Best turntable $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thetman, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Mikey Fremer also gave it a nice review, with speed measurements:

Crosley Grows A Pair (Of Serious Turntables)

I think this was the first review done on it:

Crosley Moves Up, The C10 Turntable (Part 1 of 2)

It wasn't terribly interesting at the original msrp, but at $240 there just isn't a lot of risk, especially if one has a 30-day return option. Toss on a deerhide mat from the LA ebay guy and listen to the included cart for a while, mulling over whether there's a certain way you might like to tailor the sound (fuller, richer or more higher frequency detail) via a possible cart change.

2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Honestly, $350 to around $650 is about the worst price range to buy a TT new in. I even refer it to the 'Dangerous and Sad No Man's Land of TTs'™. :(

TTs in that range tend to not be significantly better sounding than the entry-level sub-$300 'tables, so you're much better off either saving up to buy something in the $700+ range new (like say a Pioneer PLX-1000), or getting something good used (like a Technics SL1200Mk2) for the $500 or so you would've kinda semi-wasted on a new 'table in that price range.

It's not fair, it's not cool, but it does seem to be how it works. Good luck. :thumbsup:

The Dragon, patient_ot, JMAC and 3 others like this.
  3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Great advice. Definitely go used in this range.

patient_ot, nosliw and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  4. thetman

thetman Forum Resident Thread Starter

yeah I was looking at natural sound as one of the stores- looks like a pricey store- but seems that area or closer to boston is the hot spot for hi-fi stores. miss the days of Tweeter being around. what store in North Attleboro are you referring too?
    Go Pats!!!

5. thetman

yes, it seems from doing a lot of research that to get the true benefit and appreciation of vinyl then I would need to up the budget. Honestly I don't have a problem with that, but my head is still buzzing from all the different brands to choose from. reading review after review- still nothing is jumping out at me.

6. Cyclone Ranger

Here is maybe a go0d encapsulation/listing of the 'usual suspects' in the next range up from entry-level:

[Poll] Best $1000–Class Turntable(s)? (pick up to three)

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I forget the name of the store, but became aware of them a while ago when looking for dealers for Golden Ear Technology speakers, which I had once considered. They also have/had a location on Comm Ave near BU.

I was a Tweeter fan as well. NS and any other store upmarket from BB is going to be pricey, but the key is to find out what they have at entry level. To borrow from the car buying world, the lease expensive Infiniti might not cost much more than the most expensive Nissan.

8. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Vinyl is one of those things that many of us fans will end up making sound a lot more complex than it really is. I had a hi-fi in junior high (I think it's middleschool now). I did just fine.

If you already have a receiver, it probably has a phono input. It must be labelled "phono", because phono inputs are different than all others even though they use the same RCA connector. If yours has a phono input, get whatever turntable floats your boat. But I'd spend at least $300 if it's new.

If you don't have a phono input, there are two options:

Option one: buy a phono pre-amp (under $30) and buy any turntable you want. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pp999-P...rds=phono+pre-amp&qid=1550612244&s=aht&sr=1-8
    Option two: Buy a turntable with a built in Pre-amp.

At this point you are now ready to listen to records.

The next, equally easy part is record handling. That is also really simple if you follow these simple guidelines:
    1. Don't touch the record surface.
    2. Clean your records before playing them. You can use a microfiber cloth or get one of those record brushes record cleaning brush - Google Search

One side issue is cleaning your stylus (needle). if it gets all furry, it means it's time to clean it. this stuff will do it: https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Stylus-Cleaning-Brush-Kit/dp/B076CXM8VM
    And if it gets furry after only a few records, they need to be cleaned better.

That's it for now. Later we can get into how to bring old, used records from Goodwill or garage sales back from the dead. It's easy too, but one thing at a time.

9. thetman

thanks for the links. yes lots to this vinyl hobby. picking out the stylus-cartridge. cleaning set up & supples etc. Watched some videos today about how to change the cartridge. wow its a whole damn process for sure! balancing tonearm, height, weight etc. Commitment to the format is an understatement.

As for looking at used & bargain bins I think I am more than set if I decide. I was cracking open some more cases I acquired. damn- about 90% of the albums are still in the shrink wrap and look excellent. All kinds of stuff- steely dan, pink floyd, fleetwood mac, queen, zeppelin, beatles, tears for fears on & on. Even some lesser bands like the plasmatics. too many to list.
    One turntable that did catch my eye was the Technics SL-1200GR. I know its triple from what I originally quoted. But for a newbie it I like the easier way I can change the cartridge head and the some of the automatic functions. Maybe find something similar to that setup in another turntable.

10. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I don't quite understand why Michael Trei- known as one of the top turntable guys around, at least as a setup guy- thought two lowly cheapo tables sounded better than his own SL-1200.

His conclusions would seem to be impossible. Maybe he's hard of hearing, or maybe he accepted some Benjamins from the Roys (Hall and Gandy).(?)

11. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I have three turntables. The newest one I have is an Audio Technica AT LP 120. It's the one plugged into my computer (USB) and the one that gets the most use. I love it. It costs around $300, uses a rock steady high torque DD motor and comes with a highly respected AT 95e cartridge. I have several fairly high quality cartridges and though they sound better, I love the sound of this one. I use it constantly. And the thing is practically plug and play. Here is a picture I took while posting here last weekend:

[​IMG]

One of its other key features is the removable headshell, which I consider a must. It makes cartridge setup and replacement ridiculously easy, though since the cartridge comes pre-mounted, it's not something you would have to worry about for years, unless you got the audiophile bug. ;)

thetman and Stanton56 like this.
  12. Cyclone Ranger

It's been decades since I've worried about what reviewers think.

Too many conflicts of interest, exaggeration, sheer randomness, and even bad taste.

Plus, their ears are not my ears. What if my taste is the exact opposite of the reviewer's? :sigh:

HiFi Guy likes this.
  13. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Anyone here actually own the C20? They're currently going for $400 on Amazon and look like a nicely built Project turntable with a decent Ortofon cartridge. I read what few reviews there are on the C20 and they all seem pretty positive. Maybe the Crosley branding is scaring people off. Even though it's pretty sutle on top of the zebrano plinth.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the branding scares people off. This is basically a Debut with a nicer looking plinth. And a good cartridge. A competent turntable, as good as you can get for the money.

SandAndGlass and vinylbeat like this.
  15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Used all the way in the $500 and under. I've purchased like new PL-707, PS-2251-LA for under $500. No comparison

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I realize that this thread is over a year old, but I was surprised at how many suggested a Technics SL-1200 for someone looking to spend $500 0r less. Prices seem to have skyrocketed.

When I recently did a search for an SL-1200 on Boston CL, people were offering the usual DJ-abused examples, usually with scuffed chassis and missing mats, headshells and/0r dustcovers, for $400-$600. That is consistent with what I saw on eBay.

I doubt that one could find a decent example for under $800 nowadays, if you can find one at all.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.