Best vinyl storage ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by drad dog, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I don't think they have grip holes or straps, but I believe Quadraspire's "QUBE MODULAR STORAGE CABINETS" can be fitted with casters. They are modular and can include glass doors.

https://quadraspire.co.uk/qubes.html

2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Those are nice, and I agree overpriced. I've not seen a better permanent/portable storage solution. Handles could be installed or cut in (rounded edges) with a router... seems excessive for the price however. A similar design could be constructed from birch ply, but also time consuming. My storage solution utilizes a melamine cabinet from Home Depot. The cabinet looks tidy, the shelves do not sag, the records stay practically dust free. For longer term and less accessible storage, I use hardboard reinforced 14 inch square boxes. (can also use 1 inch thick hard foam insulation, extremely stiff and does not sag) The end risers make the boxes stackable. I've had them 4 high, and never a crushed box.

3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener Thread Starter

To update: I just got one of those expensive ones, and also a cheap non wood self sticking cube for $30. After assembly, I just bought another one of those expensive ones, and have given up on 3m bound cubes. How was that going to hold 50 LPs anyway? My advice is stay away.

How do you choose and size your home depot cabinet purchases? Are there photos on line?

Also about the hardboard: Any photos to illustrate?

4. drad dog

Looks sweet. Just made a phone call and it's $449, before options though. I called a guy in TX and he gave me two more local possible dealers. I also note that it is shipped flat. Self assembly is usually harder than they describe it. For that price they ought to put it together.

eflatminor likes this.
  5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My house.

loudinny and Bingo Bongo like this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Well, since your asking. :D

I only have 1 box of Beatles records......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    drad dog likes this.
  7. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

This...

That is very inexpensive for solid hardwood boxing made specifically for vinyl storage by an American craftsman in a small woodshop. Could be finished with oil, varnish, stain, paint ect, and offers customization...
    I have always liked the Ikea products and have thought about storing my collection that way...
    Tony's product may not visually appeal to everyone, but it's material quality and built one-at-a-time approach, puts it in different category than most other options.

Ironclaw likes this.
  8. The FRiNgE

Photobucket does not allow free sharing any more, so the next best is from the Home Depot site, the first link a better photo, however an expensive model. The second link is a single unit at a reasonable cost, the third a double unit. The doors open without interference of an adjacent cabinet, so these can be placed together without any space between.

Modifi Horizon 84 in. H x 30 in. W x 15 in. D Melamine Utility Kit in White-ENUT30-HPW - The Home Depot

Prepac Elite 65 in. H x 16 in. W x 16 in. D Laminate Wood Narrow Cabinet in White.-WEB-1664 - The Home Depot

ClosetMaid 15.25 in. D x 24 in. W x 71.75 in. H Laminate Storage Cabinet Closet System in White-12281 - The Home Depot

The third is the one I have, but has double doors. They may still stock it.. but did not see it on the site. The double door model opens up nicely because of the smaller doors.

9. The FRiNgE

For the 14 inch square boxes, I prefer the hard insulation for its light weight and strength. It saved several boxes on the floor of a storage unit that leaked.. the box wicked the water but the records survived. The hardboard can be 1/2 inch, but 3/4 is better. The hardboard makes a lot of dust from cutting, so it needs to be blown off with compressed air, wiped with a damp cloth, then blown off again. If super fussy about any dist, spray with a thin layer of clear poly urethane. The poly will almost entirely be absorbed into the material. but absolutely will never shed any dust.

Reinforcement panel dimensions using 3/4 inch stock:

Bottom panel 13.75 inches square
    Riser panel 13.75 (w) x 12.75 (h) inches (vertical reinforcement to keep the end LP's from bowing out the box, and support stacking weight)
    Stack panel (optional) 14.25 x 42.75 (these are for extra stacking support.. ie: for box three boxes on the floor lay this down on them for the next layer)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  10. drad dog

Update: I bought one of these cubes and it was really nice. Tried the stick-on cube and it's in the trash now. I got two more of the good cubes with the plexi pane, and the contents of those will be my entire vinyl collection. (It's an archive. I don't listen that often.) I'll probably sell the rest soon, about 40 % of my vinyl.

11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Milk Crates

They really should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

12. drad dog

Not the ones I have. I think they are famous for not fitting LPs. It may be that they changed over the years but the old ones didn't. At Urban Outfitters they might.

13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I use these in clear oak. durable enough. Have some in a closet 7 high. Need about 21 more...ugh.

14. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have some of the finished cherry on the way and if they work out I’ll be replacing my IKEA Expedit and Kallax with them.

JNTEX likes this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Ikea Kallax, FTW
    Cost me less than $600 for 53 linear feet of record storage. Would have been a bit less if I didn't pick the more expensive gloss white finish.

[​IMG]

RobCos02330, trd, Mike6565 and 7 others like this.
  16. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

They work very well, indeed.

ellingtonic and JNTEX like this.
  17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

yes, I don't doubt you will like them, only complaint I heard of was matching the stain color....

18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Is it an optical illusion or or those shelves sagging?

19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

That's what I thought upon first look!

20. Josquin des Prez

No, they are absolutely not sagging. The shelves really are flat as a pancake. It's just the way (angle?) the photo is shot I guess.

CCrider92 likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good to hear. I know that depending on the camera and lens, you can get optical illusions (you see it on architectural photos quite often).

22. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, it was taken with an iPhone X.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, it looks great, illusion or not! And I'm just jealous anyway as my collection is maybe 400 records (I thought I had more but I recently counted and the count included old Firesign Theater, Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, and Shelly Berman comedy albums).

24. Josquin des Prez

Thanks. :)
    That's not even all of them. There are about 3000 LPs there, but I have several hundred stored elsewhere on other Kallax shelves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.