Best sounding david bowie lps (vinyl only)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Nov 12, 2013.

1. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

Love the STS, mine has AZ in the deadwax, I agree it's great!

hi_watt and mooseman like this.
  2. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I've heard both and I think the 40th is better, not that the MOFI is bad.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

My UK 1980 black label repress of Young Americans sounds immensely good. Jack Adams at Tape One mastered. Dense production on this album so hard to compare it to something like Hunky Dory.

Munger74 likes this.
  4. RichNY

RichNY Forum Resident

Thanks for mentioning the Tan RCA Station To Station was so good. Went into my local shop yesterday and they had a mint tan label with AZ in the deadwax. It was marked for $20 and they gave it to me for $10. Awesome sound. Cheers Mooseman!

5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

:edthumbs: you got a great deal for $10
    Cheers

6. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

I have been looking to fill in my Bowie collection where I am missing releases and its not been the best for my credit card tally. Just wanted to share with others that I have most of Bowies albums and have to say my 1st press of Aladdin Sane (US black RCA label) has to be a "Hot Stamper" as it is by far one of the best sounding vinyl albums in my over 1,000 records collection. It makes my sound system come alive like no other album.

alexpop likes this.
  7. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

the black label copy is not an early pressing

Rega p6, hi_watt and karmaman like this.
  8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have a U.S. tan label STERLING "Diamond Dogs." I would have thought it came between the orange and black RCA label Lp's.

I wonder how much better the orange label sounds. My tan label is near mint and dead quiet; it sounds nice and warm but not much oomph to it. If it's STERLING does that mean it will sound the same as an orange or black label STERLING?

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It should as it was likely made from the same stampers (although age of the stampers could be a factor). I have Young Americans on the tan RCA label which I have assumed is the first pressing, but now that I think about I'm not sure if it could have first appeared with an orange label. Better consult discogs :)

10. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

Original Young Americans USA copies had the orange label but quickly replaced by the tan one, followed by black

[​IMG]

rcsrich and Dino like this.
  11. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Just putting a word in for the Japan 1st Diamond Dogs (RVP-6130, with the pink obi) which sounds excellent. Don't have anything to compare it to, but it's pretty satisfying.

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

And to add to the confusion, the UK pressing held onto the older labels longer.

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I sold off a lot of my Bowie variations / duplicates a few years ago, but still have some knocking around and have been checking a few. Not saying it's a "best" but as a bargain heads-up, just played a Netherlands Scary Monsters PL-13624 RCA International and it was good, looked it up to see if it was 1980 or later (it's 1980) and the copies are surprisingly only around £2 on discogs. Thought it was worth a mention as Bowie bargains are gonna be a rare thing for newer buyers forever now I guess.

It has a nice thick glossy sleeve too (my UK original is matt, and rather flimsy).

Munger74 likes this.
  14. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I have some RCA Internationals ( Diamond Dogs , Young Americans, Pinups) from the 80's. They are outstanding sound wise, especially Pinups, and yes probably a bargin compared to others. I read in Uncut, in their Bowie special in the compilation section, that they did these repressings's around the the time they put out the original RCA compact disc's that many people covet. Probably/possibly the same source.

skisdlimit likes this.
  15. BlueSpeedway

Yeah, Ive had (mostly) good experiences with Internationals, but this one seems to be the first Dutch pressing rather than the early 1981-2 International reissues of the earlier RCA catalogue, and at £2 on discogs seemed ridiculously cheap for a good sounding Bowie LP. Even when his RCA album reissues were still cheap here in England until a couple of years ago, they were usually about £5, £2 is absurd, unless they're beat copies of course..

16. These 2 are great. And for those who missed out on the 40th Ziggy, my understanding is the Ziggy from the 5 years box is the same so look for it as a stand alone. (please correct me if i'm wrong on this)

Also, that UK EMI Millenium Aladdin Sane is ferocious. A/B'd with a US and a CDN early/first recently and I used the track Time as a reference. Piano punches deep and clear, guitar is lush and thick and Bowie's voice sounds like he's in your face. Both domestic copies did not even come close.

17. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

If one were to demo your system, which of the early Bowie records do you reach for? All things being equal in other words you have the ultimate pressing of all the LPs. Is there a consensus on the closest 'audiophile' Bowie release?

18. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I go for the generous Ryko reissues of "Space Oddity", "The Man Who Sold the World" and "Hunky Dory" in the early 90s. I was so disappionted when it was handled over to EMI to continue from "Ziggy Stardust" and it was all done cheaply to save money. I stopped collecting more after "Pinups".

19. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Question: On the Bowie vinyl issues, did the Canadian plants use the plates from the US or did they cut their own versions? I am listening to a tan copy of Young Americans (non textured cover) that is definitely a reissue and sounds good.

Also, maybe we could begin to make a list of the best sounding versions? That would be helpful :)

e.s. likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

I don't know but I used to have a Canadian Aladdin Sane, original 1st I think, that sounded quite different to a UK 1st original, and more like my old US Pin-Ups that I still have somewhere. It was kind of like the distance / difference between the first orange label UK 1970s albums and some of the later pressings with different matrices, or between early pressings and early 80s reissues.

Not much use but thought I'd mention it.

21. Slick Willie

A Discogs check reveals that they used unique masterings, All I found used the TX or TD code, with TMWSTW (RCA) using TG code.
    So.....

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  22. I have a few of those...pretty sure they are unique Don Mills cuts, but they do sound pretty good.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  23. Vinylsoul 1965

24. Slick Willie

25. Vinylsoul 1965

Uh oh. I thought it was a French pressing. Did I post the wrong one?

Linnboi likes this.