Best-Sounding Benny Goodman Trio/Quartet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, myself.

I did listen to this yesterday, on the car stereo. There was "audible contact noise", but some of the vibe parts were a little painful, suggesting an unneeded punch up top.

Yes, some amazing music. Body and Soul. Moonglow. Runnin' Wild. Where or When. Absolute classics.

2. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Well, since this thread reminded me of it, I did snag another copy of the French RCA set I let go so long ago. (It's OOP but not HTF; Amazon Marketplace sellers are offering several new and used copies at reasonable prices.) I'll post an A/B after I've listened to it.

3. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

And on RCA Victor's notorious Dynagroove, to boot!

And now that I thought that modern reissues of old 78-era material had been often heavily NR'd, I've decided to get into the original 78 game - and picked up nearly a dozen 78s for about $25 total. Those that I picked up were some BG and Duke Ellington on Victor and Glenn Miller on Bluebird, with one BG/Charlie Christian 78 on Columbia.

I concentrated on the big-band recordings in this haul, but I may pick up a few small-combo 78s in the near future.

And yes, my first stereo system (purchased new in the '70s) played 78s, but I have not used it in a long time. I will run the turntable empty to re-break it in (re-lube).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.