Best sounding vintage stereo receiver for under $300

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mercury77, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Original poster will not share his speaker model as I suspect he is not ready to purchase a vintage receiver at the moment. Frankly, I think he just wanted to know the best up to $300 vintage receiver.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Mercury77 likes this.
  2. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Well-Known Member

I am returning a problematic Sansui 500a to the shop I purchased it from, so looking for a replacement tube receiver if you have any in your stash. Thx!

3. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

Luxman L11

4. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

In my experience, a cheap vintage receiver is about like a cheap vintage Porsche. They both get expensive real fast.

5. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

I have Brand New In the Box Audio Research 160M Mono Blocks...20K and they are all yours (MSRP is 30K)

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have both the Yamaha CR-620 and the CR-1020 receivers. Although the latter is much more powerful, the former sounds sweeter to my ears at mid volume. Both are excellent performers.

7. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Check out a NAD 325bee. Can be bought for $100/150. Worth much more.

ggjjr likes this.
  8. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Sony STR-7055 and related are pretty nice. Well known for having a better that average phono stage too.

9. jdl

jdl New Member

Bumping an old thread here - its my first post so please let me know if this is not the right etiquette. I am curious about Allied 333's suggestion about adding a 220uF 350v cap between the voltage doubler and the output transformers. Would this be negative terminal to the positive of the second doubler cap and then positive to transformers? Looking at the schematic, is it best before or after the connection to R79 and R80? This looks like an interesting mod but I am unsure of how to implement it. Thanks for all the great insight.

10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

In one of my systems, right now the guest bedroom system, I use a 'mid-line' 1989 Sony, solid state, receiver (that I bought new in 1989).

It kicks butt, cranks, and takes no prisoners!! Sounds great and it's heavier than a bulldozer, really heavy transformer, and it's bullet proof!! :) A most excellent working man's amp. Still works and sounds perfect. That's back when Sony really made some really good gear! 1989 was a good year for Sony.

I'm sure you could pick up one of those used for $200, or maybe less. Shipping would cost a lot though - it's heavy!

AM/FM radio sounds wonderful too if that's what you're looking for. I love mine! It's a keeper.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    MikeJedi likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm printing this out! a thing of beauty! lots of laughs!

12. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'll take the Eight Deluxe!

I have and use a 1987 Sansui AU-X901 as my main amp & seriously Love it !!!! It's my most favorite - forever amp.

Here in the USA the AU-X701 & AU-X901 are highly collectible in the Sansui community. Yes, Sansui's 1st Alpha.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Meehael likes this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You should tag him or quote his post so he gets a notification. @allied333

14. jdl

jdl New Member

Allied 333, thanks for this suggestion about adding a 220uF 350v cap between the voltage doubler and the output transformers. Would this be negative terminal to the positive of the second doubler cap and then positive to transformers? Looking at the schematic, is it best before or after the connection to R79 and R80? This looks like an interesting mod but I am unsure of how to implement it. Thanks for all the great insight. (Thanks Synthfreek!)

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

No. It is simply the positive of cap on the HV output and negative to ground.

16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Another very good sounding receiver is the Allied 395. One owner stated sounded identical to a Marantz 2270. But, being old you will need to replace the 1000uF power supply capacitors with 2200uF @ 100 volts and the speaker capacitors with Silmic II 1000uF @ 50 volts. You need a spacer for the Silmic II capacitors to fit the larger 1" capacitor clamps. 1/4" foam tape seal would work.

17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I have a STRD790 I think from 1990. 80 W per. It really cranks like crazy. Almost 30 pounds of pure power. Even tho it’s made in Malaysia pretty solid little receiver !!

bluesky likes this.
  18. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

Samsui is you can find one just look for AU####

bluesky likes this.
  19. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

I’ll back the Marantz 2230. Had mine for years and pairs with some 60s dynaco speakers as a small 2nd setup.

Currently my main amp is being serviced so the marantz is driving the otherwise full Audio Note system and doing a great job.

After all these years the 2230 keeps surprising me with how great it can sound. And radio, that we use regularly, sounds great too!

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. jdl

jdl New Member

Thank you, this makes sense. Glad I asked and look forward to trying it.

21. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Pioneer never = "best sounding". EVER!

But a receiver that surprised the hell out of me because of its sound was Philips 7831. I would also recommend some Sansuis and some Sherwoods. I like the Sherwood S-7900A, but lower powered ones OF THAT VINTAGE could be had for around $300. I would not recommend newer Sherwoods. Also never heard a JVC I liked either.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The way prices have been lately not sure $300 will get you much anymore.

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i find great deals on vintage receivers on craigslist. trustworthy too if you can try before you buy.
    picked up a marantz 2252 for $140, cleaned it up and sold it for $450.

24. avanti1960

25. avanti1960

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.