Best sounding small bookshelf speakers (emphasis on small)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PineBark, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher Thread Starter

I'm looking for the best sounding pair of small bookshelf speakers (that will actually reside on a bookshelf) for nearfield listening in a home office.

Parameters:
    • Max height limited to 14" (~350mm) [Smaller is even better.]
    • Max width of 9" (~225mm) [So no "cheating" by turning taller speakers on their sides.]
    • Depth limited to max of ~12" (~300mm)
    • They will be used with a subwoofer, so deep bass reproduction is not an issue, as long as they go low enough to smoothly integrate with a sub
    • No limitations regarding sensitivity (I already have both tube amps and solid state amps available to use, so I'm only looking for passive speakers. And in a nearfield setting, they don't need to play especially loud.)
    • For the sake of casting a wide net, assume that price is not a limitation (Of course in reality price will be a factor, but I want to understand all the possible options.)
    A few contenders:
    • BBC LS3/5 style mini-monitors (Harbeth, Rogers, etc.)
    • KEF LS50
    • Gallo Strada
    Does anyone have suggestions for other models to consider within those parameters? Or comments from people who are using any of those models in a nearfield setting?

bhazen likes this.
  2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I own both the KEFs and ELAC Uni-Fi’s. Both have been recently updated, but I think highly of both models. The ELACs are 4 ohm, however.

3. PineBark

My solid state amp can probably handle ELACs at 4 ohms.

Do the KEFs sound noticeably better than the ELACs, given their relative prices?

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

It’s tough to compare, as I have them in different rooms connected to different amps. Before buying the KEFs though, I did compare them to the ELAC Debut F6 floorstanders and found that the KEFs had greater detail. The ELACs replaced some 15 year old Polk’s on a the secondary system and joined an existing ELAC subwoofer. In comparison to the Polks, the ELAC have greater bass response, which required me to turn down the volume on the subwoofer. They’re in a large room, so the sub is still required, but at a lower volume. I also connected the KEFs to a matching KEF subwoofer for use in a smaller room, It had the effect of taking some of the performance pressure away from the KEFs, making them that much better IMO.

PineBark likes this.
  5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I use AEI Aegis.
    Very pleased.
    Go surprisingly deep.
    Imaging first class. Smooth also.

PineBark and bhazen like this.
  6. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The BBC LS3/5 are excellent.
    But the prices are not.

ls35a and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  7. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Hello BackScratcher,

I think the LS 50 is hard to be beaten in this . With its coaxial driver its perfect for nearfield use.
    I have not auditioned the new model yet, but reviews here in germany said that it is better in all categorys.

ls35a and PineBark like this.
  8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

PineBark likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Actually reside on a bookshelf? Easy. LS3/5A's (currently made by Graham/Chartwell, Falcon, Rogers.)

Harbeth P3ESR's maybe, but I think they're meant more for free space.

Don't wish to spend that kind of money?
    Triangle BR02's, stunning speakers in the sub-$500 range. Only potential issue may be they're rear-ported -- but that's fixable with foam bungs.

10. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Caveat: I have not heard these, but I have an older pair of Genelec 1030A near-field monitors that are outstanding!

So I'd at least consider Genelec among your options.

This model meets the dimensions. They may have others. I was introduced to Genelec speakers when supervising television mixes in some of LA's top audio facilities. The make excellent gear. Again, I've never heard this model.

ETA: Typical of Genelec these are Bi-amped powered speakers.

Genelec 8030C 5 inch Powered Studio Monitor

11. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

I went through a bookshelf speaker search a few years back... in the Boston area as well, and finally settled on the PSB Imagine Minis. PSB doesn't get mentioned on this site all that much but I've been very pleased with the sound; normally listening about 5 feet from each speaker. The dimensions fit within your reqs but if you look into them you may want to call attention to the connections on the rear base. A bit funky and depending on what you're using could add a bit of depth. Though they're less than 9 inches out of the box. Generally between $700-800. Good luck!

12. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

IF you can spare .25" on height, then the Ascend Sierra 2EX would be an absolutely fantastic choice.

That said, if they are too tall, then I think it would be hard to go wrong with the LS50s with the sub. They are super small, which is what it seems like you are looking for.

13. PineBark

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions and comments. Now I've got lots more investigation to do.

14. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I've had LS 50 and now Neat Iota which is downright stunning on my Naim Unitiqute.
    Sold on the kefs (but not a bad word about these)

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Look at the NHT SuperZero 2.1 or SuperOne 2.1 monitors. Way below your budget, but you can order them through Amazon and return them if they don't suit your taste.

I absolutely love my SuperZeros (with a sub of course), but have never listened to them on a bookshelf. Bring them out into the room on proper stands, and wow. Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I preferred the inexpensive NHTs to a pair of Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers. Also preferred them (sacrilegious I know) to the LS50s.

csgreene, defmoot and SpeedMorris like this.
  16. PineBark

KEF LS50s certainly get lots of great reviews. My main concern with them in my specific situation is potential muddying of the sound from the rear port when placed very close to the rear wall.

Have any of you folks with KEF LS50s ever had them placed that way?

17. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I have heard them this way. Sure they sound better away from the wall, but they didn't sound muddy. They had less soundstage and were slightly muffled, but still sounded good.

18. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

I linked some Genelec speakers I have never heard earlier.

These however are the direct replacements for my 1030As--the Genelec 8040Bs--and I have heard these (a lot). My editing partner bought a pair after developing serious speaker envy after hearing mine.

These are truly outstanding. Roughly $1200 each. Fantastic sound quality. Incredibly accurate. As mentioned, Genelec are favorites in many of LA's top mixing facilities. And while not "cheap," they would not break the bank. Try to hear a pair if you possibly can before you make a decision.

One one dimension (the width) they run over @ 9.33 inches. Do you have 0.33" of wiggle room?

If so, I can not recommend these more highly as near-field reference monitors. Fantastic!

Bill

Genelec 8040B 6.5 inch Powered Studio Monitor

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    rednedtugent likes this.
  19. OneMoreBunchOfAtoms

OneMoreBunchOfAtoms Well-Known Member

No no no. Don't support KEF or anything like that. I have a pair of KEF speakers that I have never listened to. I can see they aren't good. Instead, get a book if you can read German, then design it yourself, then build it, then enjoy.

20. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Nothing beats (I have tried) LS 3/5a
    But not Rogers, they sound nasal
    Chartwell and Harbeth (biwiring) sound best
    Spendor also sound very good

if it shall be more modern speakers, then Falcon LS 3/5a or Spendor S3/5
    If it shall be cheap, Rogers DB101 do a great job (poor mans’ LS 3/5a)
    Monitor Audio 1 (or so) once heard, also pretty good

still - spend the money for the originals. If you ever sell them, you make more.

21. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I have a pair of Neat Motive SX3 and I really love them.

They fit your size requirements and work well near a wall.

22. PineBark

I used to have some of the original NHT Super Zeros. They did sound quite good. What I'm looking for would be the next step up in sound quality from those, e.g. slightly better mid-bass response, a little more treble extension, a bit more cohesive imaging, etc. Nothing dramatically different, just minor improvements all around.

What I'm really trying to find out with this thread is: What's out there, and how much would I have to spend to get to that next level?

timind likes this.
  23. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Just get LS3/5a and everything will be just fine - including the best imaging you can imagine

24. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I use Elac B6 on actual bookshelves with good results.

25. PineBark

I heard some larger Genelec studio monitors a few years ago. Aren't all their models active (powered)?

Spy Car likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.