Best version lp of "Are You Experienced "

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It didn't even have genuine stereo versions of the tracks that were not on the US release, Red House and Remember. Both are fake stereo on the UK 70s and 80s pressings. I can't remember if there has ever been genuine stereo versions of these tracks.

2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Nah, the non-RE Reprise CD and Sony reissue LP's are both from the original masters and sound great. The original LP pressing sounds like it has some kind of filtering applied to it, summed bass frequencies for LP cutting, etc. That's why I am not a big fan of it. Original doesn't always mean better!

skisdlimit, hi_watt and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. WonkyWilly

Indeed there has. They were sent to the US along with the other AYE tracks and eventually used for "Smash Hits".

Aftermath and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've heard Can You See Me? in stereo. Is Red House the same version on the US Smash Hits as the UK Track AYE? There are two different recordings. I've never heard Remember in stereo. I'd like to. I love that track.

5. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

So, this could be considered a definitive version?
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

6. WonkyWilly

7. WonkyWilly

Yes, that's right. Red House is two different takes. Remember can be found in stereo on the regular "expanded" AYE? CD.

Aftermath and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought it was fake stereo on that, but I have the 90s Experience Hendrix version and haven't played it in years.

9. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

There is nothing like that Mono Polydor 45 of Stone Free. If you’ve only ever heard the crappy fake stereo version, or even worse, a foldup of the fake stereo, you haven’t heard it.

harmonica98, McLover, marcb and 2 others like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's the definitive Stone Free. After years of only hearing the fake stereo this 45 was a revelation!

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Was it copied from the US tapes?

12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

It's been very reasonably priced for years. I got it from Amazon last year for less than $15.00. I usually don't like paying high prices for vinyl, but this would have been a bargain at twice that much.

13. WonkyWilly

Yeah, but just the US AYE? tracks. They seem to have used mono/fake stereo for the UK-only tracks. Totally thrown together.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I know there are fake stereo tracks. I have a few copies of the UK stereo version, including the twofer with Axis.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Are you sure the UK stereo cuts are from copies of the US tape? Weren’t the stereo mixes mostly or entirely done at Olympic - which means they would have sent the original stereo mixdowns to the US and not kept them in the UK?

16. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I agree. French Barclay for mono and 2010 US for stereo is the way to go.

Jam757 likes this.
  17. WonkyWilly

That's what was done, yes. All of the original stereo masters were kept in Warners US vault.

For the mono LP, they got a (bad) copy of the UK tape, and that is what they have been using for reissues.

McLover and Aftermath like this.
  18. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the 2008 Back to Black 2LP Are you Experienced? with the 2010? The 2008 is also credited as being remastered by Eddie Kramer and George Marino and has Sterling RJ (Ray Janos?) etchings in the runouts.

I've always thought it sounded good, but now I'm wondering how it compares to the 2010. The extra tracks on the 2008 are nice to have.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Source for this info on the stereo mixdown masters and the mono tape?

20. WonkyWilly

Steve Hoffman (stereo) and tape box photos (mono).

Aftermath likes this.
  21. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Is there a picture of the the stereo tape box? And if not where does Steve make reference to seeing it.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What about the RSD reissue from a few years back?

23. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

The Legacy vinyl is the final word.....hey, that rhymed. Anyway, I’ve listened to previous reprise, German and U.K. pressings and they’re nothing compared to the Sony. IMO, the search is over, and at a great price.

hi_watt and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Having the original, I haven't heard any 45 reissues of this single, only on CDs and the Smash Hits vinyl.

25. WonkyWilly

It's almost as good as the original...but not quite.