Best version of Beatles "Let It Be?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Embracetheday, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I have a vinyl rip of the MFSL and it’s my go-to for Let it Be. I love it, particularly on Across the Universe.

Lewisboogie and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You don't see it often

3. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

ten bob ! massive discount well done !!

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  4. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

2009 remaster

Adam9 and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Well, I found it on one of those naughty-naughty sites you’re not supposed to talk about. Interestingly, when I picked up the recent pressing of 1967-1970, I was expecting to love the all-analogue Across the Universe that’s on it. I was strangely unmoved and did an A-B comparison with my MFSL rip. The winner was clear....

6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

“Let It Be Naked” is the only listenable version.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Should have kept their clothes on.;)

Dyland, Cronverc and chacha like this.
  8. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Yes, I used to get 7/6d per week for evening paper round 6 nights a week, so it saved me more than a weeks wages

9. muffmasterh

bloody hell, i used to get ten bob a week pocket money by then for doing sweet fa, every friday night tea was weekly divvy up time from my dads's pay packet, and Friday night was fish & chip night ( it used to be fish & chip and Ready steady go night but my pocket money was a lot less when that was still running lol ) !!

John Hatter likes this.
  10. shavedfish

shavedfish Forum Resident

Is the -2u is the same as -3u in terms of sound? I have a pressing with -2u on a-side and -3u on the b-side.
    Thanks for any information!

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

2u/3u is superb and knocks spots off later issues. However as one who owns a copy and a 2u/2u as well I can tell you that I reach for the latter each and every time. It’s simply wonderful as sound goes. I bought the former to get a red apple sleeve cheaply!

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

2009 stereo CD. My go-to :wave:

Adam9 and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. shavedfish

shavedfish Forum Resident

So would you say 2u is basically the same as 3u?
    I appreciate your replies and info - thanks!!

14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Is there any great difference between the 1973 and the 1976 versions of this German pressing of Let It Be? They both have the same matricies as far as I can tell.

15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

My purple label Capitol pressing from 1978 is simply the best sounding version I have heard.

[​IMG]

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Quite similar. And side 1 of a -2u/-3u is same as side 1 of a -2u/-2u.

Remember, vinyl record production is a mechanical process where no two records are EXACTLY the same. My guess is the natural variances between different -2u sides are not much different than the variances between -2u & -3u sides.

17. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

You're right about the bass on the German 062 pressing. I also own the 072 which is excellent as well. I need to upgrade my German 062 as it's a bit noisy, but the 072 is minty. I'm still partial to the UK -2U/-2U which I'm lucky to have a very clean copy of including the box and book. No poster unfortunately.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. muffmasterh

Don't beat yourself about the Apple poster, its a common fallacy that all UK box sets came with posters , they didn't and nor is it specific to the box set, the Apple poster ( more an advertising flyer than a poster anyway ) was a likely a totally separate thing sent ( probably by Apple rather than EMI although i suspect EMI would have contributed to the promotional cost) to some stores for inclusion with any Beatles or Apple album. It just so happens that the poster/flyer was issued around the same time as LIB was released so many naturally found their way into box sets. However you also find a lot inside one box EMI pressings of Sgt Pepper showing that that album was also still shifting units in 1970. It's nice to have the poster of course but its not something that came from the factory or specific to Let it Be.

19. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying this! So even some of the early Solo Beatles releases or misc. Apple artists LP's could have come with the promo poster I guess.

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...were talking 072 on Apple? This forum is reminding me of some pretty good pressings I own but have forgotten about and need to re-visit.

21. muffmasterh

absolutely, any Apple labelled album or 1 box emi parlophone labelled Beatles album from 1970 could have had them placed inside by the store, however in my experience they are most commonly found in the box set and in 1970 copies of Sgt Pepper, but most won't have had them. It's unlikely that all stores would have been sent the poster/flyer probably just the bigger ones and/or the chains.

As for solo's aside from any of the pre 70 solo albums from George and John sold during mid 1970 only McCartney and Sentimental journey would be the other likely candidates. The flyers would have been likely all used up in a few months.

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I still like the "Kum Back" version, warts and all.

seacliffe301 and forthlin like this.
  23. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I love this pressing too. The purple labels are underrated.

24. I just picked up this version from a local record store:

The Beatles - Let It Be

Discogs states it is a 1976 release.

Side 1 is the matrix: YEX 773-3U
    Side 2 is the matrix: YEX 774 4 and also including HTM (Henry T Moss)

Both the record and sleeve appeared to be in nice condition, so I decided to pick it up. Don't have any other copy on vinyl.

Will not be able to listen to it until the weekend.

25. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The original CD. But a few tracks are better on the 2009 remaster.