Best sounding Man Who Sold the World on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluenexus, Nov 25, 2011.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's the same as the Ryko clear vinyl but squeezed onto 2 sides vs Ryko's 3. some argue the EMI's are superior sounding but as they are sourced from the same Ryko masters, it matters little. but yes, digitally sourced.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

£500 is a fair price in 2013. recent bowie releases on coloured vinyl are fetching up to £200. i paid £100 for the Mercury cover (i.e. no record) in VG+ condition (similar to the £500 copy mentioned) but i'd be "happy" to pay £750 for a M/M copy were i to see one (and miraculously have £750 to spare!).
    i don't like them, but plenty here do. these 1990 LPs sell for decent amounts, £25>£50, but i'd recommend finding an RCA kick cover for that money.
    NB: the bonus tracks on this one use poor sources for some reason. they all exist in superior quality elsewhere. also the version of Holy Holy is the 1972 re-recording, not the original 1970 single as claimed.

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Thanks - I deleted my reply after reading the whole thread! I will get a Kick cover RCA but the EMI reissue Dress cover looks good for the cover.

5. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

You are awesome! That is exactly what I needed. Went and checked my copy with your information. Vibrant colors and definitely the right matrix numbers. It is legit and in VG+ condition. Fantastic and thank you very much!

6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

actually the EMI cover is not good when you see it "in the flesh", especially up against an original. if you want decent repro of the cover grab the Japanese replica mini LP... just don't play it ;)
    good news. i suspected as much when you said you didn't hear the skip...

Paully likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The only specimen I've seen in the flesh was at V&A's "David Bowie Is" where a framed copy hung on the wall. Wonder who.owns this.....

It's Felix likes this.
  8. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

[​IMG]

stamped matrix. The UK dress cover was first issued in April 1971 five months after the US cartoon cover came out, it was replaced in November 1972 by the RCA edition

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Paully likes this.
  9. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

I prefer this one. Sounds quite good, maybe a bit bass-heavy. But then, the bass player produced it.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Hi Five likes this.
  10. EasterEverywhere

I have a US original Mercury white label promo that I think sounds great.It's one of those records you find sometime that was kicking around a radio station for years.The record was pretty much unplayed when I found it.Cover has lots of wear,date stamps,writing in black marker,and colored tape on it.I couldn't have paid more than a dollar for it.

11. EasterEverywhere

THIS is another one that was heavily bootlegged.

12. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Yes, you have to look at the matrix numbers. The originals have machine-stamped numbers, the fake has them scratched by hand. Plus the fake's cover is ridiculous as it shows signs of peeled tape.

McLover likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I own the UK original Drag Cover. I got Bowie to sign it. He was impressed with the condition, as NM copies are not seen, and mine is.

Probably my most valuable LP.

Cassius, chaz, e.s. and 5 others like this.
  14. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I like my Simply Vinyl pressing very much.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I always wondered what their secret was to SV mastering, I think they used choice CDs, and then tube amps to keep the sound warm.

16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Peter Mew's EMI 1999 master cut to vinyl... the last place i'd be looking for the best sound.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

gazatthebop,

Have no fear, you own the real deal. The stamped matrix numbers are period correct for Mercury LP output of the era.

18. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

Just bagged a pre Mainman Canadian Dynaflex 72 repress. WOW! The vinyl is relatively thick for a Dynaflex. Awesome pressing!

19. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Oh yes. Just got this today and you are right. The bass just sounds so ..... Analogue and alive. Brilliant.

20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Actually that is what I have. Sounds brilliant

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

12 inch CD.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked up ' I think counterfeit repressing version a while back same sleeve texture' but faded photo/cover.Sounds digitally sourced.

23. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I spent some time comparing a legit US Mercury cartoon cover with a US RCA orange dynaflex of TMWSTW and found very little difference. Both were very nice.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Bowie calls it the "comic strip" cover version. FYI

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Terrible sound (1999 digital remix) -Ironically they fetch good price on Ebay - that's were all my SV Bowie went.

These are so heavily revised they sound like different recordings to the originals.