Best sounding John Coltrane releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AAF, Sep 25, 2022.

1. AAF

AAF Active Member Thread Starter

I've been wanting to get the best-sounding versions of some of Coltrane's work. I can't exactly find any sort of consensus though. There are releases from the 80s but they are split as if they were on vinyl. Supposedly some of the later releases are compressed.

So, this leads me to two questions:

1. What are the best-sounding Coltrane releases on CD

2. Are the pressings on vinyl, even though split, better than the CD?

The list of titles I'm looking for are the following:

• Ascension
    • Om
    • Meditations
    • Kulu Se Mama
    • Live in Seattle
    • Live at the Village Vanguard Again!
    • Live in Japan

2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have a few coltrane CDs from the 80s and early 90s which sound pretty good, including the live in japan one..

for my money the best sounding coltrane releases are the original impulse vinyl pressings

3. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I'm interested in hearing any reports comparing the LP sets (the 3LP Second Night In Tokyo and the 2LP Coltrane In Japan) with the 4-CD complete Live in Japan (the one I have, not heard the LPs). However, I can't imagine there being much difference. The CD set is very good, for a live recording for FM radio. Also, the LP sets would set you back quite a lot compared to the CD set, which can be found quite cheaply. Also, having 'My Favourite Things split over 2 separate LPs would knock points off the 2LP
    Coltrane In Japan for me.

That said, would I like to have the 3LP Second Night In Tokyo and the 2LP Coltrane In Japan? As my avatar suggests, of course I would! This is my favourite music release ever!

Ah, this thread just got me to order a near-mint 2LP Coltrane In Japan for ¥3,300 and has me hunting for the 3LP Second Night In Tokyo! Will report back on sound after a few days.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  4. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

When I was in Nagasaki in 2015 I went to a jazz bar who's owner saw Coltrane play there.

I think about him from time to time and hope he's still kicking around.

He also had some photos of him partying with a young Helen Mirren!

Quite a life!

addicted2, AAF and Geordiepete like this.
  5. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Oh drat! That store mailed me back ti say regrettably their copy of Coltrane In Japan is no longer in stock.

6. AAF

AAF Active Member Thread Starter

Here's hoping you find your record soon.

Geordiepete likes this.
  7. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

8. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

So, the LP box sets of Coltrane in Japan and Second Night In Tokyo have superior sound to the CD set. The LPs are deeper, fuller, more vibrant in a way that is not just a system versus system effect.

Rosenild likes this.
  9. Rosenild

Rosenild Well-Known Member

I was lucky to get my hands on a copy of the Japanese press by Coltranes concerts in Japan. Excellent pressing.

I'm going to purchase Ascension - would you prefer His Masters Voice or Impulse? Obviously I'm speaking of the first mono pressings.

10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I have that on CD not LP so maybe someone else will answer.

11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

All CD editions of Ascension (to my knowledge) going back to The Major Works feature a splice where they briefly sum to mono at the side break.

Geordiepete likes this.
  12. Rosenild

Rosenild Well-Known Member

I'm still eager to know which version of Ascension is better.

His Masters Voice? Mono over stereo?

13. instantperogi

instantperogi New Member

If you get both of those releases, do you get all of the tracks from the 4xCD set? I’ve got an opportunity to buy Second Night in Tokyo for a decent price but want to make sure I know which one to hunt for next. ☺️

14. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Yes, the 2CD Live in Japan has and the two vinyl sets have the same tracks. The CD set is just shy of 4 hours 7 minutes. The Coltrane in Japan vinyl set is 2 hours 8 minutes 45 seconds. The vinyl set Second Night in Tokyo, minus the bonus interview, is 2 hours 2 minutes 33 seconds.

So, the vinyl sets combined give over 4 hours 11 minutes of recording versus 4 hours 7 minutes on the CD. The extra length on the LPs is due to more of the introductions and applause being included and that when a track spans two side, the flipped side goes back about 20 seconds to help the flow from being abruptly cut.

The interview, on the last side on Second Night in Tokyo, is 11 minutes 46 seconds.

15. instantperogi

instantperogi New Member

Cool, thanks! Second Night in Tokyo is getting shipped today. My cats are going to hate it!

Geordiepete likes this.
  16. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

The cool cats love it!