Best TT, 3 options please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home... Thread Starter

Budget $1,500 including cartridge & cable.
    New or used is ok.
    I currently have a ProJect T1 w/Ortofon OM10. Please give an estimate of how much of an improvement your suggestion is over my current rig.

1 fully manual

2 auto lift/stop at end

3 fully auto, push a button and walk away, returns arm when finished.
    re: Thorens TD 103

thanks

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I know nothing about what is currently "hot" out there for Audiophiles on a budget, but I'm sure some people here can help...

Ingenieur and ayrehead like this.
  3. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

For used, fully manual, check out my comments here.

It's a 1 0wner VPI HW-19 Mk3 with a Dynavector 20x2L cartridge. It languished on the Seattle craigslist for over a month. The seller started it out at $1500, dropped his price to $1200 and then $950. At that point, I offered him $800, which he accepted. Heck of a deal on a great sounding turntable and cartridge. Even at $1500, it would be tough to beat (the cartridge alone sells for $1100 new).

How much better is sounds than your current table/cartridge depends on the rest of your system - especially your phono stage. The Dynavector 20x2L is a LOMC cartridge that needs a appropriate phono stage for basic functionality and a pretty good one to get the most out of the cartridge.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Ingenieur likes this.
  4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Your #3 option: I've been using a restored one of these for 4 or 5 years now and it's a fun TT,maybe not the best but in the $500-700 range with a nice cart....:edthumbs:

From Vinyl Engine:

JVC QL-Y5F Reviews

JVC QL-Y5F
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] by Qmvp20

Fantastic deck. Super quiet and precise, own one for over 10 years and it is my preferred table. Used more than Technics 1200 and Thorens 160.
    With Nagaoka 200 this thing just sings.

[​IMG] by ckarnes

Dubbed The Flagship of JVC's Fine Line of Turntables when it was released in 1980, the QL-Y5F is simply stunning to look at and even better mechanically! Try finding a current model turntable this good 40 years later and you will be hard pressed! Sony was first to the Servo tonearm game, and they make magnificent units, but expect to pay several times more than what similar JVC models cost for equivalent features and performance. Denon models are also commanding a price premium, and haven't proven to be as reliable as the JVCs. If you can find, a good QL-Y3F, QL-Y5F, QL-Y55F, QL-Y66F or QL-Y77F, at a reasonable price, buy it! All of the performance of a high end manual with the convenience of a full automatic.

[​IMG] by epk

I bought this turntable when it first came out, around 1980-81. It's had a lot of use since then, but is still going strong and still looks great. Originally used with a very nice Denon MC cartridge, then upgraded to a Signet TK10ML, and the combination sounded stunningly good. The only thing I don't like is the way the cover comes off the base. Highly recommended. If you come across one, don't hesitate.

[​IMG] by oldtechie

JVC is a very underestimated turntable. i have this model the JVC QL-Y5F AND NOW HAVE IT LOADED WITH A DENON DL 103R and there are times when i am dumbstruck at the soundstage and performance of this little beauty and this DENON is one of many carts that have me so excited...seems whatever you load the table with,every last bit of performance is wrung out of the combinations or carts and the JVC QL-Y5F.THE CHEAP PRICES ASKED FOR JVC's is a boon for those looking for a high end table CHEAP.

Ingenieur likes this.
  5. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I can vouch for this as well. I literally today just sold my VictorQL-Y44F with 2M Blue. Spun really nice and was fully automatic. Only negative is that it was from Japan and required a step up transformer.

6. Ingenieur

Thanks
    Looks like a nice set-up. JVC has a range of automatic tables, used models up the $1200 range, QL Y66F.
    I need to research this.
    Vintage JVC QL-Y66F Rosewood Quartz Lock Direct Drive Turntable + Audio Technica AT-155LC/U Cartridge & Stylus ~LOOK~ | OldSchoolAudio72 | Reverb

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

8. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Wow, NIB is awesome, but to me that ask is pretty high. Can't hurt to make a lower offer, worst thing to happen is he says no.

Ingenieur likes this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Both of those look nice!
    The pricey NIB is an awesome set, so see if you can get a better deal.
    FWIW that AT 155lc on the used one can accept a nice VM40ML or SH tip and probably sound very nice indeed, if there just happens to be low mileage on the 155lc tip then it will sound spectacular as is.
    I got the next model down (140lc) on a used Dual tt years ago and it's a great sounding cart. with a boron cantilever and LC diamond.

Ingenieur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.