Best sounding small bookshelf speakers (emphasis on small)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PineBark, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

My current recommendation would be the Alpha P5's from PSB. Though they are 9 1/2" wide, I'm not sure if you can have that extra inch of room once you add up the extra half on both speakers.

2. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

As far as I know, they are.

I may be incorrect about that, but I've never encountered non-powered Genelecs.

The bi-amped feature is a huge part of their appeal. They will fill any room (despite being designed as nearfield) and are crisp, clean and accurate.

If I think of my most cherished possessions, my Genelecs might be at the top of the list. They are that good. Really. Superb.

Bill

3. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Sorry, I originally missed that you wanted passive speakers.

Bill

4. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I hear great things about the Ascend Sierra Luna. Have not heard them myself but many compare them to their flagship bookshelf the S2.

5. user119861

user119861 Forum Resident

6. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher Thread Starter

The prospect of ribbon tweeters is quite enticing. Ascend apparently only sells direct, so no opportunity to listen in advance of purchase. 30-day return policy is good, but returning them incurs shipping charges both ways. Hmmm....

mike catucci likes this.
  7. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Harbeth P3ESR XD, case closed!

IMHO They are the best small nearfield monitor you can buy, find a dealer and have a listen.

8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Can't go wrong with Dynaudio, as mentioned above. The Emit M10 fits your dimensions and is incredibly full sounding.

9. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I have only heard the Sierra 2EX and that is what I own, but they are a fantastic company. I really couldn't be happier with my speakers and thought they sounded better than bookshelf speakers costing hundreds of dollars more that I auditioned. I am willing to bet the lunas sound fantastic.

10. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

Omega Super 3i. Super efficient and fast speakers but need a bit of break in. Awesome with a sub for near field.
    Super 3i Monitor Speakers

11. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

12. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

amphion one15

13. kaikki on aivan jees

kaikki on aivan jees Forum Resident

::raises hand:: I have a pair of LS50s "embedded" in a bookcase that's floor to ceiling -- my listening room is also a library and home office.

The pair are about 6'-7" apart, and 7'-4" from the best listening spot -- so near field. This close the "sweet spot" is actually pretty wide.

Lower bass isn't there, of course, but mid base is surprisingly OK. I like to think the books and fireplace act like a giant baffle, and since the speakers are as if they were in a wall, there isn't any front wall dissonance.

Been toying with getting a REL for the lower end, but I have to say the existing setup is pretty nice.

PineBark likes this.
  14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:laugh:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  15. PineBark

In my case, the speakers will be about 4 feet apart, and "nearfield" is about 4 feet away from the speakers. If I lean forward, I could reach out and touch them from my desk chair.

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

As a loudspeaker engineer I've long admired KEF's design prowess. Plus it comes in cool colors! On the other hand, the LS50 didn't move me too much. On the other other hand, it has just been updated. As you noted, return policies are a consideration. I would NOT buy anything that was not returnable for a reasonable fee. Even the best speaker in the universe may not sound good to YOU in YOUR setup and room.

Also, even with a subwoofer, I'd prefer a 6.5" cone for less midbass strain, all other things being equal which they often are not (and less important as close as you sit). I'd also want something with a flat front, and maybe sticking OUT from the bookshelf some for less acoustic inteference. A waveguide design for controlled dispersion can also be good for that. Be sure to experiment with tilt and if you can play with shelf height.

Back to the original quest, I feel like there should be some significantly better and of course more expensive options, but I'm blanking out at the moment.
    - s400 detailed description — Buchardt Audio might fit? Too tall by a smidge? My friend really likes his A500 but as an active DSP speaker it is a different animal than S400.
    - Dynaudio has some pricey models, undoubtedly fine speakers.
    - Polk LSiM sure has some champions around here, though I don't know if they fit your size or if they are available any more.
    - A Quad S2 would fit-I've been curious to hear those but have never managed to.

PineBark likes this.
  17. Drekow

Drekow Forum Resident

I second the recommendation that you consider the Audience speakers, especially the ClairAudient 1+1 v.2+ or v.3. Fantastic speakers especially with a subwoofer. I have owned mine for 3 or 4 years. I like them better than the KEF LS50s which I also owned.

18. alpentalic

alpentalic Well-Known Member

I’m loving my Salk WOW1’s. I had never heard a speaker with such minimal coloration, great detail, and neutral character. Salk veneers and finishes really set them off aesthetically. Bass is quite good for the speaker size but a sub really fills in the low range. Highly recommended.

19. eirismania

eirismania Forum Resident

Spendor 4/5 or the 3/1

20. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Harbeth P3ESR is very nice but the new Rogers LS 3/5a Classic has a sparkle over the Harbeth.

LS50 can’t match the Harbeth or Rogers for sure but it’s much cheaper. The KEF R300 is a better speaker than the LS50.

Benchmark SMS1 ain’t too bad a speaker. Kinda in between the Harbeth P3ESR and M30.

The Xavian Bon Bonus is very musical. Nice speakers. Not too pricey.

If you looking for something more fun, try the Serbo Franklin Accordio or Penn Audio Cenya.

21. Chris_uk

Chris_uk Member

edifier r1280t

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have a pair of these excellent speakers. They are rear-ported however so need some rear space.

DougT likes this.
  23. PineBark

A big THANK YOU to everyone that has contributed suggestions and comments to this thread. I now have an opportunity to purchase a slightly used pair of Harbeth P3ESRs for a very attractive price. I've decided to go ahead with those (at least for now). I also find several other models suggested here to be quite intriguing, so at some point over the next year, I may also pick up a different pair to compare directly to the Harbeths in my setting. (If it turns out that I prefer the others, I know I can easily resell the Harbeths, as there's always demand for them.)

24. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I did a small speaker search also here in Boston about 6 years ago. I bought Dynaudio X12's, and enjoy them to this day. No real motivation to "upgrade."

I started out looking for something even smaller, but after bringing home (the high end store in Waltham knows me and so I could borrow their demos) Neat Iotas and something from Totem, I went up to the Dynaudios and stopped there.

25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

yes, that is what the port plugs are for. they have two levels of port size depending on distance from wall. next to wall you plug the port completeley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.