Best vinyl recording - Vince Guiraldi’s Peanuts Christmas Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pcox311, Nov 17, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcox311

pcox311 New Member Thread Starter

Vince Guiraldi’s Peanuts Christmas has been my main holiday staple for as long as I can remember. I started collecting vinyl a few years ago and finally want to get this album.

I see new vinyl releases of older music popping up everywhere - from Amazon to Target. But my common sense tells me not all vinyl sounds alike, and won’t always reflect fidelity.

So where can I find this album on vinyl with the best sound quality?

2. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

From a best bang for your buck perspective, I just picked up a copy from Newbury Comics that sounds pretty solid. I think it might use the same George Horn mastering from 1988, but this is purely speculation on my part. It’s also on Black Friday sale right now.

On discogs there’s an Analogue Productions copy, which I’m sure would be better. But, not at the price it’s commanding right now.

Recordfan likes this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For most people, the Craft Recordings reissue with the original cover would be as good as there is short of Analog Productions. And bonus points, uses the original cover art.

John Bliss and Rupe33 like this.
  4. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Looks like both the Craft and Newbury (1988 Concord / Fantasy reissue) have lacquers cut by AMS at George Horn Studios. The matrixes are different, however, I’d imagine them to be pretty similar. The Craft recording states that the laquer used is from George Horn, and the Newbury/Concord/Fantasy cover states that it uses the George Horn mastering. Given the price point and similarities in descriptions, I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

McLover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.