Best vinyl tracks to diagnose setup issues?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ProfessorC1983, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfessorC1983

ProfessorC1983 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure this has been asked before, but wasn't sure if it should go under Hardware or Music since it's kinda both. Basically I'm wondering what are the best vinyl tracks (music, not an actual test LP) for diagnosing issues and tweaking stuff like alignment, VTA, anti-skate etc.?

I'm at the point where I think I've got my TT and system pretty dialed in but occasionally things just don't sound right, and especially with used vinyl I find myself constantly wondering if the distortion is in the LP or maybe I could tweak something to fix it.

So I'd love to make some needledrops to post here for feedback, but what are the best albums or tracks to use? I'm thinking of current production pressings that can easily be bought new to eliminate record wear as a potential variable, and are known to be high quality recordings so y'all in-the-know folks could easily say "there shouldn't be sibilance there" or "wow your bass is light, get that tail down or try a new cart." Anything like that exist?

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dont think there is a correct answer to this really. Just the music you are most familiar with.
    No matter how good I think a song might be for testing I would not recommend it to someone whos never heard it before as a means to identify if its played "correctly".

I mostly use Dark Side of the Moon personally. Different pressings of it.

But what I also want you to take from this is that there is no such thing as perfection with vinyl, even though we strive for it.
    Skating, SRA, VTA, these settings change constantly depending on what music you play. A good average is the best you can do, not a perfect playback of 1 particular groove. Which is why test LPs arnt as useful as some think by the way.

Get the table leveled, VTF set and Azimuth as perfect as you can if your stylus is of exotic shape and get the rest in the ballpark and experiment a bit.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I've come to realize that if occasionally things just don't sound right, it's not the set-up - it's the record. As long as most things play to expectations, don't try to chase the occasional dip in quality. Records are just not created equal.

Leonthepro likes this.
  4. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

The best way is to use a test record made just for the purpose. There are a bunch out there.

5. Leonthepro

Caugh, first 2 posts caugh...

6. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Even though I am very new to the vinyl world, I agree. Recently I have been buying & playing a lot of new vinyl. Everything sounds great so far on my new Technics 1200GR.
    I recently picked up the most recent Beatles 67-70 blue. I noticed immediately some sibilance on some of the songs that stood out. I was immediately worried that maybe its my setup. But I played some other new titles I got. Pink Floyd 25th Division Bell and Alice Cooper Welcome to my nightmare Rhino and they both sounded great. Since then everything else sounds fine. Leonthepro is correct, play what you are familiar with that you know sounds great for the test.

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Congrats on the 1200GR, great starter table.
    Can I ask what cart you have with that?

8. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Well, yeah, if I had actually read *all* the words I suppose maybe I would have seen that part...:doh:

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

After I get a new cartridge aligned, I usually run it through the 4 torture tracks and work with the anitskate a bit. Now this is not the time or way to set antiskate, but it tells me something—will antiskate allow me to track the 3rd and 4rth track without asymmetrical distortion. If so, this is a good sign. I usually back off antiskate after this to an eyeball correct level, like about where I've got my tracking weight set.

I then check channel balance, but I use a real-time VST plugin to do this. This gives me some impression if there is a notable mismatch in voltage between L and R. I next go to the azimuth test and have a general look at where this sits.

If all this looks OK, I start listening knowing that the suspension is going to relax of the next hundred hours or so. Then I can go back and try and refine a bit and re-examine where I'm at with a suspension system that's more characteristic.

10. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

nothing too fancy- Ortofon 2M Blue.

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. Leonthepro

Its still a good neutral cart. I should mention for those interested in regards to the topic of the thread though, the stylus shape does matter when it comes to distortions, like sibilance.

There are the 3 causes for sibilance given functioning gear and proper installation:

Worn diamond - Easy way to check is to have a replacement on the ready.

Demandingly recorded or engineered music - A finer stylus will produce a cleaner signal unless the recording is naturally sibilant.

Worn grooves - A finer stylus can help, but you are pretty screwed here unless you can buy a nicer copy.

So if sibilance, other distortions and record preservation is a big deal to you then I would suggest either the Bronze or the Black for Ortofon. Until then, enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.