Best sounding vintage tubes for audio..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Steve,thanks for the opinions on tubes and vintage gear.It's a help for us trying to get going in the sport.

2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes indeedy, what Henry Love said...very helpful for us newbies.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Guys, we assume when we buy vintage gear that we just accept that they designed the thing with certain tube types. Pointless to bitch that they didn't use a 12AT7 when they just didn't. That being said, as I've always stated, in my Mac 30's and my Marantz 7C the Telefunken 12AX7 sounds the best. Always will! Spend the 30 bucks and get the real thing. Why deprive yourself?

Same with the other tube types. My favorite 12AU7 is the clear top RCA. Shrugs, but it only works for me in the vintage gear that I have. It might not work in your modern system or your Fisher or Scott or whatever. Guidelines are just that.

The metal 1614 output tube that came in McIntosh MC-30's for 7 years are nice tubes, I have a set that came with my Mac. I feel the lowly GE 6L6GC sounds the best in those amps; more midrange magic, less flash. But, THIS IS THE SOUND I LIKE; YOU MIGHT NOT!

And so on. Compared to some of the tubes mentioned by the Tube Masters in the above posts it seems like the Mullard, Bugle Boy, Tele, etc. are pretty common (but still expensive). If I had nothing but time on my hands I guess I would want to try out every tube brand ever manufactured to find my personal favorite bargain tube. However, time is tight (as the MG's might say) and I let other people do that work for me. When in doubt though, I still use the Mullards, Amperex, Genelex, Telefunken tubes that are near to my heart (and pocketbook). They are (relatively) common and never have let me down. These are also the same tubes that came in my vintage gear to begin with. Why fartknock around? If someone wants to send me a matched pair of CBS 7318's, I'll be happy to stick them in my Mac 30's. Until that happens, I'm going with my old favorites..

4. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

The best sounding 12AT7's in my VTL tiny triodes are the 5-star GE 6201. I was very disappointed with gold-pin Valvos. However, I haven't tried a Siemens ECC 801 S yet.

BTW, I just bought a pair of VTL DeLuxe 120/50 monoblocks off eBay. Any opinions on the best sounding 807 tubes?

Arne

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Steve and all,

I use 5751 tubes instead of 12AX7 where possible. They are cheaper and more consistent in quality. I use these mainly in Ampex tape recorders. This is a tough application for tubes. With 12AX7's they have to be hand selected for low microphonics. The reason why the German and British 12AX7's are better is that they made uprated premium ones. In the USA, 5751 tubes were the upgrade. I stick with Telefunkens or Mullards in McIntosh, Marantz, and tube tuners but use the 5751's in recorders and mixers.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The 70's variety are, but have not heard that vintage. Purchased my pair from Tubeworld.

7. cowboy

cowboy New Member

Someone mentioned in another thread about just "following the leader". Guilty as charged. Threads like this are a HUGE help to people like me. Using other peoples past experiences and knowledge to help me make intelligent decisions---sounds like a good idea to me. I tell my history students "It's not what you learn ABOUT history, it's what you learn FROM it." Thanks to the information on this forum I've retubed my
    Mc 30's (most of the tubes that came with it were either wrong or tested weak) with good choices, based on other peoples experiences, and still haven't gone over 250 bucks. It would have cost a lot more in money and time to trial and error this on my own. Thanks to everbody here I'm learnin"......

8. Carusoracer

Carusoracer New Member

I'm looking for some NOS pre 60's 12AU7 tubes namely Raytheon pre 59' D getter,Mullard 10m, Pre 59 Amperex D getter Holland, Marconi Toast plate...Anyone out there. I do not need pairs just individual tubes.

Regards

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Try and contact TVR2500 over at the tube asylum board. He has 500 or more 12au7 type tubes.

10. audio

audio New Member

This is a sub for 12AU7?

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's TONS of subs for 12AU7s. Common driver. Found in tuners, etc.

12. PakProtector

PakProtector New Member

ummmm, maybe sometimes. Actually, once so far. I don't even need to take off my mittens to count that on my thumb. It is a Citation II Harmon-Kardon. This is the first amp I have considered leaving alone( but it is getting some PS upgrades ).

I'd be with you on an amp which cost an order of magnitude more, but all the well regarded commercial stuff has bean-counter-required design short falls. I don't feel the need to leave it alone, I'm not in the collect/re-sell business. I am in the enjoy my Hi-Fi business.

Ride it or sell it to somebody who will.
    Applies to Marantz 9's, Vincent Black Lightning's, and CBR900RR-Arr-Arr-Arr....
    cheers,
    Douglas

13. audio

audio New Member

I'd love some ideas here. I'm trying out this phono pre with a 12AU7. Any ideas for something that would sound real chocolate creamy velvety smooth? I'm going to try Steve's favorite, the RCA clear top, tonight.

14. Steve Hoffman

Gonna be too bright if you're looking for a rich chocolate cream sound. I use them in my Mac 30's to add some bite.

You want creamy? Try the Mullard 12AU7; older the better. Cheap and creamy..

15. boead

boead New Member

16. audio

audio New Member

Got it. I'll try one tonight. I've got a pile of them.

Do you still feel that Mullard 12AX7s are too bright? Many people have said this. I find it to be extremely dependant on the piece they are used in. I have a power amp wherein Mullards sound warm and smooth...Telefunkens bright. Then in this phono stage, both Telefunkens and Mullards sound bright....Amperex sound smoothest. There is some guy on the web......some crazy genius DIY guy(no, I'm not talking about Douglas:D) who claims that Telefunken 12AX7s are actually horrible......that they are bright and thin. He claims they work well in vintage gear because they balance out the dark and murky character. I'm not sure what to think at this point, other than to have whatever tubes on hand I need and try all of them unit I find the right combo....as it sounds like you obviously have done.

17. audio

audio New Member

18. Steve Hoffman

Most applications I've tried the Tele in reveal it to be on the dull side not the bright side. You should find a neutral piece of gear and use it as a control... Might make it easier. In my VAC linestage from a few years ago the Tele really made the thing sound creamy; every other 12AX7 in there sounded too edgy. So go figure.

Mullard. Sigh. There are SO MANY DIFFERENT VERSIONS of the Mullard tubes that don't look or sound anything like the other versions that I just scratch my head.

19. audio

audio New Member

I can't imagine why Telefunkens sounded bright in this phono pre. My previous experience has been the same as yours. Perhaps I'll try another pair tonight.

20. boead

boead New Member

So True, Mullards from the very late 60’s to the 80’s aren’t the Mullards that made them famous. The best sounding Mullard 12AX7’s, 12AU7’s and EL84’s I’ve ever heard were from the mid to early 50’s from the Blackburn plant.

BTW: I find Telefunkens to be VERY neutral and sort of dull too. Sometimes that’s a good thing but seldom for my taste.
    My favorite tubes have been USA made Amprex (Long Island, NY) and Sylvania’s.

21. boead

boead New Member

Maybe they weren’t Telefunkens. A tube Guru I know says Tele’s are commonly bootlegged Chinese crap. And I find Chinese tubes are usually bright and edgy.

22. audio

audio New Member

Rest assured that I know how to spot a genuine Telefunken when I see one.

23. Balanced life

Balanced life New Member

Don't be so certain. The diamond mark is not a conclusive indicator as it has been bootlegged by Chinese scammers. The print is likewise not conclusive as real tele printing is very fragile and hence easy to copy and make to look aged.

And to add insult to injury many real Teles were sourced in East Germany during the last years and are inferior sounding.

The only way to know for sure is to be very certain of the sources.

24. Balanced life

Balanced life New Member

That one is easy. Look for a 1950's CBS-Hytron or Raytheon 5814A - a killer tube and not terribly expensive.

25. Steve Hoffman

Can you post a friggin' link to these tubes for sale?

Never saw either one in my life and I have a giant tube stash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.