Better Bonus Tracks...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

I was listening to the Sundazed cd of Chad & Jeremy's "Distant Shores" album and I am always astounded at the fact that the bonus tracks, nearly a whole album's worth, are BETTER than the regular release. Much more upbeat whereas the regular release is a little 'sleepy' by comparison, mood wise. Although the song 'Distant Shores' is great, I wonder why the bonus tracks never got released. For instance, they do a killer version of "You've Got You're Troubles (I've Got Mine) that beats the original and they do an amazing version of The Shadows' "Wonderful Land".

Any other examples of albums where the bonus tracks beat the original release?

2. JWB

JWB New Member

They're not necessarily bonus tracks, but the outtakes from "The Birds, The Bees And The Monkees" are better than most of the songs that wound up on the album!

I know it's blasphemy, but I personally think that Radiohead's b-sides from "The Bends" are better than much of the album!

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I have the two disc version of Paul McCartney's album, OFF THE GROUND. I prefer to listen to the second disc of B-sides.

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Sundazed's CD release of the Chocolate Watchband's ONE STEP BEYOND is for the most part only worth purchasing for the 4 bonus tracks -Don't Need your Lovin',Sitting There Standing,Blues Theme and Loose Lip Sync Ship which were by the original group whereas the rest of the album isn't and is quite lame. The PSYCHOTIC REVELATION CD by the Count Five on the Big Beat Label reissues the original album but IMO the bonuses which include all their non-LP singles outshine a lot of the filler covers on the original album (though being a garageband obsessive-the fillers are thrillers for me).

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On is considered by most to be a classic/five star type of album, but a track-by-track basis, a high percentage of the bonus songs on the Deluxe Edition are actually better. Songs like "The World is Rated X" and "Where Are We Going?" are primo, grade A, essential Gaye. While Let's Get It On is constructed as two suites that are just right as they are, it is fun constructing an alternate album with the bonus stuff. Similarly, I think I prefer many of the outtakes/alternates on the Deluxe Edition of I Want You, especially some of the full length versions, like "I Wanna Be Where You Are".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.