Best Sounding 'Blue Train' CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aoide, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of editions of this great album. I'm looking to purchase this recording in stereo on some form of CD. To name a few contenders: Analogue Productions' SACD, Blue Note/Universal's SHM-CD or UHQCD. Coltrane fans, please let me know which is your preferred disc and why. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Rockford & Roll likes this.
  2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I like the AP SACD the best. Sounds nice, smooth and natural. Some might find it too laid back but I like that sound. Very easy on the ears.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I would think you would not go wrong with either the MFSL Gold CD or the Analogue Productions SACD. There is lots of enjoyable listening in either case.

ultron9 and Aoide like this.
  4. Aoide

Thank you! Have you had a chance to compare the two? Any differences worth noting?

5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

If you can, try to find a cheap used copy of "The Ultimate Blue Train". I think it sounds pretty good, certainly as good as the MFSL and definitely much less expensive than the AP SACD, which is probably my favorite version.

I would not go out of my way to find a black triangle CD from Japan. Not the best sounding version for the $.

My ratings for discs I've heard (which is way more than I thought I'd heard :) )
    1a) AP SACD
    1b) UCCU-5656 (Japan SHM) - great sound and an extra take of the title track
    3) The Ultimate Blue Train
    4) MFSL
    5) Classic Records DAD1028 (DVD player required)
    6) "regular" Ron McMaster US pressing
    7) Black triangle (CP35-3088 Japan)

BTW - I still have the first 4 listed here in my collection. Insanity!! :)

ggggreenisaac and Aoide like this.
  6. Aoide

Very helpful, thank you. Any EQ differences worth noting between the Japanese SHM-CD and AP SACD?

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Aoide likes this.
  8. Aoide

I saw that, but thank you! Yeah, there's so much info on this topic already, I just needed to focus on the stereo CD editions and with the 2019 release of the UHQCD (utilizing a new transfer) along with a couple others, I figured I would repose the question. But I will certainly ask over there as well!

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

In all honesty I have not compared them. I have the MFSL Gold Cd and have had such good luck and satisfaction with all the Blue Note Analogue Production SACDs I have I can't imagine you would be disappointed either way

Aoide likes this.
  10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Would you be so kind to elaborate on the differences between the numbers 1a, 1b and 2 in your list? What makes the UCCU your 1b? Thanks.

11. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The UCCU sounds very good and it has an extra track. If this were the only one I had, I would be happy. But the SACD layer of the AP disc sounds really nice, albeit at a very low level, requiring a little volume boost to get the most out of it. I think the main reason I put them 1a & 1b is that I could go either way. The differences between the two is subtle.

FWIW, that entire UCCU series of Blue Note releases has some real winners in it. I bought a bunch of them, mainly for new alternates but wound up enjoying their sound more than I thought I would.

BTW - I forgot that I had another versions of this title still in my collection and had another years ago. I still have the Blue Note SACD and I had the RVG CD. Where to put them in the rankings... I don't know. I seem to remember the BN SACD sounding very similar yo the Ron McMaster CD and the RVG CD sounding a little better than both of the McMaster versions, although it does seem to have a slight treble boost.

As for my "ranking", you have to remember that it's been many years since I've heard several of these discs, but generally, if I still have it in my collection, it beat out what was there before. :)

mikeyt, Yost and Aoide like this.
  12. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Thanks! Great explanation. I already have the Ultimate Blue Train disc. And as the AP is very expensive, I was just wondering if I should try the UCCU.

Aoide likes this.
  13. twigfarm

twigfarm Active Member

Thanks for the tip! The UCCU-5656 reissue sounds fantastic! Is there or do you have a list for the rest of the UCCU Blue Note reissues? I'd definitely pick up more of these if they're as good as Blue Train.

Thanks again!

Aoide and George P like this.
  14. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I have the "Rudy Van Gelder" edition CD. Is that one any good?

15. twigfarm

twigfarm Active Member

Found the list of UCCU reissues. Does anyone have any idea who did the mastering or what master was used for the UCCU reissue of Blue Train? And I think I'll pick up Coltrane's Ballads and Adderley's Somethin' Else from this series and see (hear) if lightning will strike more than once.

Thanks again!

16. Randolf Sears

Randolf Sears Well-Known Member

I absolutely love the McMaster version. It is one of the best sounding discs from those 80s Blue note editions. It has beautiful tonality and gives me exactly what I want. However, I am not an SACD person and prefer the CD versions because I have reference quality DAC. I bought a few of the AP SACDs and didn't like them as much as the McMasters. However, I didn't do it with Blue Train. I have a few of the other Blue Note editions on AP, MFSL, and the 80s Blue Note. In every case I liked the MFSL the most, then the McMaster, and then the AP. All sound great and it really depends on your system. If you have a decent SACD player, get the AP. But if you have a really great DAC then go for the MFSL.

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

And if can be found cheaply

Randolf Sears likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I meant, it can be found for cheap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.