Best turntable $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thetman, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetman

thetman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not saying I will, but thinking about maybe, maybe dipping feet into vinyl. It still seem all very confusing and work intensive ( the gear, cleaning) also trying to find the best sounding vinyl ( some are transferred from digital files???).
    So if you had no more than $500 what would be your choice. I would be hooking up to Yamaha A-S801-which from what I have read in a few places doesn't have a great phon0 amp?? so now I would need an external phono amp to hook into the yamaha? The kind of rabbit hole I was afraid of.
    But still very curious on how it would sound. Thanks

2. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Rega Planar 1 at $475 is possibly the best there is below $500. Plenty of glowing reviews. I almost pull the trigger 4 mo ago until I found a more expensive table as a demo unit at a great price.

Through fine tuning my system, vinyl sounds better than cds.

Hifi Kenny and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

First, I love reading statements like I quoted --- in these threads you are going to get a stream off TT recommendations, but there is SO much more to getting into vinyl than just buying at TT. It's an investment of time / learning curve --- and then there are other expenses like cartridges, cables, preamps, etc...

So good on you for looking it as not just a TT purchase. Many forget what they went through when they started.

That being said -- without getting into the phono preamp as a first step -- are you set on buying a new TT or is used OK too? Belt drive or direct drive, or do you know? Are you willing to have it shipped or do you prefer to shop locally?

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I paid $10 for my Pioneer PL-516.

5. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Listen to the latest Darko Audio podcast on vinyl. If you’re still wanting to dip your foot in, the two tables under $500 that I recommend are:
    New: U-turn Audio Orbit Special
    Used: Technics SL-1200 mkII

With both you’re virtually assured of getting something that will make music.

Don’t upgrade your phono pre yet.

Go buy some records that are good examples of the format—sh.tv is the best resource for that. You should listen to an album that was mastered and pressed with care, not simply pressed to vinyl to check a box.

If you’re enjoying that, you’re golden. If not, Craigslist it all and go back to digital, without worrying that you’ve missed out on something.

SandAndGlass and stanley00 like this.
  6. thetman

I would like to buy a new TT. Probably will order- not much in my area for AV equipment ( best buy). Yes its a bit overwhelming reading all that is involved with vinyl, which is why I avoided it for so long. Belt, direct? have no idea really. more to learn and read I guess. Slowly going through all the threads here and other sites to learn more. but figured this would be a great starting point for advice.

7. thetman

thanks for the info. funny I was just looking at the u-turn site. They are also made in my state of Massachustes. Seems they get pretty good reviews. TT's look nice and simple for someone like myself starting out.

JMAC likes this.
  8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The Beatles-themed Pro-Ject Essential III currently in the classifieds would be about like that.

vinylfilmaholic likes this.
  9. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I ventured into vinyl briefly last summer with a Rega Planar One. If all you have to spend is $500, save your money.

10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If you are in Mass. my advice would be to go used. You are easily close enough to several population centers where you can find a great used table for less than $200-250.

And, most importantly, don't overthink the vinyl curve. It is not nearly as intimidating or intense as people would make it seem.
    Buy a well cared for used deck.
    Get a Stylus Force Gauge and a simple protractor so you can learn/check setup.
    Buy some affordable records and a brush or two and get started.

You will know right away if you enjoy it.

Fender Relic, LinnsondekLP and timind like this.
  11. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

If all you have is $500 for the turntable, phono preamp, cartridge(s), cables, tools and cleaning accessories --- and the LP's :) I agree wholeheartedly (which I think what you point is).

But if you have $500 for the TT, and $500 more for the preamp and a cartridge / cables, then go minimum on setup tools and cleaning until you learn... (say $100) then I'd say OK.... you have a good STARTING point!

But you make a good point overall - don't underestimate the vinyl investment --- both $$$ and time --- many make recommendations and forget the level of investment they made when they started, and many people dive in and then get discouraged......... but it seems like you (the OP) understand it takes a little bit of up front learning and it's not for everyone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    The Pinhead and Stanton56 like this.
  13. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

You nailed it.

14. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

The good thing about getting into vinyl is that, if you believe vinyl will sound better than digital, it will, no matter how bad your equipment is, and no matter how poorly of a job you do setting it up. I'm not being sarcastic, seen it many times.

There are many people who believe that their cheapo Crosley sounds better than digital, so there is no reason you wouldn't necessarily be happy with $500 worth of table, cartridge and pre amp.

15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I didn't forget. I pieced together a cheap Technics turntable with a generic radio shack phono stage that I pumped into a boom box. I was 13. I figured something out. It worked fine and it sounded better than my dad's console BSR. For $500, there are so many options.

Music Direct has an open box Pro-Ject Debut III for $225. I would probably look at Pro-Ject - Phono Box S for $139. I would stick with the stock cartridge to start and buy some accessories. That would leave me $136. Since it's an open box, have them double check the alignment so I wouldn't have to buy tools up front. So buy an Allsop Orbitrac III from Amazon for $40. A stylus brush for $10. I still have $86. Still need and interconnect, $40 for a short AudioQuest Evergreen. I still have money for a pretty good record or maybe it gets eaten up in taxes. Whatever. I'm good to go.

No Static, Old Rusty, SJP and 2 others like this.
  16. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon - it’s a great TT, has the Ortofon 2M Red, and is $400.

17. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Used Technics SL1200Mk2 (or later).

Buy it locally, so you can inspect it in-person prior to purchase to be certain it's in good condition. :thumbsup:

Will sonically be better than any TT you could buy new for $500. If you want to spend under $300, then I'd go U-Turn.

18. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Different candidates have differing appeals (to me).

Planar 1- The best arm of the sub $500 crowd? The $20 cartridge isn't a big selling point. Don't know what to think about the platter- seems cheapo, but I'm not qualified to make the call.

Uturn Orbit- The customer service champ, from most accounts. I do struggle with the fit'n finish aspect. I know it works well, but it does feel cheap to handle. The belt, platter, dust cover... it may run like a Honda, but it feels like a Yugo.

Fluance Reference- Excellent fit'n finish. The heaviest in the class. The best W&F specs, if accurate. Detachable head shell with curved arm. The upgrade price increase from the RT82 to RT85- the acrylic platter and 2M Blue- seem dirt cheap. The exterior belt looks more substantial and less fiddly than the Orbit's. There just isn't much out there for reviews and experience. Poster @Dinglehead seemed to be enjoying his RT85 last month.

Audio Advisor has some nice demo deals at the moment:

Planar 1- $400 (white) and $420 (black)
    Pro-Ject RPM 1 Carbon- $380
    Music Hall MMF-2.3- $400

Stanton56 likes this.
  19. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Totally agree. I cannot see why people act like it's some sort of rocket science. There's plenty of good new TT's under $500 with a pre installed cartridge. The only thing you would need to do is balance the tonearm (probably loads of tutorials of that online and it's not exactly difficult anyway), plug it in and you're away.

SpeedMorris and Kevin j like this.
  20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Rega’s are pretty much plug and play. The cartridge in the RP1 is basic. To be honest if you are going to be serious about vinyl, I would look for an ex demo, open box, or lightly used RP3/Elys even if it means waiting until your budget catches up a bit. Otherwise a Project or an AT at your price point, as alternatives to the RP1. But the RP2 is a step up from the 1, and the 3 a step up from the 2. The new Technics lower price decks coming soon are likely to be very good value too ($700 ?).

21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I would not go lower than an RP3 for Rega. Regardless of brand, with $500 buying used is the best route.

HiFi Guy and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  22. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Rega’s are pretty much plug and play !!!
    fit a decent cartridge , add a external PSU to get it to run at the correct speed , fit decent mat
    all standard on project tables & others

Hifi Kenny likes this.
  23. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I would get an old, used, Pioneer PL-12 or a Sony PS-X5 in good working condition, an Audio-Technica AT95E cartridge, and try. That could cost you as little as 80$.
    Those old turntables, which sold very well, are easy to find for reasonable prices and they were very durable and perform very well.

LitHum05 likes this.
  24. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If you go with Orbit, get the acrylic platter:

[​IMG]

Buy a good record brush (Hunt EDA or Audioquest) with some of what's left of your $500.

djost and Andy Saunders like this.
  25. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Keep an eye on Vinyl Nirvana’s website. He used to offer starter packages around that price, maybe he still does at times. His current starter package is $675 but you could call Dave or email to inquire about other options. I’d bet he has something else to offer.

You’ll get a much better level of customer service than at any online store. That could be valuable to someone who’s new to vinyl.

djost, SandAndGlass and nosliw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.