Best tracks to test soundstage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LakeMountain, Apr 2, 2021.

1. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Probably not a popular opinion but I much prefer the original - the Revisited recordings sounds a touch contrived to me while the original has a certain rawness of execution that appeals.

Randoms, trd, Gi54 and 1 other person like this.
  2. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine. I just critically listened to that track and it sounded like I had an extra pair of speakers 3' to the outside of speakers. What an amazing track.

3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My favorite PF track! Sums up our life pretty well, too :D.

4. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

You beat me to it! I have the vinyl, Vol 1-4, Summertime is just killer on there. These recordings are the epitome of West Coast Jazz

djost and Gi54 like this.
  5. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

The Doors S/T. 1st issue, Monarch pressing is a stunner. You just want to reach out and touch Jim.

6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Hey! Nothing wrong with having a personal preference!

Prompted by your post, I re-watched the DVD late last night and loved it even more. Margo and Natalie singing together brought chills.

Jeff

trd and MGW like this.
  7. hman

hman Forum Resident

There are so many great ones, but Steven Wilson's remix of "The Yes Album" is amazing. The record sounds more like a live performance than a studio album. Everything is in the right space.

8. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

That's the one I was going to suggest but you beat me to it. A great recording and can be bought dirt cheap.

NorthNY Mark and trd like this.
  9. alpentalic

alpentalic Well-Known Member

10. mds

mds Forum Resident

[​IMG]

One of the most three dimensional recordings I have heard. Excellent music also, great playing, dynamic, and nice selection of songs.

Gi54 likes this.
  11. mds

mds Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Track 1 - My Heart Belongs to Daddy. The cymbal in the deep far left corner is magnificent sounding. The sound stage is well developed and solid as a rock.

AndyCC72 and Gi54 like this.
  12. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Have and thoroughly enjoy this album. Makes my listening space seem exponentially larger.

13. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

@chervokas I like your style man, keep 'em comin!

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Body & Soul was actually either one of the three first, or earliest, CD's I ever purchased, in 1984, back when I was intending to limit my CD purchases to only those LP's I already owned, that would have significant demo-disc value.

15. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Lol, Johnny Frigo ?! Luckily he was not born over here, Frigo is slang for fridge in dutch :D.

Gi54, mds and Dan Steely like this.
  17. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

If you feel like your two way stereo system sounds like you are in a home theater set up, you have it dialed in. I think you can gauge height, width and 180+ degree-ness with this one (I can hear them falling on my head and even behind my ear) :)

Actually, the entire EP is good for testing sound stage, I think.

Spotify link: Bubbles

18. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

There are of course all sorts of sound stages to be captured and recreated. Sir Adrian Boult and the London Phil recording of RVW's Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis is in the classical vein but night and day different from Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony's take on Mahler's fourth symphony. Small ensembles differ, too. Diana Krall's piano and voice centric Live in Paris is unlike Miles Davis' instrumental interplay in Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain or Big Brother's Cheap Thrills or Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing at Baxter's. So there are a few fun and relatively mainstream and easy to find samples to play with.

Panama Hotel and NorthNY Mark like this.
  19. mds

mds Forum Resident

Doesn't sound like a frigo though and no built in ice maker.

VinylCountdown and bever70 like this.
  20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Wow--just from my laptop, with no external speakers, I'm getting a sense of complete immersion! I didn't realize this was possible!

neubian likes this.
  21. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Wow - that is superb on Qubuz! Ping pong balls within reach and also bouncing 3 ft to far side of speakers :goodie::cool:

VinylCountdown and neubian like this.
  22. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

That cymbal sure jumps out of the speaker! Great track!

23. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I've been rediscovering stereo soundstage after 15 years of desk listening. I've found Pink Floyd's Animals and The Wall really jump beyond the boundary of the speakers.

George P and VinylCountdown like this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Dead Can Dance - Yulunga (Spirit Dance) from the Into The Labyrinth SACD is absolutely incredible.

25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This is a go to for acoustic music if I want to feel like I’m sitting in the producers console.