Best version lp of "Are You Experienced "

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Good point, keep forgetting about this one. I dont think Ive ever heard of anyone who compared with the Sterling RJ cut either. Im guessing its not as good as Marinos though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  2. Leonthepro

A bit of a false equivalency though, since images are always on full display while music cant be heard in full at the same time. You can only audibly have access to the very instance of music that is playing for you, you cant hear the whole album in the moment like you can view a painting.

Even then, if the copies are good you should be able to tell the difference between an original and a reproduction even through photo copies.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  3. Leonthepro

I may have a tacky name, but at least I dont suggest to be beyond bias and auditory infallibility.

TongueDruid likes this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

MCA2 1168 is the digital sourced version that was around from late 90's onward (2LP + US tracks). My records show I purchased a copy in 2006. The Sterling Experience Hendrix everyone is referring to is the Marino AAA cut of the US version. The MCA version has a UK cover (but might have been available in both UK and US covers). MOV /Sony have an equivalent of the UK double LP (with additional US tracks) pressed in EU (digital I presume).

5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

My two copies of Are You Experienced :

1. 2010 in a numbered, gatefold sleeve.

2. 2014 on purple vinyl from Newbury Comics.

They both have the same matrix info. Is the difference in the pressing plant? Number 1 at RTI, Number 2 at QRP?

I hear no difference in the sound. Can someone point out specifics to listen for, assuming there are differences in the sound?

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Not sure if the first one was pressed at RTI or QRP. But my go to for that title is the purple Newbury Comics or an original Reprise tri color steamboat label. I thought I likes the purple Newbury better than the standard 2010, but it's been a while.

7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Here it's a tie with the first press Reprise stereo and the QP repress of the 2010 picked up at Wally World for $14 new. The Reprise has a lot of ass behind it and the 2010 has clarity.

Heard the mono Reprise some years ago. Meh. Only mono Hendrix I like is Axis simply because there's mix differences, but it sure as hell isn't superior. Anything Kramer is always better in stereo.

8. Leonthepro

According to few, you would be crazy to say this and have lost all your hearing.
    According to most reasonable people, this is to be expected.

Rockin' Robby, dasacco and marcb like this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yes, all from the same lacquer. QRP presses Hendrix in the USA (almost) exclusively since 2011. This detail is available in the free book from Jimpress that covers Experience Hendrix's audio output for 25 years, and counting. Anyone wanting the pdf just PM me.

While there is little if any difference by way of "sound", I'm assuming you reference musically here, there are other notable differences. This was the record/ pressing that convinced me that there can be and is huge differences between pressing plants and each plants practices and procedures.

While the differences are not huge within themselves they do amount to being noticable. In one instance i didn't need to A/B it literally jumps out at you. Other differences are more noticable when there is a direct A/B comparison.

I have both pressings, RTI and the Newbury QRP, I find the latter .ore involving, almost more immediate. Improved stereo imaging and noticable bigger presentation. This from near field listening with correctly placed Harbeth 30.1s.

jgrillo and dasacco like this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

When you A/B the 1st Reprise and the 2010, keeping in mind the different mastering, do you not feel the original 60s pressing appear somewhat duller, almost flat in comparison? That's the overall sound.

11. nicotinecaffeine

Had a late 70s Reprise that sounded as you described...just bleh. Sold it earlier last year.

12. Gordon Johnson

Do you no longer have the Reprise 1st press?

13. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Gordon please can you forward the link to your Hendrix vinyl site. I seem to have lost the bookmark. I just received a QRP pressing of Electric Ladyland
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland (2015, 180 Gram, Vinyl)
    I was comparing it to the US BG cut from 2018 50th box. I think I prefer the QRP. I recall you did a monster in depth review and I wanted to read your thoughts. thanks

14. Gordon Johnson

There is a link to the website on each of the posts here! But here you go anyway!
    JMHVINYL
    The 2015 [Marino] and the 50th [Grundman] are both QRP if you got them from the US.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Tuck1977 likes this.
  15. nicotinecaffeine

Still have it. That, the 2010 LP, Reprise cassette and CD (pre-RE1).

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  16. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I have the 2014 QRP repress of the 2010, a 1968 US reissue and a 1979 Winchester reissue. The'68 & '79 are definitely more laid back in the top end, but the 2014 is smokin' for sure and sounds more "hifi" if that makes sense. The'79 is no slouch... I used to have another late 70's Winchester with slightly different runout info- it sounded very flat. This copy is more engaging.

Jam757, Gordon Johnson and Leonthepro like this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

Thanks, really interested in how folk found those early Reprise 1st and 2nd pressings from 68.

Jam757 and rcsrich like this.
  18. I'm down to 4 copies of AYE at this point and 2 hold the most interest. I have a really fine CDN 1967(according to Discogs) 2nd press stereo but have never held a 1st press CDN-which I was told some years back had the same matrices. In any event, I find the 2014 QRP most enjoyable overall. Great dynamics. The '67 2nd press does have a bit of top end frenzy in it's favour but i'm always left thinking that was to get it to sound good on as many 4 inch speakers found in most table radios/car stereos as possible.

Buddybud and Rockin' Robby like this.
  19. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I have a question:
    What would be the best-sounding LP pressing with the UK tracklist?

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Mono or stereo? There aren’t many options really.

21. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Either option.

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’ve got the 1968 Reprise second press and sounds bloody fantastic to my ears. I also own the 2010 but probably never did a shootout.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Mono? Probably the French Barkley pressing. Needs to be the right one though. This has been covered ad nauseum if you do a search.

Stereo? I’m not sure to be honest. Maybe a 70s UK pressing (there’s the Backtrack & Polydor 2-fer). Maybe a vintage German Polydor pressing. Maybe the George Marino 2010/2014-ish EU 2LP? I think any analog cut is probably going to be from mostly copy tapes.

john lennonist and TheHutt like this.
  24. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Okay, thank ye!

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to the 2010 AYE again right now and this is one incredible and beautiful beast. Amazing that I paid $12.36 for a new record off of Amazon when I purchased it.