Best sounding wire recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Discuss!

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

ummm..... ok...

3. Grant

You think?

4. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

umm... do I? you tell me...

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Grant,

Are you talking about recordings on magnetic wire? I have seen some (I have one in storage, somewhere) but have never heard one.

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Well, if you wanna learn about said beast click on this link to my pal Art Shifrin's site http://www.shifrin.net/ Art remasters/preserves/restores all sorts of odd material for a living - if you have questions about recording formats, email Art and ask away - he's delighted to share historical info (and he's a heck of a toy train nut, too)!!!

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've heard several Grant. They sound amazingly good. The machine was noisy, but the fidelity of the format was quite nice. GRANDPA INTERVIEWS THE KIDS was probably my favorite. I can't remember the name of the fella who mastered them, but he avoided any nasty eq and the dynamic range was left alone for once. Stationary Fidelity Sound Lab tried to do a limited edition run of gold wire recordings, but the stuff ain't magnetic, and they fell into immediate obscurity. :)

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's some nice wire recordings on Sony's Century of Classical Music.

9. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

And I thought this thread would be about the best albums by a certain UK act...

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I have one wire recording. I don't know how good it sounds because the player needs new tubes - or something - and doesn't get very loud. (I know it doesn't sound nearly as good as that Arthur GOdfrey thing, though.) But I think it's cool. (I always liked the contraption they had on Hogan's Heroes too!)

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've heard wire recordings on the radio, probably NPR stories. Historic stuff, like some remote WWII reporting. Didn't the BBC use them rather regularly during WWII?
    Dan C

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

On the Stereophile Test CD (the one with the light orange/yellow cover) the first piece of music on there is J. Gordon Holt's wire recording of either his high school or junior high school marching band. Silly, but the built in compression is perfect for recording a brass band.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Steve, have you ever dealt with any wire recordings? Just curious.

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hey Jamie, click on the link I posted above - Art Shifrin has made a lot of wire transfers - Art'll clue you in to the art of wire recording technology and playback...

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've listened to some radio broadcast airchecks from the 1940's done on Wire, but I've not worked with them in a professional restorative capacity...

16. Grant

Hmmmm, what started out as a joke thread has turned out pretty useful...

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I actually have done work with wire recordings in a professional restorative capacity. And it really was Grandpa interviewing the kids. And they really did sound pretty good, thought the player was noisy. Beyond that point, my post tried to play up the joke angle. I notice humor can get lost on message boards like this. One person on a Pink Floyd bulletin board found any humor in my theory that Tom Petty and Pink Floyd were in fact, the same people. All the other responses were fairly serious posts about holes in my theory. Hmmmm.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Then again, I may not be very funny. :(

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

You wanna diss the discuss...:laugh: ;)

20. :agree: "154" is my favourite LP along with "Pink Flag" and Chairs Missing". Favourite songs include "Map Ref. 41 Degrees North 93 Degrees West " and the album version of "Eardrum Buzz".

Attached Files:

21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hey Grant - what brought about this thread? Did you stumble upon an old Brush wire recorder or something???

22. Grant

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmm, da link you plinked in there doesn't lead anywhere - click on the link I provided and talk to da man, Art Shifrin about working with those beasts...

24. Grant

Uh, Mike. if you could have logged on yesterday morning/afterniin, you would have seen a couple of us getting silly with these "best sound" threads...

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ahhh, goofiness, huh? I never indulge in that meself... Well, my buddy Art is serious as a heart attack when it comes to playing back/restoring odd/weird/obsolete formats - he even has a Rabco straight tracking tonearm modified to play back cylinder recordings!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.