Best versions of John Coltrane's Atlantic Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hypnotoad, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Post a pic. I'll bet it's this one: John Coltrane - Giant Steps

2. chris_m

chris_m Active Member

Definitely specifies Atlantic 1311...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chris_m

chris_m Active Member

Okay, still don't know exactly what version I have, maybe a 2005 reissue, but unless time travel was involved with this pressing, it occurs to me that the bar code on the back cover tells me all I need to know :)

eyeCalypso and AaronW like this.
  4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Pretty much every copy of Giant Steps will specify 1311 (SD 1311 for stereo). An original would have a heavy card jacket with laminated front, 157 West 57 Street address on the back, no bar code (obviously) and if the record had a vintage green label, it would be deep groove like this:
    [​IMG]
    It looks like you might have the UK manufactured 2005 version here: John Coltrane - Giant Steps, stamped matrix with Doug@Townhouse etched?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. chris_m

chris_m Active Member

With some squinting was able to confirm the Matrix... it's this version --
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Euro release pressed by Optimal Media in Germany. Based on their reviews, not expecting much, they seem to be very erratic in quality, but at least now I'm not afraid to play it. Price was actually right in line with what it should be, so at least I know my local shop is correct with their pricing.

6. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I just got Giant Step from 1975. Could anyone give some advices on the 70s My Favorite Thing reissues? I found many copies from 1966, 1973, 1974 and 1975. Are there any preferable?

jslcaballo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.