Best sounding david bowie lps (vinyl only)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rockadelic

rockadelic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any views on the various presses eg: UK 1st press vs UK later press or UK press vs presses from other countries. You may include special pressings also eg: mobile fidelity, ryko, anniversary releases etc...

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

HUGE number of albums and pressings to wade through... you might want to narrow it down, but i wouldn't expect across the board agreement.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A lot of the 80's green label RCAs from the UK are good, safe bets. (International; EMI stamps and also say "Tape One".

Some of the US cut Lps sound good, but it's a mixed bag.

Bananas&blow, floweringtoilet and dee like this.
  4. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Ziggy. 1st UK pressing (with Gemm logo on the back). Nuff said.

5. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

my original uk pressing of "alladin sane"

ODShowtime and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I like the Ziggy orange label UK with 6E/4E matrixes.

7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

there are countless supporters for these two and the new 2012 40th anniversary. so three favourites from one country for one title... good luck!

8. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

my original UK A-1 B-1 OLY Diamond Dogs beats my Original domestic. I love the 4oth Ziggy also.

kt66brooklyn and skisdlimit like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What's going on? At the moment there are more new threads about Bowie than about Lou Reed.

bobellis75 likes this.
  10. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I played Diamond Dogs (FLAC) the other day after not listening to a Bowie recording in ages and was inspired to start looking for a nice vinyl copy. I had one back in the day, but it went away with all my other vinyl. I think I will try to find a UK pressing.

bobellis75 likes this.
  11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The Quiet One and scobb like this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yep.

I have a number of vinyl copies from various times and the 6E/4E wins, it really rocks.

The others are good, but this pressing is one of those occasions where they just seemed to get it spot on.

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

It's too complicated to summarise as expert karmaman has said.

I'll offer a tip to those on a budget though. In the days when vinyl was cheap, I used to buy almost any Bowie pressing I saw, and I never heard a bad black label RCA International Made in West Germany Bowie LP. They don't sound like originals (they're brighter and hotter sounding), and none of them were my favourite version, but they sounded a darn site better than a lot of the UK orange label represses I heard, for example, which were dull and muted-sounding (sometimes).

If I was younger than I am and trying to start a Bowie RCA LP collection on a budget, I would get a set of those. They used to be pretty cheap, maybe they still are?

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Indeed; one of my best sounding slices of vinyl. The CD has remained on the shelf for a VERY long time.

15. BlueSpeedway

There'll be another one along soon, when Bowie and his people put out the 43rd special edition of "The Next Day" featuring 5 more songs and a T Shirt designed by Oprah Winfrey.

mooseman and john lennonist like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, Bowie and Roxy are two artists were new threads don't bug me. Can't leave it all to The Beatles;)

sound chaser likes this.
  17. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

More than any other artist I'm now sorry I parted with my original Bowie vinyl. Especially LOW & HEROES. Those things sell for a bloody fortune. I ended up paying $25 for a HEROES budget pressing. Fortunately it's clean and sounds good.

18. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

I have just collected all the Bowie RCA LP's except Hunky Dory buying multiple copies along the way. The two that stand out for me are the original UK orange label Aladdin Sane & Diamond Dogs, the easiest way to spot one is the labels are glossy.
    1E/1E or 6E/4E copies of Ziggy are expensive so i'd go with the 40th anniversary which is still available on amazon uk. UK "Low" and "Heroes" are great too (those do not have gloss labels) Italian copies of Heroes are good too, they were pressed for uk export and have uk covers.

19. BlueSpeedway

Are you sure about the Italian Heroes Gaz? Two of us put that on a "worst LP you've ever heard" type thread a while back IIRC. The one I had was absolutely TERRIBLE. Someone in Italy chimed in saying the same.

20. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

After several attempts at U.K. originals I eventually settled on a 1976 RCA Japan library copy of "Diamond Dogs", the most I've ever paid for vinyl.
    It is jolly nice though :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The 40th Anniversary Ziggy is a wonderful vinyl reissue.

richarm and thxphotog like this.
  22. gazatthebop

Were you talking about the export issue (without the SIAE stamp) they weren't sold in Italy.

23. BlueSpeedway

I threw mine away (it was so
    bad I couldn't sell it with a clear conscience!), but it was beige/tan label, UK cover (same as 1st press original glossy UK cover), record made in Italy. The Italian member agreed it sounded like a cassette or sand in the grooves, and IIRC also advised to avoid all RCA Italy LPs.

24. gazatthebop

My copy is a 77 pressing in Rome, tan label glossy cover made in the UK so the same as yours i assume. After your comment i sound tested mine against an original USA black label copy and couldn't find a winner. I looked at the dead wax and both my Italian export and USA copies were mastered at Sterling by Greg Calbi.

cmcintyre likes this.
  25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I a/b-ed this with the U.S. Orange label for like a month, and was surprised that the U.S. was superior. Since Sane is my fav Bowie, I was floored to find the UK in the racks, but so disappointed when played. If you find the US, grab it.

cmcintyre likes this.