Best sounding david bowie lps (vinyl only)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Nov 12, 2013.

1. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Thank you ! The AFL1 and APL1 numbers are indeed between brackets.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Which cd version? The WG RCA cd does not sound harsh.
    I think the original U.S. lp cut by Greg Calbi sounds great, better than any cd version and better than my black label German international pressing, but I haven't compared it to other lp versions. Extra bonus--it seems to be more common and less expensive than most Bowie lps.

skisdlimit likes this.
  3. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Forum Resident

Station To Station Allen Zentz US pressed sounds fantastic! Anyone compare it to a UK?

mooseman likes this.
  4. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I just came across a new Japanese LP of Station to Station (RVP-6027) for ¥600 (about $5) in the bins. It’s pristine, quiet, and sounds great. I have to question why I might have paid ¥4,000 for a U.K. now. (No obi, but I just don't care about obis.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

First press or early UK of all RCA (orange). Reissues - 40th Anniversary Ziggy Stardust, EMI 100 Hunky Dory and EMI Millenium Aladdin Sane.

GyroSE likes this.
  6. marcfeld69

Do they all have to be 1/1s?

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. marcfeld69

Btw, this is a first issue (1976), which I can hardly believe. Does anyone have both a Japan and a UK STS to compare? I ask because I am still learning the ropes and I don't even think I understand the concept of brightness yet. If this Japanese version is considered bright, then I have no problem with 'bright'. :)

I do have the STS analogue CD in the limited box. That seems a bit warmer but not by much.

9. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Let's Dance orginal pressing > does the US beat the UK?

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the RL x2 does, definitely.

Cassius and marcfeld69 like this.
  11. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

The Ryko 2-LP reissue of "Ziggy" (1 and 1/2 LPs, I should say) kicks butt all over the place.

12. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I just checked my US Let's Dance and side 1 has RL Masterdisk in the deadwax. (side 2 just 'Masterdisk') Sure sounds good to me. Yes, it has '80's production' but it's infinitely 'crankable'. China Girl, which I never cared much for as a teen, I find myself listening to over & over since I got the LP used a few mos ago.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  13. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

It's the best version for Station to Station...US tan label RCA

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I disagree, the original RCA orange label beats the ryko. I have both...not saying ryko is bad but the RCA orange label sounds much better with more bottom.

15. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I have a decent collection of Bowie vinyl (finally) but I haven't come across enough copies to accurately compare. Here's my thoughts:
    Hunky Dory - US original orange label... I've heard UKs are better but this sounds mighty good, and I can't justify the current prices for original UKs.
    Ziggy - 40th anniversary sounds amazing, no need to look further!
    Aladdin - I had a Canadian original (RCA tan label)... It sounded decent but I was always curious about the UKs. I just snagged a UK repress (orange label, no gatefold) for cheap and it's significantly better. Much punchier and less veiled. I'm not sure if original UKs represent another significant upgrade, but I'm pretty happy with this one!
    StS - US original sounds fantastic. Tan label, AZ initials in deadwax. I also have the repress from the box set which is very good as well, but I think the US is just a bit better.
    Lodger - UK original, not an audiophile record but sounds nice.
    Scary Monsters - UK original, sounds nice as well.
    Let's Dance - US RL, huge punchy sound on Side 1. (I've never played Side 2... A lot of filler on this album for me!)

Also my US black label of Changesonebowie sounds great.

skisdlimit, marcfeld69 and stem like this.
  16. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

1st UK press of Transformer

ifyouever likes this.
  17. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I've been buying quite a bit of Japanese vinyl lately and - in most cases - the typical problems quoted by many - mainly lack of bass and bright high end - have not been evident. My system is pretty flat up top and on bottom, so I would hear it. I recently picked up Lodger and Aladdin Sane and they sound great. However, I don't have anything to compare them to. It seems like it is impossible to find reasonably priced, good condition U.S. and U.K. Bowie LPs, so I've started buying the cheaper Japanese pressings instead (Diamond Dogs, Hunky Dory, Pin-ups are on the way to me now). I have the big Station to Station box set, several versions of Ziggy Stardust (U.S., MoFi, SACD, 40th), DVD-A of Young Americans and original pressings (and SACDs) of Scary Monsters, Heathen and Let's Dance. Not quite set yet ...

Munger74 and marcfeld69 like this.
  18. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I love my MFSL copy of Ziggy. Does anyone know how that stacks up against the UK or 40th anny?

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I have the Music On Vinyl editions of 'Outside' and 'Earthling' and they both sound amazing. Additionally, the vinyl version of 'Outside' is just the songs without any of the connecting narrative and it plays much better, as such. In fact, I think this version of 'Outside' deserves a re-appraisal. To my ears, it's one of Bowie's best ever albums and sounds like the record he SHOULD have made after Scary Monsters. Just me though...

20. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The 1981 UK Green RCA Internationals are no slouches by any means and you may have more chance of getting clean sounding copies for less money than the earlier Orange labels...

The UK 6e/4e Ziggy is a stunner, I prefer it over a 1e/1e but I can appreciate there's a 'dark chocolate' quality to the original cut, and the 40th is a great sounding record, although I would say that the 6e/4e is the overall winner in my opinion.

If you can UK copies (Orange or Green RCA) cheaply then you can't go wrong really - although I'm sure there are some great US versions I'd like to hear in comparison - my best sounding Pin Ups is actually a Canadian Orange label...

skisdlimit and GyroSE like this.
  21. peter

peter Senior Member

I have heard this said too. I have 3 UK's, but no U.S. I need to get one. Recently acquired a U.S. orange label STERLING Diamond Dogs - this was only on the orange label for a year or so, until the switch to black. Black labels, at least the early ones, are STERLING as well.

I once had an orange CDN. Ziggy, which was pretty darn nice. The UK beats it, but not by as much as you would think it should.

22. PostalBlowfish75

I might have already posted about this but I like my original UK Diamond Dogs more than the Orange label US. It's been a while since I've compared them but that's my recollection. Still, I'd line up to get a new reissue of most of the early albums if they resemble the quality of the amazing 40th Ziggy Stardust.

23. peter

peter Senior Member

I am sure you did. My memory is not what it used to be. The orig. tan U.S. ChangesOne (also a STERLING, I think) is another great U.S. RCA Bowie pressing. The UK Hunky's are, of course, awesome, but there are soooooo many quiet/acoustic passages on it, it is really hard to get a clean one.

24. PostalBlowfish75

I've never come across a tan Changesone US that I can remember (failing memories are becoming a theme) and I've never compared my US black label with Sterling and Jane (??) in the run-out to anything else, but sounds great to me.
    As far as Hunky Dory UK goes...my pockets ain't that deep! I sure wish they were.
    EDIT: I have seen a tan label Changesone, turns out I have a black label and a tan label.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

If you find a Tan RCA american Station To Station...GET IT. It's the best sounding ever. My Diamond Dogs RCA orange flix disc sounds real good too, also my Pin Ups & Aladdin Sane, Low, Heroes are very good sounding.
    I think all the american originals that i have up to Scary Monsters are hot, even the black label RCA's, why spend the extra money on imports.

RichNY likes this.