone. It won't make me buy one version over another because one runs .00000007 IPS faster or slower.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yes, I say the Toshiba is "warmer and friendier". I think that's what I meant when I originally said "A lot more pleasant to listen to than the 1987 CD".

That doesn't mean I don't like the 1987 version, but when I heard the black triangle, I thought it sounded better.

4. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Not bloody likely :laugh:

5. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

It was just a friggin comment...that was responded with not so nice comments a la you. I hope you guys are not an important representation of Beatle fans. Funny really, The Beatle's like Elvis were known as very nice..not snobbish,grouchy,elitists and without atittude that's...not pleasant...to say the least.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

We're not trying to be elitist. We just have no idea what you are going on about. What are you trying to demonstrate by syncing the remix with the original mix :confused:

7. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Some of you are and think only know what's better for their legacy etc...they were the first ones that loved to screw around with the sound etc.. I WAS ONLY RESPONDING TO YOUR ASSERTION THAT IT DD NOT SYNC>>And sync it did..EASILY!:righton: :wave:

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request..

9. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Don’t think anyone has mentioned the 2009s :laugh:

Michael likes this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The 1987 cd’s of Pepper and MMT sound good IMO.

kiddo4 and DK Pete like this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and the White Album.

kiddo4 and bherbert like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agree...

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed! we know better....not into adjusted history...be it how small.

14. fusdechus

fusdechus Well-Known Member

Disregarding the mixing variations, to my ears, the stereos of the first two albums sound clearer to me than the mono equivalents. Can anyone explain as to why this might be?

DK Pete likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's a give and take..the mono mixes on the earlier recordings will often give a more upfront, punchier sound but the stereo versions will give better clarity and often more brightness.

16. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

How would you rate the 2017 mono CD in comparison to the 2009 version? I think that the new one sounds a bit punchier and heavier:cool:

TongueDruid likes this.
  17. fusdechus

Were those Giles' made from the original mixing notes or new transfers?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  18. Two Channels v One Channel

No trying to be snarky, serious in the assessment two channels would give the impression of a "clearer" presentation.

Clarify "cleaner"; do you actually hear more grit/grime/grain on the mono tracks?

19. fusdechus

To me, there's something about the 2009 mono that sounds a little harsh / grating to me. Especially the hi-hats. That might be just down to the mastering, but hey, this is "Best Sounding Beatles CDs" section. The first four 1987s are no-gos according to general consensus on this forum (mono transferred in stereo).

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I once owned the EP and Singles collections but sold them off. Kind of a PIA way to listen to 'em. I wouldn't bother unless you intend to drop the bits to a hard drive.

If you do acquire these, be prepared to seek out a breakout disc or two on the used market due to packaging errors. I had to find one and was fortunate to get it at a reasonable price.

At the end of the day, I went with the IN MONO collection.

SinnerSaint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.