Better Call Saul - Season Five Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The meaner Kim gets, the sexier I find her

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I understand that this sort of thing matters to some (or maybe a lot of) people, but I don't care if my good feelings about or for Kim (or any character) goes away. All I care about is if the story is a good one, and I think the story about what's emerging in Kim is a very good one. It's an interesting, unnerving story about a complex human being, and I think it's being told very compellingly--Mesa Verde, mixed feelings about Howard, and all.

L.

51IS, Jim Pattison, Hot Ptah and 8 others like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I agree--they're giving Kim agency and a complexity, whereas otherwise, she would be stuck in the boring role of the voice of reason against Saul's questionable moral choices (which would create short term friction, but only so far, as she couldn't believably stay with a man like Jimmy if she really abhorred how he truly is).

We know what eventually happens to Saul, Mike and Gus--Kim's story trajectory is the wildcard, and the one I'm probably most interested in at this point.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Kim went off like that on Chuck as well, didn't she.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It seems like Howard is transforming as well. The death of Chuck, the lawsuit, etc. has taken a toll on him. He went to a therapist and changed his license plate to 'Namaste'.

enro99, Hot Ptah, EddieMann and 3 others like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

She did, but it was lie to protect Jimmy. In the case of Howard she is telling (her) truth.

Hot Ptah and EddieMann like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, it explains why he wouldn't immediately press charges against Saul for the things he has recently done to Howard (bowling balls, hookers.)

Hot Ptah and bmoregnr like this.
  8. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

If there's anyone with a catchphrase in this show then it is surely Kim with, "Ok Jimmy, you crossed a line there, but you're not going to do it again, right?"
    :)
    Maybe she hasn't actually said that previous to this last episode, but it certainly feels like she must have done!

She can't possibly believe it herself at this stage. It's like some kind of abused spouse syndrome. But I really don't see her as a victim, if anything she is becoming more the femme fatale. Or maybe that has been her role all along. Which would make Jimmy's "am I bad for you?" question quite ironic.

And that's how Kim seemed to respond to that question too. "Are you bad for me? Ha!" Her character is almost a complete enigma to me at this point.

I loved that look of astonishment on Jimmy's face as Kim heads to the bathroom blowing smoke from her gunfingers. A look halfway between admiration and frightened little boy.

9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yes, Howard has demonstrated that he has some cool. He's not just some stereotypical tight-ass. It does make him more interesting.

Hot Ptah, Chrome_Head and YardByrd like this.
  10. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Come to think of it, Kim's fervent but insincere defense of Jimmy to Chuck back in season 2 ("Nailed") is a little bit like her fervent but insincere defense of Jimmy to Lalo in ep 9.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

They didn’t develop that much but yes I think we are to take it that his guilt about Chuck among other things is driving him generally and offering Jimmy a job in particular. That said you can take the crochet tie off the Howard but you can’t take the Howard out of the Hamlin.

That and I’d guess that he knows he can’t beat Jimmy anyway and would have to drag it out in the mud should he want to try.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

True. I also think the "namaste" bumper sticker was meant to clearly show us the depth of Howard's spiritual change and commitment - which is to say, maybe not so deep.

Hot Ptah, stereoptic and bmoregnr like this.
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’ll have to go watch it again but I remember a scene with him taking a call in his living room with all the posery accouterment like singing bowl etc. that rang, yeah about as deep as you’d expect Howard to ever get.

Hot Ptah and Tim S like this.
  14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Howard doesn't strike me as necessarily an evil dude or anything like, just another dude in power who suffers from "imposter" syndrome because of his privileged background.

Next to Chuck all his lawyering life, Howard knows everyone questions whether or not he really deserves to be there. Chuck's legal genius was evident -- Next to Chuck, Howard probably always got the, "This guy is here because of his daddy and wealth, right?"

This situation led to Howard to becoming the uptight, insecure, anxious, "I have a right to be here, I really do!" pain in the ass with his colleagues.

nosticker, enro99, Hot Ptah and 3 others like this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

What we have seen of Howard's lawyering in action isn't impressive. Unless I am forgetting some things, it was basically him at Chuck's hearing - and he was pretty awful at it.

His forte seems to be more like marketing or PR, thing related to that. You just KNOW that designating that color as "hamlindigo blue" was his idea.

16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Gilligan and company seem to do this with several characters, using the same behaviors two or three times to really drive home the point they want to make; Kim standing up for Jimmy, Mike taking a half measure that ends up costing him in the end, I'm sure there are others.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  17. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

18. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I admit I did have a little bit of "Wait... that's it?!?" feeling to the season finale. All in all, still a good season.

I never would have thought they'd squeeze this much out of this offshoot from Breaking Bad. I may not always be on the edge of my seat like I was with that storyline, but I'm still enjoying watching this.

And I still have to say that Rhea Seehorn is amazing.

nosticker, enro99, Hot Ptah and 7 others like this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Like others, I was not a fan of Howard at first, but he has grown on me. It helps that Patrick Fabian does a tremendous job playing the role. I think the turning point for me was when Chuck threatened to sue him and Howard took money out of his own pocket to buy him out, just to get rid of Chuck quickly.

20. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Thought i'd pop in and ask a question - at the end of this series they dump their car in the desert, why did he remove the petrol cap and put it in his bag?

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That’s how Mike was able to track Saul through the desert. Mike took the cap so his method of tracking people’s cars wouldn’t risk being exposed.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Indeed; because there is a GPS transmitter hidden in the gas cap.

In addition, they are a bit expensive, so Mike's not going to leave one in the desert.

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Those gas cap trackers sure have come in handy for Gus.

Is it possible that is part of the reason we are being hammered with the fact that Lalo is a car maniac and a really good mechanic? So we won't be shocked if he finds Nacho's?

24. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

If Nacho is as smart as we think he is, he'll dump that ride in the ravine in the desert and get out of town in a nice non-descript grey Honda...that he dumps in Nevada....on his way to Kentucky.

MikeInFla, Nightfly68 and Tim S like this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Isn't Nacho's car abandoned in the Lalo's yard?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.