Best sounding beatles LP pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Iamthewalrus, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iamthewalrus

Iamthewalrus goo goo g'joob Thread Starter

What do you people think are the best sounding Beatles LP pressings. The best I've found are the original UK mono issues. I've heard that the Japanese red vinyl mono issues sound pretty good.

What is your opinion.

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I've heard MOFI was pretty good. I've got one of the MOFI boxed sets, but I don't have a turntable here in Hawaii, so I haven't been able to hear that set.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The original UK stereo pressings ain't too shabby either.

Same goes for some of the German pressings, in particular Magical Mystery Tour in its' full stereophonic glory.

4. wes

wes Senior Member

The original UK parlaphones are supposed to be the best. I have some Japanese versions on vinyl that are great.

-Wes

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Searching the archives here may help unearth several lengthy discussions on this topic, it seems to come up with some frequency. If memory serves, some of the jewels are:

Die Beatles: The German Hor Zu label version of Please, Please Me

The Beatles for Sale: Original British Stereo has a magical midrange, the "breath of life" Steve Hoffman seeks in his own mastering. The MFSL of this album, however, is the most dynamic.

The White Album - British white vinyl pressing, from the 70's I believe, that Steve has said has the best tonality of the White albums he's heard.

Magical Mystery Tour - German Hor Zu label. Real stereo versions of the singles on side two, not the fake stereo on the U.S. copy

LET IT BE: The compact disc! Hey that's according to Steve, and the only time such a recommendation has been made fer the Beatles. Typically the vinyl wins.

As far as the rest go, it's something like:

British originals - very nice midrange, very expensive when in good shape

UK re-issues in the Blue Box - a little solid state sounding, but fairly easy to find in good condition at a good price

MFSL Box - LP's have quiet surfaces, dynamic sound. Most often criticized for having heavy EQ on the bass and treble. Results in a hole in the midrange where most of the music resides. Not awful, however, and they can usually be found in very good condition in a price somewhere between the British originals and the Blue box discs.

Someone here will chime in with more info, or correct any mistakes I might have made. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.