Best vinyl brush and equipment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rosenild, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Rosenild

Rosenild Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Dear all.

I have just received my new turntable in exquisite rosewood veneer and a large acrylic platter. I use a SME 12inch tonearm with Denon 103R with Jelco HS-30 in rosewood.

I would like to purchase the best brush and maintenance equipment and if possible, it should be aesthetic and classical looking. I see there are a lot of plastic brushes with ugly logos. That won't work hehe.

Please let me know if you know something!

Boltman92124 likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You mean to brush the record before play? I just put mine away when I’m not using it.

Rosenild likes this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Record brush "Tara" - Unique record brush from ramar - Handmade in Berlin

let us know how it works ;)

PATB, Jimi Floyd, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  4. Rosenild

Rosenild Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes. But usually I use the brush after I played a record. I try to keep my records clean and the stylus will be take all dust to the surface when playing the record and then I can use the brush to get the dust away.

5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

This is the way I keep my records dust free:

Giottos Rocket-air Blower large

33na3rd and jheyesen like this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Do that under a UV light and you'll how that doesn't really work at that well.

Brushes mostly just re-arrange the fine invisible dust. I keep my records clean with a US cleaner. I have a brush (Roksan Two-Stage Microfibre) but I only use it to brush away visible particles, hair, etc if I see that before playing a record. I mostly don't brush before or after play otherwise.

hi_watt, aunitedlemon and okc_craft like this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I use mine mainly as an attempt to drain any static electricity that may be in the record before play. I’ve found that only really happens with a grounded record brush, which is kind of automatically not going to be up to what the OP is lookin for, aesthetically.

8. Josquin des Prez

I am fortunate that I don't really much issue with static for playing records. In the dead of winter I sometimes get a minor static discharge when I touch the tonearm cue, but that doesn't really translate to record playback. In fact I have a Milty but haven't used it in years. I'm not positive about where it even is now.

Big Blue likes this.
  9. Dewey M

Dewey M Senior Member

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have an older Milty I bought because the current-production ones I got never worked reliably… the older one does work, but I don’t really want to have to deal with that for every record I play in the winter (which, yes, is when it’s worst here). The grounded brush is relatively effective, with the added benefit of sweeping away any surface dust or airborne hair (cats…) that has been drawn to the record.

11. Josquin des Prez

I think my Milty is about 40 yrs old. :)

Like I said, I'm lucky in that I don't really need static management, and don't even use my brush all that often.

Big Blue likes this.
  12. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

13. Josquin des Prez

14. sdc

sdc Well-Known Member

I recently got one of these and it works very well. It has an aesthetic that would nicely match your rosewood.

15. Ryan Strasil

Ryan Strasil Well-Known Member

That's what I use for static(doesn't do well for brushing stuff off in my experience). I use a Tigers Cloth to get any dust/etc that is on the record once I put it on the platter.

16. Eltjo Biemold

Eltjo Biemold Forum Resident

Levin design makes great brushes that are looking very classical.

[​IMG]

17. Wolfie62

Wolfie62 Forum Resident

I don’t care what my “brush” looks like. SQ is what I care about.

For the past 17 years I’ve been playing clean, static free records. I use a low angle LED light on my turntable that allows me to see dust on my records.

I quit using my Discwasher set. Stopped using carbon fiber brushes, grounded brushes. They don’t work.

I did a lot of experimenting. I landed on what works, regardless of price or appearance.

I use a high quality (no shedding) microfiber towel rolled up, sprayed with a fine mist of 70% isopropyl alcohol and pharmaceutical grade water. The alcohol+water causes dust to stick to the microfiber and kills+short circuits static charge. It works year-round. Under strong light, the dust is gone even hours/days later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ubiknik, Clonesteak, Adam9 and 6 others like this.
  18. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

This really is a great brush. The fibers are long and the handle is soft, so there is zero chance of scraping a record. It's so good I use it to clean any dust off my stylus between sides as well. I don't get how people use standard carbon fiber brushes with short bristles and hard plastic edges.

Dewey M likes this.
  19. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Audio Technica AT-6012 misted with 50% isopropyl alcohol will lift everything loose in a single rotation.

It just doesn't look very fancy.

bajaed likes this.
  20. Paul_In_WA

Paul_In_WA Forum Resident

Do you have a theory about why that rolled up towel works better for you than a microfiber brush?

Cognac62 and sound chaser like this.
  21. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

22. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

I second the Ursa major brush. Is a quality brush for reasonable money.

23. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

24. afx

afx Forum Resident

I seriously question the effectiveness of using a brush to do anything more than remove surface dust.
    I still use my original Discwasher

[​IMG]

Cognac62 and BrentB like this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Isn’t that exactly what the brush is meant to do, though?