Best Sounding (No DVD-A) Donald Fagen, "Nightfly?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stever, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The Pioneer web site claims this player sports a Triple 192KHz/24-bit (3x2 channel) PCM to analog decoder for Superior Sound Quality (Burr Brown). No mention is made on how the unit decodes and processes delta sigma (DSD) data. I am pleased to see your comment that it sounds decent (the universal APEX 7701 I owed did not). I think universal DSD and DVD-A bass management and time based correction in the receiver will appear once HDMI interconnects make an appearance next year.

Richard.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

INTERESTING! My West German Target CD has the EXACT same number with the exception of the very last number. Mine is 03, not 02! Possibly Gardo could take a look at his CD, since he hears the same digital buzz.

Let's all try to get to the bottom of this "Digital Buzz" thing!

Chris C

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Rudy...I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but the first time I heard the extra measures I thought that it was really cool, now it annoys me too! I always get excited the first time I hear a song I like that features something different or with studio chatter at the beginning, but after the first time it "ALWAYS" gets in the way!

Good examples of this are those Liberty Legendary Masters Series or the Capitol Collectors Series, where they occasionally threw in the session count-ins or session chatter. As a (sometimes) radio announcer those bad cues can play bad on-air tricks and the AVERAGE radio listener could care less about them. I must admit that even our own beloved Steve Hoffman has done this on occasion with his GREAT work on those MCA Vintage Music Series. I personally would like those rarities to be a part of the package, but instead of tacking them directly onto the front of a song, how about putting them a few seconds AFTER the previous song and let it roll to the next track when the actual take would start??? Just MY opinion!

There are truly TWO exceptions to the above comments...For some reason I can't hear the songs 1,2,3 by Len Berry or "Rock Around The Clock" anymore without the "Hoffman" count-ins! SOMETIMES they work!

Chris C.

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Yeah, I have to agree about those extra measures. But while you're waiting you can enjoy the spiffy sound.;)

The other change in the remix that I do NOT like is the omission of that lovely female sigh during the intro to "Ruby Baby." What possessed Fagen or Scheiner or whomever to leave that out?!?

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You're right. That's the only thing that I did not like about the otherwise wonderful 5.1 mix. I like the extention on GFS. BTW, the sigh is still there in the stereo version , which keeps the original mix, and kills any other CD OR LP version.

6. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

It's there. You have to go into the dvd menu and select two channel stereo first. ( re: dvd-a )

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You waited ten years to repeat something I said in the last post??

Simon A likes this.
  8. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Just thought I'd remind those reading this for the first time in reference to the dvd-a of nightfly .

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.