Best working turntable under or at 250 dollars?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metalhead85, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Looks like you need to refresh all chain. Start with speakers and amplifier. If you are short on cash - ALWAYS get used gear. You will save MORE than half from retail price easily. For amplifier you can check top of the line AVRs from 5 or more years ago (brands like Integra, Marantz). They are usually sold VERY cheap, but will work perfectly as stereo amplifier. I, myself was unsuccessfully trying to sell top model Onkyo AVR ( 7x110W real power) for 1/8 of original price with no takers. If you check around, you may find something like that. Then come speakers - look at floor standing ones with original price in $1500 range. Even 10 years old ones will work for you and likely will be cheap. Using AVR will help, if you decided to add subwoofer for deep bass. Turntable is also best to buy used. Even humble Technics 1200SLMK2 will work, unless it was in DJ hands. There is very hard to break something it, other than tonearm. But spare parts are still readily available. Top AVR models always have phono preamplifier, not best, but usable. Ortofon 2M cartridge will work as decent starting point. Cartridge is THE ONLY component, I suggest always buy NEW. Computer will be your digital source with AVR doing DAC duties. That's all.

2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Don't listen to people telling you 5000$ is required to play correctly vinyl records...

An endgame turntable / phono stage that will give you final sound can be found for a fifth of this price !

And you can start having very good sounding playback for less.

3. Metalhead85

Metalhead85 Doesn’t understand noise music Thread Starter

I don’t have a lot of space or I’d have better speakers. That’s all. This is exactly why I typically buy used, though.

4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I'd have to be convinced that the similar players in the $200-300 are noticeably different. As I mentioned when I linked it earlier, it allows some $ for a VM95E or Grado Black.

(Also, MH, toss the felt slipmats and grab a $20ish acrylic or cork-rubber mat.)

Ahem...

Pro-Ject Essential III SB Turntable-Audio Advisor

5. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I hate to be "that guy" but IMO, a used Technics for around $250 will beat the brakes off anything new for the same price.

Nice SL-1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, and 1700 regularly go for less than $200.

6. Metalhead85

Nono, don’t worry! I’ve heard DJ’s use these correct? I’ve been wanting to learn how to scratch for a while.

7. FalseMetal666

Nah, DJs use the SL-1200, traditionally. Higher torque motors and pitch control make them super DJ friendly. The "home" models that I listed wouldn't be great for that.

I use a modified 1200 at home and it's great, though I've never tried scratching/beat making on it. Maybe someday.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. SpeedMorris

Craigslist in Austin wants $500 for an SL-1500. Does have a new $30 cart, however.

9. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

That's ridiculously overpriced. The SL-1500 is a great, basic, fully manual, direct drive table that is reliable and very easy to service and maintain. For these reasons, It's one I often recommend. The last one I sold was fully serviced, in better cosmetic condition, with a better cartridge and I sold it for $150. This is a model that should be available in the $250 price range.

10. FalseMetal666

"Craigslist in Austin" will be sitting on that table for a while.

11. SpeedMorris

I may be falling for a trick question , but hmm...

1- Weight (looks like 3 pounds or so)
    2- Cartridge
    3- Belt-pulley, etc
    4- MH claims electronic speed control
    5- Metal vs plastic tone arm lift (or just different paint?)
    6- Auto lift and stop for the Classic
    7- Lacquer coats
    8- Better phono amp for the Classic?
    9- Feet?

The arm sure looks the same, no? Bearings?

12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Understood...
    The LP60 (any version) is automatic - it lifts and returns the arm at the end of a side. Are you used to that and do you require that? Most new turntables are manual only.
    One of the few current automatics is the Audio Technica AT-LP3.
    You can get a better buy with something vintage that works. If you find an interesting one that is working, you could post the model here and we will approve or disapprove.
    The AT91 and AT3600 are the same starter cartridge, with very slightly different original styli. It is not bad. If you want an upgrade, get a different cartridge. The next model AT, the VM95E, is a step up.

Metalhead85 likes this.
  13. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I agree that with a low budget the option is a good vintage turntable.
    Technics direct drive quartz lock speed made in japan are the best price / performance IMHO ... search for Technics SL-Q2 or Q3. Very decent turntable and in good shape for less than 200 usd generally.

My SL-Q2 have more than 40 years working with 2 drops of oils in the spindle every 3-4 years (every 2k hours says the manual) ... perfectly working. Tough to find that durability, quality and construction precision in a brand new low cost project / fluance / whatever.

Other vintage turntables i have had: lenco l75, garrard 301 and Technics 1200 mk2. It's other price tag, but the best was the 1200 mk2. Forget about the "DJ machine" legend ... it's a spectacular record player machine.

JohnO, patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  14. Metalhead85

I’m definitely used to dropping the stylus to the groove! Honestly probably better to do than letting the machine do it’s thing tbh.

15. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Placing the stylus in the groove yourself is fine. At the end of the side, an automatic will lift and return the arm. I find that extremely useful.

16. SpeedMorris

I apparently missed this post while snooping around Austin Craigslist. Then saw AP1's post about your other stuff, checked your profile info, and it seems like you could use some speakers more than another table for now. You mention that you don't have much room, and obviously aren't rolling in dough. But are you sure you couldn't cram some 7x13", 6 x 10-11" , etc speakers in there- even if they had to be on the floor, on their side, under the bed or one high-one low? You'd kill a little Soundlink. (What teen worries about perfect setup, anyway?)

These early century JBLs aren't very deep, for example. They were pretty well regarded, as were the smaller N24 (obviously, with less bass).

JBL N26 Northridge Series Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Dark Gray) | eBay

Or there are some pretty cheap Infinity Primus models.

This one's a bit bigger, but an absolute steal on a sound per dollar basis. That LP60 might sound amazingly better if the old Sanyo's 35 watts are working.

Tested! ATHENA TECHNOLOGIES AUDITION BLACK BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS 150W MODEL AS-B2-1 | eBay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.