Best Speakers for hearing Linda Ronstadt

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by heartbreaker, May 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Cornwalls any version, Laid back solid state amp perhaps a Marantz and 100 WPC.

heartbreaker likes this.
  2. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

HB,

Forgot to mention...I had the Sierra-1 Nrt's for 10 years, sounded wonderful but in my small dedicated near-field setup, the midrange was projected too far forward into the room as vocals were almost in-your-face! Sold those when I got the Ascend Sierra-2EX in March! Bet Linda R. would rock-out for You with the NrT Upgrades!!! :pineapple:

If interested, NrT tweeter addition is found in the prior provided link (above in quote)! ;)

Ted

heartbreaker likes this.
  3. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Magnapans .7s are more of a Emma Lou Harris speaker.

Simoon and heartbreaker like this.
  4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I've always associated JBL L100 Century's with Linda Ronstadt. Maybe since they were on top when she was coming onto the scene.

bluemooze and heartbreaker like this.
  5. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Bose 901's and a Pioneer SX-1250!

timind and heartbreaker like this.
  6. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Listening to the DCC album right now. Awesome.

7. heartbreaker

heartbreaker Prisoner in Disguise Thread Starter

I have this. I'm now trying out vinyl ("which needle, cartridge, pre-amp best for Linda?" :D )
    Canciones Di Mi Padre next.

timind and Rickchick like this.
  8. Any rusty old nail will do :p

Tim 2, asj_999 and bever70 like this.
  9. heartbreaker

I have bought a pair, accepted an offer. I'll post how Linda sounds over them. The money I've spent on that woman this year! :oops:

bluemooze and bhazen like this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hope they work out! :)

heartbreaker likes this.
  11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

This has to be one of the silliest threads I have ever seen on the Hardware forum. Linda has one of the most captivating and almost hypnotic voices I have ever heard. My wife and I have been fans since the early 70's. I can guarantee you that the better the your system is the better Linda will sound. Having listened to her on what I would describe as a mid-range system all the way up to what I think approaches hi-end I know this to be true. What I find so strange is that last week we were listening to the MFSL pressing of HLAW on my current system shown below.

[​IMG]

Normally Linda sounds absolutely wonderful on the Magico S7 speakers, but both my wife and I thought she was off a bit. So I did some checking and found that my turntable support system was out of adjustment. It wasn't level and uni-pivot tonearms like I use are very sensitive to not being level. I tweak it back to perfectly level and the next day we played HLAW again and Linda was back in all her usual greatness. So in answer to your question "what speakers will Linda sound good on?" , she will sound good on a large number of speakers, however, those speakers have to have good gear driving them and that good gear has to be properly setup.

I assume that since Linda has clearly captivated you that you have watched her documentary:

Watch Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice | Prime Video ,

and read her biography.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Dream...t=&hvlocphy=9004226&hvtargid=pla-564078245474

12. heartbreaker

No it is not a "silly thread". Read what I'm looking for again.

Glad you like your HLAW MSFL LP. I play mine on a Pro-Ject turntable, can you recommend a good pre-amp?

The one MSFL CD I don't have is HLAW, as my AF is so good. I found DCN & PID MSFL CDs disappointing using my Wharfedales, but HDTW & SD are OK, just.

Have you tried any of the 45rpm albums?

13. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I see you brought something already but if they don't work out I think Ascend Sierra 2 speakers would absolutely shine for female vocals like Linda's and I bet you can find a pair used eventually as they do come up every once in a while.

heartbreaker likes this.
  14. crn3371

crn3371 Forum Resident

A thread dedicated to picking equipment for 1 particular female artist is the definition of silly.

all24bits likes this.
  15. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I would think the Wharfdale's would do her justice. I like my Klipsch Cornwalls too... I would have Klipschorns if I could get away with it.

heartbreaker likes this.
  16. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Sierra-2EX on Sale! Sierra-2EX Shines on Any well recorded female vocals!!! :righton:

Ted

heartbreaker likes this.
  17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I have some MFSL 45 rpm albums, they all sound very good to excellent. I also have HLAW on MFSL SACD and it sound wonderful as well.

Recommending good a preamp is the same as recommending any other piece of gear, I need to know more. What is your budget for a preamp? Tube preamps in general are good for female voices. Are you open to have a tube preamp?

heartbreaker likes this.
  18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I do not believe a speaker would support a specific singer. Speakers do perform better at times on different types of music such as classical, jazz or rock & roll.

heartbreaker likes this.
  19. heartbreaker

Sure tubes are fine. Are those the ones with valves?

20. heartbreaker

Its intimate hearing I want, mid range good for voices, especially female as they are drowned out more easily. Not exclusively Linda, but hearing her as if "live" is why I'm looking...

21. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I understood you to mean female vocals and there are definitely speakers that are superior to female vocals.

Basically, you are looking for speakers that will be cohesive without that sibilant lisp right in the female vocals band. You want a speaker that doesn't hide the singer in the mix where you get cymbals crashing your brains and not being able to make out the singer.

The last speaker I reviewed was the Audio Note K/Spe that I also bought for my second room reference system. I am fairly biased to Audio Note as I also owned the K/Spe back in 2003. I have also owned the AN J, two pairs of AN Es, and the AX Two. And hey Steve Hoffman has mastered Linda Rondstadt albums and has two pairs of AN E speakers. Since you're in the UK - where the company is located - make a trip.

The last speaker I reviewed and listening to them now as I write this is the Rogers LS 5/9 and is a superb vocal speaker. It's a little more upfront than the AN K/SPe so you may like it. Both have some of the best cohesiveness I have heard from two-way speakers.

Alternatively, there is the single driver which has no crossover so as seamless as it gets - the drawback is dynamics, bass, and treble extension. Lastly, electrostatic. Ribbon panels always sound like ribbons and can't get out of their own way - but electrostatics are holographic and excellent on female vocals but will cost you in terms of $$ and size in that they take up a lot of room.

The Nice thing about the AN K and the Rogers LS 5/9 is that both speakers were happy with my 8-watt SET amps so they allow for the ability to consider SET amplifiers down the road - they keep options open. A lot of o speakers require bags of power.

22. heartbreaker

bluemooze likes this.
  23. heartbreaker

Not sure about sylibant lisps, but breathing makes a performer sound human IMO.

But any kind of cranked-up percussion, supporting band etc does drown out female vocalists, especially. Linda's earlier recording mastering/mixing are an example. Those earlier recordings are not great & some are better listened to in mono to hear her singing more distinctly.

One reason I like the Japanese mini-LPs remasters CDs is that Linda's volume is turned up to make her singing, front & centre the main sound. Japanese female singers are usually softer, so Linda may have been treated as such, to boost.

On all her tracks, on all releases, Linda is best on her ballads with select instruments and gentler melodies, such as ballads. Big Sound, full band, full volume, do drown her out, no EQ can change much, sadly.

24. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

It's easy to make fun, but I love the title of this thread and that the OP knows exactly what dragon to chase.

heartbreaker, bever70 and BluTorch like this.
  25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Tubes are Valves. US folk refer to them as tubes, UK folks refer to them as valves. Same thing.

heartbreaker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.