Best vinyl record pressing of Nirvana - Nevermind?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zumbi, May 12, 2018.

1. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member Thread Starter

I am wondering if someone know which pressing of Nirvana - Nevermind that sounds the best? I need to get this record in to my collection, its a classic record...

Crimson jon likes this.
  2. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I have this pressing on ORG Music and it sounds great. According to this thread, the plates were used for another - still affordable - pressing.

3083joe, Terry, ellingtonic and 2 others like this.
  3. Zumbi

Thank you very much! I think I am going to get the cheaper pressing because I am not a hardcore Nirvana fan, so I do not feel the other one is worth the money.

4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I own an original US pressing and a Mobile Fidelity pressing.

the US pressing sounds best. It has balls!!

Aftermath likes this.
  5. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

6. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

7. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

That's the one to get! I've that Pallas pressing and it really kicks a** soundwise- if you get this one you never have to look for another pressing. :righton:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Zumbi

Do you have a discogs link to that pressing?

9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've this one:

Nirvana - Nevermind

YoGarrett likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Tons of threads on this. I have three or four different versions. Youll know which ones best when the drums kick in on Teen Spirit. ORG.

Cool thing is..the pallas pressing uses the same mastering

Read this..go to discogs..purchase 2013 pallas pressing...done...:)

Nirvana Nevermind ORG Vinyl

khanrahan and GentleSenator like this.
  11. Zumbi

Ah, thats the one I added to the wantlist. I got confused there :p Thanks!

GyroSE likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Anyone know how a 91 EU press compares? ;^)

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know how it compares to others as it's all I've ever had, but I love the 1991 original EU pressing.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Same here. :righton:

15. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I have the EU pressed Back to Black version from a few years ago with 320 stamped in the matrix. Sounds absolutely spectacular. I also have an original EU pressing, but the reissue is beefier. Haven't heard the ORG, but I have an ORG Incesticide which also sounds great so sure the Nevermind is good.

paulisdead likes this.
  16. Leonthepro

Guess Ill sell my EU press for it then ;^(

17. davecaddie

davecaddie Forum Resident

The Pallas pressing is pretty fantastic to my ears and seems to be the only retail pressing available here in Canada.

18. This is the LP you need in order for Nirvana to get your windows breathing.
    Stupendous mastering & sonics, with pressing quality to match. It cannot be played loud enough...
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    :shtiphat:

19. Leonthepro

I hear the US original is a little better.

20. You hear it's better, or you've actually listened to it? If it's better than the one I linked, it must be one of the best-sounding LP's ever. Buy both & compare! I for one would be interested in that shootout...

21. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Did MFSL put it out on vinyl? I have the gold disc.

22. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I have the MFSL on vinyl. I think I played it once. Sounded great, but it's just not my thing musically.

Should probably sell it.

23. Leonthepro

steamybrown2003
    October 22, 2014
    edited 6 days ago
    I just did a shoot-out with the "Original U.S. Geffen” release, the European "320", the "MoFi", the blue vinyl "ORG", and the "20th", I found that the original U.S. cut was done correctly the first time; balanced, but BIG, and somehow raw with a polished edge. The "320" has a punchier kick that works (a nice “alternate” version to the 91’ U.S. 1st press), but sacrifices the raw edge of the original a bit. The "MoFi" sucks energy out of the record (just do an “A/B” test on the hits, especially “Lithium”-night and day). Is there some extra detail revealed, sure, because they removed/adjusted a portion of the mids and low end, leaving it to sound somewhat shrill. It’s not terrible by any means, but it’s just not “Nevermind” unless it kicks you in the gut. The “MoFi’s” remastering is certainly better than the “25th Ann.”, it just doesn’t kick you a$$, although you can turn your trim up high without any distortion. The "ORG", on beautiful 180gram blue vinyl, sticks close to the original 91’ Geffen release in sound, and further defines it. The "20th Ann." is a complete disaster, except for the packaging, and in my opinion was remastered to match today's current "non-dynamic" standard-one big block of sound that fatigues the ear within minutes of listening.

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I own a European Back to black and it sounds excellent

black sheriff likes this.
  25. Rangeboy

Rangeboy Member

Nevermind is a never-minefield hehehehe. Amazon are selling a newer reissue exclusively for Amazon Prime members (I'm pretty sure Kurt would turn in his grave) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nevermind-VINYL-Nirvana/dp/B0000088DC
    Says it's a limited edition import from Universal/Polydor 2008. The only discogs reissue from that year is the back to black 60th anniversary with a red sticker. It's a GZ vinyl mastered by Howie Weinberg and Willem Mackkee (inhouse at GZ?). It's very cheap, but is it worth getting the newer back to black edition from 2017 pressed at Optimal for a little more money? Or go for the Pallas which everyone says is the best.