Best sounding vintage stereo receiver for under $300

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mercury77, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

3. Mike31853

Mike31853 Active Member

Me too. Love my Marantz 2330 but not easy to get under $300 that doesn't need a ton of work. Have to get lucky at an estate sale.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  4. Mike31853

Mike31853 Active Member

2230 i mean!

5. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

If you can find it in good working order this one is nice. It was a few years ago but I got a restored unit in great shape for about $220

[​IMG]

6. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

Carver TX11 B is excellent. Great FM and AM pulling in far out stations with excellent seperation.

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The Philips 78xx series are better than most receivers. The Marantz do not outperform the Philips either IMO.

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- There is little available in respected brand name vintage with 30+ watts available in operating condition for $300 in 2021. Sansui seems to have the best deals in lower cost.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Also, unless you are a tech, you want a recapped receiver. 30 watts recapped start about $350 on ebay.

10. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

What speaker would you have in mind to run it?
    Where would you send the SX-750 to have a full restoration including full recap and getting it done the right way?
    I bought the receiver 2 months ago and hook it up last night. It actually is a very nice sounding unit. I have a 1981 Sony STR-V55 integrated amp in fine shape too besides its gonna be needing a recapping job soon so I have to make a decision which one to send out. I like the looks of the sony being a silverface. But of course the pioneer sounds more solid. Any takes?

11. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Ha! :laugh:

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

An Onkyo TX-2500 is a very good sounding receiver. They start about $150. The Onkyo are not failing yet.

13. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Mine was done by Modular Electronics here in Atlanta and they are the only local place I would take a piece of vintage gear to. I run a set of original Advents with it and I'm completely satisfied with the sound.

14. Classic Car Guy

I get you. I'll try to use this amp for 2 weeks and see if I really wanna switch. I love my old sony thou the pioneer sounds a bit better. Besides my main system, I just use this system for recording or when I have a visitor. But I have only 1 spot for having a full rebuilt so Ill decide. The only thing that's stopping me on the pioneer is not a full silverface.
    Ill keep that in mind and thanks for the heads up and info.

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

OP "was last seen Sept 24, 2020"

16. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

Carver TX11A-I recapped and realigned mine and it is simply great.

17. Classic Car Guy

This mama-jama sounds really good. Its got a lot of pleasing power. Just like what you said it has a solid "sweet spot" I really like pushing the amp that sounds rich and glorious not over wattage for the size of my room. Its giving me that "ummph" sound that you can only hear right before the breakup point. The speakers are really travelling far and pushing. I though that it was gonna pop-out of the basket. I think I'm gonna go with this amp. Anyways its got the sound and dual tape monitor that I need for recording. I'm gonna call your buddy and see if he'll have the time to full dress mine. There's a lot of guys in here that are putting ads. I don't wanna take it to anyone a just to screw-driver it.
    Thanks...

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

What happened to the original poster?

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I guess they found a receiver.;)

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

It would be fun if they shared what they bought.

jwoverho likes this.
  21. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

I had a 20 year old Sony 5.1 receiver that lost a channel, replaced with a 20 year old Onkyo - much better sounding :)

22. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

Still an interesting thread...

This is another great sounding sleeper - big, fat, surround-like sound. FM tuner also sounded very, very good. Only down side are its twist to lock binding posts that accept only thin wire.

Kenwood KR-950b

stereonomono - Hi Fi Compendium: Kenwood KR-950B

23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Kenwood KR-950B is 80 watts per channel. Powerful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.