Best vinyl pressings - Pink Floyd albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echidna Arf, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm most interested in WYWH, DSOTM, The Wall and Meddle. Read through the 2016 pressing massive post, but it's hard to make something out.
    It seems these are the best:

WYWH: Mastersound
    DSOTM: A3/B3
    The Wall: TML
    Meddle: 1u/1u

Do any of the reissues sound better? Or is it more of a bang for your buck kind of thing. All opinions appreciated!

2. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Well depends on your budget I guess.
    I have all the originals you mentioned
    and for WYWH find a nice Uk first issue or second and you won't go far wrong.
    TDSOTM A3/B3 my go to copy, again find a good one and enjoy.
    The Wall I have Uk first and Dutch first
    Issue, I like my Dutch copy a little more very quite playback and nice bass.
    Meddle 1u/1u , good choice mine a little noisy but a great pressing worth hunting out.
    As for Reissue Remastered I have 2016 vinyl and they are very good for a small outlay to start a Pink Floyd Vinyl collection.
    Good luck and hope I helped you on your vinyl Pink Floyd journey, Floyd.

PADYBU, wwright, myles and 3 others like this.
  3. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I'd say the new reissues win on lack of surface noise alone, but for real, the reissues of More, Meddle, and Animals that I picked up are arguably 'better' sonics-wise than my originals. YMMV.

For around $22 each, you can't go wrong, imho.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My original Meddle ain’t so great. I think I’ll go newest reissue, now.

5. Former Lee Warmer

Mine isn't either, the Doug Sax remaster on CD from 1994 is better than my original Harvest, which is surface-noisy and kind of...muffled and 'subdued'. The new reissue LP blows my original out of the water, truth be told. Haven't heard the new CD, fwiw.

Echidna Arf and Floyd Crazy like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks for that analysis. Yep, Meddle is muddled...glad there’s a good one out there!

7. Former Lee Warmer

Never heard a UK Harvest, so maybe that one is as good as they say...but for half the price, I'll take the Grundman cut every time.

Echidna Arf and Chemguy like this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm just going to straight up state that new re-issues are very good. They are comparable to best pressings. Are they better? Well, you've all ready found out the most of us have our favorites. These albums are well recorded and there really are any bad ones if you stick with the major pressings. If the MoFi DSotM better than the 30th Anniversary? I don't think so. But others will argue for the UK Harvests. I'm probably in a minority, but I like the '97 EMI a lot, even though I tend to listen to the 2011 Sax cut. The 2012 TML Wall is very good, even though I haven't a clue if it's better than the new Grundman cuts. Regarding Meddle, no idea but the Grundman cut is really good, but so the MoFi gold CD.

9. Former Lee Warmer

Being a Floyd fan is not a sonic handicap!

Jam757 and Echidna Arf like this.
  10. Echidna Arf

Do you know which stamper number for the WYWH issue? How does it compare to the Half-Speed Master?

11. Echidna Arf

Also, in my first post I meant half speed master, not mastersound. I don't know how to edit posts.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ive tested a lot of reissues and and originals against each other. By Reissue I mean 2016 BG Cuts.

For:

• DSOTM - Early UK (A2/B2-B3/B3) and MFSL beat reissues. Japanese PRO USE also good if you like high end and less bass but expensive. Reissues are EQd too high but still good starters.
    • Meddle - Tie sort of. UK 1U up to 4-U sound identical to me, latter is cheaper. Reissue has less sibilance, less system demanding, but is also a little more laid back, still pretty close and cheaper.
    • Animals - similar to Meddle above
    • WYWH - I prefer the reissue becaused its EQd a little higher so voices and things sound more realistic than UK originals. UK has a bit more bass because of it and sounds smoother but less in the room.
    • AHM - UK 1U wins hands down. The reissue has pretty much no advantage and the UK has better bass and vibrancy.
    Still looking for a TML Wall so I cant say yet, reissues are good but Ive heard the TML is better.

Remember, if your system is already very bright it might balance out the WYWH UK and vice versa for DSOTM.
    You can read my more extensive reviews on each releases respective Discogs page.

My system:

Rega RP1 with Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Cyrus 2 Amplifier
    System Fidelity SF-3050 Tower Speakers
    Custom made HQ Speaker Cables

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    timnor and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. Leonthepro

Some like the half speed, but its about the only valid half speed they did, the wall half speed is terrible for example.
    Also, if you get that one, look up if its the good one or not also.
    There are 2 versions, one is good, the other is as bad as their other attempts, EQ set wrong or something.

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I have the latest vinyl re-issue of The Wall and the Mobile Fidelity CD set. I normally prefer vinyl these days but the MFSL CD is maybe the finest in my collection. Amazing.

Leonthepro likes this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

In my opinion the TML is sonically better than the 2016 (The Wall)……...but my TML is on US vinyl which can be distracting because of surface noise. I've heard the US promo is where it's at for quiet vinyl....but they have become very expensive. Maybe UK or German??

16. Leonthepro

German and UK tended to be quieter at the time yes. I think there are also TML stamped German pressings no?
    Might be a good combo.
    Never pop up in my store though, just Swedish copies.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

@Leonthepro....Yeah, I'm almost positive there is a TML German pressing.......there is a recent thread that is still open that discusses the best vinyl options for The Wall (you've probably read it). I've owned around 5 or 6 different US copies of The Wall, and the ones stamped with TML sound best. But everyone of them has been noisy to some degree, which is why the 2016 Grundman is a nice option.......good sonics with quiet vinyl.
    If you happen to come across a US copy, I prefer the later pressings (1980's barcode)....very light flexible vinyl (very interesting compound), but seem to have less noise than the earlier thicker vinyl, and are easier to clean. I have one with TML on all 4 sides, and is my first choice for this title. If you own the 2016, it should suffice until you find a nice TML.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. peter

peter Senior Member

I have late 70's HTM copies of DS, M and WYWH. They are all wonderful.

Pancat and LivingForever like this.
  19. Echidna Arf

Btw I listened to Meddle -4 -3 and 1U/1U, couldn't tell the difference. But I thought they sounded a lot better than the 2016 BG.

peter, Leonthepro and AaronW like this.
  20. Leonthepro

My observations too, except not A LOT better, but noticably so, with the drawbacks mentioned.

peter likes this.
  21. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

A3/B3
    A2/B2-B3/B3

Can someone expain what above mentioned symbols mean? How can one identify a release through these?

22. Leonthepro

Those identify which Laqcuer was used. Do you know how the whole vinyl creating process works and what matrix runouts are? If not then its hard to explain simply, but basically if its a lower number it means it was earlier.
    Same for 1U and 4U.

23. Adam Pajda

Yes I am familiar with the technology of cutting/pressing vinyls.
    So what does the letter and a digit stand for.
    So you're saying when there's A letter it means the first pressing? And then every subsequent repress gets B, C, D etc? What about the digits then?

24. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

A and B are usually the sides.

25. Adam Pajda

GENIUS !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.