Best versions of John Coltrane's Atlantic Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hypnotoad, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I agree, I also have both of these. I like the vinyl a bit more (number 1845 of the limited hand-numbered 3000 set run from 1995) - all-analog mastering. To my ears these sets sound nice and natural, but a little more detail comes forth compared with the original U.S. CDs. Can't go wrong either way though and the individual original CDs are so cheap, great deal. Just avoid later remasters!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I once had a disc I was reviewing for a magazine make a high-pitched whirring sound in the tray of my CD player at the time - it turned out there was run-off plastic around the edge. I've never heard of this before ,though.

3. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member Thread Starter

Interesting. Is there an important difference between the 1995 run and the later run of Heavyweight champion?

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Are the Heavyweight Champion CDs the same mastering as the first issue Atlantic CDs?

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Doubtful. 1st Heavyweight Champion LPs (USA) were done by Specialty. They don't sound like the CDs at ALL.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Heavyweight Champion CD-set was mastered by Gene Paul in 1995, while Stephen Innocenzi mastered at least some of the first CD issues.

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

"The Heavyweight Champion" had a couple of noticeable mastering mistakes when it first came out on CD. I always assumed they were on the LP version as well. They were supposed to fix them and reissue the set, but of course, that never happened, at least for the CD set.

The most obvious boo boo was that they missed the first few notes of "Countdown" (I think it was that track).

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The first run was limited to 3000 copies and hand numbered and is on 150 gram vinyl.

The second run was also limited to 3000 copies, 180 gram vinyl; on this second run, the first 1500 were numbered and sold by Rhino Handmade directly and the other 1500 were un-numbered and sent to various retailers.

I doubt there's much if any difference in sonics. The vinyl weight could change the sound but theoretically if VTA adjusted accordingly, not much. Also I think the same stampers were used for both runs so there could be a theoretical advantage to getting earlier pressings.

But again, I doubt in actual fact it makes a bit of difference other than to collectors! :)

9. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

99% sure I've seen it. Bad memory actually...saw it in a store for $20 probably mid '80s when a $20 purchase was more of a decision. Came back later that day to buy it, & it was gone.

Probably even sadder that I still remember it.

10. dsockel

dsockel Forum Resident

Don't think it exists

Looked at over 100 copies at Popsike, and only Black Monos, no Green Stereo. I bet the first stereo was the bulleye/pinwheel

11. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

It's possible my memory's playing tricks, but I could've sworn it was the green label I saw.

12. peter

peter Senior Member

I think you are right. The bulls-eye was second. I have a stereo bulls eye but it's only VG, barely.

13. michaelO

michaelO Forum Resident

Out of curiosity or compulsion I bought a few of the original issue Atlantic Coltrane. My Favorites Things and Giant Steps. Compared my 24 bit Japan and original MFT last night. Drove my wife crazy going back a forth comparing the two. Drove me a little crazy too! The 24 bit remaster is certainly tweaked, if the original Atlantic is a flat unfused with transfer. The Atlantic is drier and the instruments separated out well. Drums and cymbals more recessed while piano more foreword. The 24 bit sound bigger with more weight to the piano. Cymbals are more forewardly balanced. Bass seems to have been increased a tad. On the whole I still like the 24 bit remaster, but realize now that it strays some from the sound of the master. It plays bigger with more force--not louder. Not really sure what all the Japanese engineers did, but would be interested to know from more technically able posters.
    Will get to Giant steps later.

Michael

Lonson likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim New Member

How do the green-and-red label 70's Atlantic re-issue LPs stack up?

15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I just got a sealed 70's green/red Atlantic (with red "stereo" stamp on the cover) off eBay recently and cracked the seal, did a little shootout, and have to say it trounced the 180g Rhino copy in every way. It makes me think something must be wrong with the tapes at this point because there is a weird fluttering sound on the Rhino version that is completely absent from this version.

16. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Hi Aaron,

Giant Steps sounds the BEST on the US original first run STEREO on the light-green, DEEP GROOVE label with black writing. I know because I have had 'em all -- yes, EVERY US Atlantic pressing from the very first up to the first 70's label (Broadway address), plus three different Japanese pressings, plus the VERY FIRST Rhino 150-gram boxed set (I had one of the lowest numbers), plus a one-off Rhino LP, Rhino CD, original Atlantic CD, etc. This is one of my fave Coltrane, and Coltrane is my Jazz Messiah, as you folks know.

The original green, deep groove, label first run is MUCH MUCH better than the Rhino. The cymbals shimmer with attack and decay, the bass is well defined and goes down deep, reed has both bite and warmth, and you can hear the piano clearly. The original black label mono is a hit and miss, with some of the copies sounding boxed in.

I will stake my entire vinyl reputation on this one.

But here is the twist: you can find an early Atlantic "fan" (early 60's) label with the EXACT SAME dead wax as the green, deep groove label first run for a fraction of the price. It sounds almost identical as the first, depending on the stamper. Highly, highly recommended!

Another green, deep groove Atlantic Jazz LP I highly recommend would be Lee Konitz, Inside Hi Fi original STEREO.

jasonsouza77 and shutdown66 like this.
  17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Sung, thanks for the info, your insight is always appreciated! I'd really love to see this title on the original green label, do you have a picture? I've got a couple copies of Giant Steps on the transitional blue & green "bullseye" label and they are the best version's I've had the pleasure of hearing. I've always wondered about the mono version of this title but haven't pursued it much due to the price and not being particularly thrilled with the sound of the other mono Atlantic Coltrane titles I have.

18. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What's wrong with the MFSL?

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Sckott's long gone from here.

I think the MFSL CD of "Giant Steps" sounds fine. Not great, just fine. That might be why Sckott said what he did.

Kevin

20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

21. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Does anyone have the Rhino / Atlantic "Coltrane Plays the Blues" cd?

Riddle me this. The original album tracks have a weird electronic hum, bonus tracks don't. The alternate bonus tracks also feature the instruments in different positions in the stereo image. The Rhino version was published in 2000.

Questions:

1. Is the hum on the master tape for the original album tracks? Do all issues of this album / cd have the hum? Even the original Atlantic CD from the 80s? Even the Heavyweight Champion box? What about the Japanese versions? etc?
    2. Are the bonus tracks modern day mixes - and hence have the multitracks survived for some of the alternates?
    3. Regarding the multitracks for the original album take masters, did those perish in the Atlantic fire or not?

Thanks!

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

IIRC I noticed it on my CD, which is the Atlantic 80s version with only "Exotica" as a bonus track. So it might very well be on the master tape.

23. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I sprung for the 1990 Giant Steps Atlantic CD. It definitely sounds smooth and gentle to these ears. I then did a quick compare with the same tracks on Heavyweight Champion and noticed a little more tweaking of the bass frequencies, but otherwise pretty close. This is easily a case of where cheaper is better concerning CDs. I'll probably end up ordering the '80s CDs for the other Coltrane Atlantic albums before too long. Will probably sell the Coltrane Impulse! Albums boxes to make room for the Atlantics.

24. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Heavyweight Champion LP box is usually my go to set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.