Best version of Queen's The Game?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I think the MFSL is muffled and has zero high end.

2. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

No big surprise. Audio is highly subjectice. 10 different people, 10 different answers. I assume MFSL monitors , even back in the day, would be more revealing than a consumer set up.

Scottb and Audioresearch like this.
  3. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Great, it would be pleasant if you fill in your gear profile when you make statements about high end.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The DVD-A was good.

Audioresearch likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have an Elektra pressing which sounds good. Don't know if it's a first pressing, I'll check it via Discogs.

6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I'll have to do that at some point but I was underwhelmed with the MFSL of 'The Game'

7. thomas_higginz

thomas_higginz Active Member

I only have the 1986 UK CD (CDP 7462132) AAD. It sounds very natural and clean. No loudness wars going on. I'm holding on to that one.

yesstiles likes this.
  8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I listened to my 32XD the other day on the main system. I was surprised how underwhelmed I was. I cranked the volume all the way up but there was just no punch on the darn thing. Too laid-back. I supposed it would sound best on headphones, but on loudspeakers I enjoy the MFSL cd more.

9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got this version on CD: EMI ‎– CP32-5318: Queen - The Game

I played both the first pressing of the UK vinyl (which has always sounded great) and that CD at the same time, volume adjusted so they're the same loudness (as the CD is quieter level), and switched between them..... and it's hard to tell the difference.

10. pauleyh

pauleyh Audiophile and Music Archivist Expert

The usa is the best press on elektra since the album was mostly recorded and cut in the USA and is a Allen Zentz Press. The best CD is The Barry Diament Target CD.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The whole The Game album was recorded in Munich, Germany. Think you mean The Works which was partly recorded in Los Angeles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.