Best sounding class D amps Nord Acoustics ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundlabs

Soundlabs Reference Townshend Audio Dealer. Thread Starter

Having heard various amplifiers over the years i must say that the Nord Acoustic class D amps are by far the best amplifiers i have ever heard in my system, is anyone else using the Nords and if so check out the upgraded REV D boards the already great sound has improved again, i believe everyone needs to hear them they are that good.

Ilovefooty and Andy Saunders like this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

What other amplifiers have you listened to?:)

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Soundlabs

I have owned and listened to

Krell FPB, various
    Pass Labs various,
    Spectral,
    Edge NL Reference,
    FM Acoustics 711, 811,
    Audio Research various,
    Bel Canto 1000 class D,
    Thrax,
    Aragon 4004,8008
    MSB Technology various,
    Jeff Rowland 301s,501,201,8TSI i believe,
    Linn various,
    ASR 4 box,
    ATC P4s with SCM 300,
    BAT various
    Plinius various big stereos,
    CAT
    Soulution stereo,

The above list is quoting power amps both stereo and mono if i can think of any others i will make another list.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Andy Saunders and Shiver like this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

If the 1000's are the last Bel Cantos you heard, you should try to hear the newer REF600's or Black EX Amp. Both are quite good.

5. Soundlabs

After hearing the Nords in my system i have no interest in anything else for once i fill completely satisfied i am just waiting for Max Townshend to launch hes new designed Universal Disc Player it will play every silver disc format i believe i am not into downloading music right now maybe later on if the universal player has an input for it.

6. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'm not trying to question or criticize your opinion, but I am curious how the PS Audio class D amps would compare. I haven't heard the Nords.

7. Andy Saunders

:yikes:

Did you get a listen to the Nord pre-amps at all?

8. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Oh great. More gear to ponder. :laugh:

One of the things I love about this hobby is there are roughly 37 kajillion companies making excellent gear. There's always something new to discover, and truly something for every taste.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Soundlabs

HI
    Yes the Nord pre amp is a bargain at its price point but i use a Townshend Audio Auto-transformer passive Allegri + which is the best pre amp i have heard maybe the Spectral 30sl was also great but slightly different sounding,
    I find the Allegri + is the most transparent pre amp i have heard, feed it a great front end and you will be rewarded with pure musical magic, the Allegri + at 2500 gbp and Nord top monos with REC D boards at approx 2000 gbp is the best pre-power combination i have heard for the combined outlay they are true High End Audio bargain that is my personal opinion.
    There is an Allegri + up on eBay if you have the money i would grab it with both hands then get the Nords your be happy for ever.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. Soundlabs

Townshend Audio have been manufacturing amazing products for approx 50 years.
    Max Townshend has definitely got the Allegri + 2500gbp to sound mind blowing its completely transparent to the source to my ears in my system its better than the original Allegri which was also special priced at 2200gbp.
    Check out the Townshend Audio Website for the amazing reviews and awards its won.
    B&W use the original Allegri in their reference system to design their loudspeakers,
    The Allegri + with the Nord Acoustic top monos with REV D boards is by far the best combination of pre and power i have heard in over 35 plus years regardless of cost, at a combined price of 4500 gbp you have true High End statement products performing better than combinations i have heard costing up to and over 1000,000 gbp.

11. Soundlabs

How much do the PS Audio class D amps cost ?
    How much do the REF600's or Black EX Amp cost ?
    At 2000gbp the Nords are a true bargain i do not believe for anywhere near that money anything will sound as good my opinion,
    Going by how the Nords sound in my system my wife thought i had bought a sub this was after having the REV D up grade boards fitted i done that myself very easy.
    Inside the Nords everything looks very tidy, really well made with neat wiring and tidy looking layout you can see the components look of a very high quality.

12. Samoyed

Samoyed Well-Known Member

S
    Soundlabs, how do I contact you. I have a Nord mkiii onorder from Collin and I’d love to hear your experiences.

13. Soundlabs

14. Soundlabs

HI Yes got the Nord pre-amp here right now, Very good for the money took a little while to run in tho so do not rush to judge it, Give it a few weeks to come on song it sounds great now, I would say on the warm side of neutral, The Townshend Allegri + at 2500gbp is my first choice the Nord can be bought for approx 1000gbp and is my second choice but really happy with it you definitely wont be disappointed with the Nord.

15. Andy Saunders

Have heard the Nord integrated at all?:)

16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Both my Wyred 4 Sound and Bel Canto amps use ICEPower, I notice that Nord use these and also Hypex which is a pretty comprehensive outlook, interesting.

(It looks like they are based near my fave loudspeaker company ATC?).

17. Soundlabs

No sorry, but the pre with the top monos is great, for the money an absolute High End Bargain compared to the competition. Having heard numerous amplifiers over the years i am finally content with what i have and it hasn't cost me much money when you think of other manufacturers charging multi thousands of £$s and maybe just sounding as good as the Nords, maybe ?

18. Soundlabs

All i can add is the Nords monos i have with the REV D upgraded boards and SI op-amps are the best sounding amplifiers i have ever heard regardless of price in my system period. I can honestly say you will not be disappointed, Here is my number if you fancy a chat 02036699985 ask for John.

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Of course this begs the question, with what have you replaced the best amps you've ever heard with?

unclefred and Tim 2 like this.
  20. Soundlabs

HYPEX NC1200 FROM £3495

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

Just to clarify, this is the Nord version of the Hypex NC1200 you purchased? I'm asking as there are numerous amp makers stuffing the NC1200 module in to their amps.

22. Soundlabs

I have shared my opinion of the Nord Acoustic class D amplifiers, if you disagree with my opinion that is absolutely fine, I have access to many great amplifiers and have listened and owned many great amplifiers but to me in my system the Nords sound better and are at very affordable prices when compared to the others i have owned, If you choose to spend multi thousands of £$s on amps then that is your choice, for me the HYPEX NC1200 FROM £3495 will be a High End Audio bargain YMMV. Go have a read up about it that costs nothing.

PS Running costs are also very low.

23. Soundlabs

HI yes i got an email from Colin yesterday he said it sounds better than what i have I trust hes opinion he is very modest man and the price is realistic HYPEX NC1200 FROM £3495 compared to the other brands that are using the technology, do not take my word for it, Have a look i think the cheapest alternative is £10,000 please let me know what you find.

timind likes this.
  24. Samoyed

Samoyed Well-Known Member

The new amp is said to be amazing. Sadly, SWMBO said no.

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm not looking to change amplification at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.