Best versions of John Coltrane's Atlantic Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hypnotoad, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerthomas

rogerthomas New Member

Can't seem to upload a photo from my computer? I'm really trying to send you guys the proof of the existence of this version...

This is the best I can do... the image was uploaded to my google drive...

18675058_10158762587610607_847299422_o.jpg

2. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

This is a very old thread, I know. I have been led to it by a long felt dissatisfaction with my Coltrane CDs. I seem to have done all my buying during the loudness years, unaware of how these CDs were being remastered. I knew I was listening to great music, but somehow I wasn't enjoying it.

I have recently managed to replace my Labson mastered Impulse titles with earlier ones from 1991 and am already hearing a huge improvement. Now for the Atlantic stuff... I am trying to obtain original Atlantic CD releases of Giant Steps, My Favorite Things and Olé.

No success yet with GS, but I have found MFT.

Question. I have just bought (very cheap) a CD of Olé Coltrane. It is Japanese, released 2008 but the disc is dated 1988. It contains 4 tracks, including the bonus "To Her Ladyship". No mention of Steve Innocenzi anywhere, but the Japanese folded card on the spine says it is 24 bit remastered. Catalogue number WPCR-75344. My question is, anyone know if this is the same mastering as the original US release?

3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

It would appear to be a reissue of this CD: John Coltrane - Olé Coltrane

4. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Interesting. I'm not @W.B. but the text and sheen of that label doesn't look "right". also there is no blue Stereo banner on the top right corner like the Bull's eye label copies.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Looks like a later pressing with a "repro" label, for sure.

6. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

I have all the Coltrane Atlantic albums on the red/green 70's label and all of them were cut By George Piros (at/gp) and sound fantastic. I prefer his cut to the original My Favorite Things pressings that I have (stereo & mono).

7. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yes. Which is itself a reissue of an earlier release. The inclusion of the bonus track and the two tone green of the back cover suggest it is just a reissue of the late 80s Atlantic pressing, which is what I want.

8. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Replying to myself, I know, but I now feel this is a remaster from the 2000s - I can't read the Japanese sleeve notes, but they do refer to events/details in the year 2000. Yesterday I picked up an Olé and Giant Steps which are more certainly originals.

10. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

This seems to accord with my own experience. I have a few Piros Coltrane Atlantics and more recently "upgraded" to early pressings. I think the Piros generally sound better. Oh well...

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

12. eyeCalypso

Disagree. I don't hear any damage.

13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Have you compared it to any copies from the '7os or earlier?

14. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Does someone know how the recent 2017 mono reissues from John Coltrane atlantic's catalogue compare with previous copies like the seventies one

15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Atlantic phased out mono in '68.

16. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Does someone know if the mono 2017 reissues of the coltrane atlantic catalogue are any good compared with previous ones ?

17. eyeCalypso

You'll see in a previous post on page three of this very thread I stated that I have Giant Steps LP reissue from 1969 and that I thought it sounded like feces. That was my opinion of side 1, but another member pointed out that side 2 was from the original 1960 stampers, so I gave another listen and I found he was correct and that the second side sounds great. IMO, the Kevin Grey reissue I referenced sounds different (a little more detailed) but compares favorably to the sound of side 2. All of it sounds better than the first side, no contest.

Where do you hear tape damage? Perhaps I haven't picked up on what you're hearing.

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

There's a fluttering sound on the Kevin Gray cut (I've had two copies) that is absent on the vintage pressings I've had.

19. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Just to clarify: these versions of Giant Steps and Olé are both Japanese releases, catalogue numbers AMCY-1001 (D-1003) and AMCY-1007 (D-1002) respectively. On the discs, which have the same plain black Atlantic design as the 1988 releases, it says 1988. No other date. The booklet makes no mention of mastering/remastering, which suggests these are a (slightly) later reissue of the 1988 flat transfers. The track listing is the same, with 6 bonuses on GS and 1 on Olé. I don't have other copies to do a listening test with. The Japanese notes make no mention of Steve Innocenzi - maybe that wasn't considered as important in the early CD days.

The main thing is ... they sound great.

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Overdue follow up: The OAS box is nice and dynamic but for those keeping score it appears to use the Atlantic Masters masterings with the bonus tracks removed.

ClausH likes this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I have 1989 Ole CD.
    Do I need a vinyl version of this album?

22. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The mono mix is quite nice. You can find the mono Olé Coltrane in both the CD and LP box sets.

Sear likes this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Is the LP big improvement over the CD?
    I can't afford to buy expensive items currently

24. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

hi everyone, im considering to purchase the 1995 vinyl version of heavyweight champion. is it an all analog cutting and does it sound good when compared to the originals/early issues please? thank you

25. chris_m

chris_m Active Member

So there’s an old closed thread which seems to indicate the original Giant Steps 1960 Atlantic 1311 with green label is something of a unicorn, or at least it was at the time (2010) of that thread. I just nabbed a sealed copy (now unsealed) of this pressing at my local record shop for $20. Can anyone confirm if I got ridiculously lucky? Can post pics if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.