Better Call Saul - Season Five Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

BCS favourite seasons?

3/4/5 are imo the best.

1&2 equally enjoyable. But.. really gets better ( boom boom ) when the BB cast jump on board.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I totally disagree. Seasons 1 and 2 are brilliant and compelling in developing the relationship and rivalry between Chuck and Jimmy. You didn't know how seriously to take Chuck's "condition" and both seasons were required to show it was a psychological manifestation of the sibling rivalry after Jimmy started practicing law. This was all new. It had never been developed as part of Breaking Bad.

As seasons 3/4/5 wore on, BCS was increasingly dovetailing with BB. Kiss the intrigue goodbye. You already know that story--if not the specifics of what happened to characters like Kim and Nacho, then you know they will not be in Jimmy's sphere much longer. In other words, it is increasingly anticlimactic. Plus, these characters like Tuco, Gus, Mike all look much older than they did in Breaking Bad, and Odenkirk is starting to look a bit long in the tooth as well.

dougotte, twicks and Szeppelin75 like this.
  3. alexpop

1&2 fascinating, but I could see someone thinking they were a bit of a snooze fest in comparison with BB. Yeah! A few of the BCS characters look noticeably older, don’t have a problem with that myself.

4. alexpop

Read somewhere WW & Pinkman character’s are going to be involved with Season 6, BCS.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I rewatched it all during the lockdown and rate the seasons like this:

The show starts out strong, leans heavily into Odenkirk’s comedic chops, and sets itself apart from BB early on (also worth nothing that the first episode had a character from BB appear, Tuco--so they started that early). The Jimmy / Chuck rivalry boils over in S3. S5 contained some great action and drama. S4 continued the degradation of Jimmy in interesting ways (though I missed McKean's Chuck).

I put S2 at the bottom because it drags quite a bit, still good, but it's somehow not as fun to see Jimmy at the cushy lawyer gig.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for the final season.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    GentleSenator, albertop and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

Nice to see Hank in season 5.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. Chrome_Head

It felt a little tacked on to me, but yes, it was still nice to see both Hank and Gomie in S5.

If they're really planning on having Walt and Jesse appear in S6, I hope it's worthwhile to the plot and not just stunt cameos.

GentleSenator and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

I’d imagine Jesse is still at school with WW, his teacher.. lecturing Pinkman.

9. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I just listened to the commentary track on the El Camino Blu-ray which features Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul. Gilligan brought up the question of whether or not Walt and Jesse would make an appearance in the final season of BCS. He said it wouldn’t seem right if they didn’t show up at some point, but added that there had to be a good reason for them to be there. He wouldn’t do it otherwise.

Chrome_Head and MikeInFla like this.
  10. I'm always willing to suspend my disbelief, up to a point. But if they bring back 42 year-old Aaron Paul as a high school student, I'm going to have a problem.

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, it's bad enough they bring back Kaylee Ehrmantraut as a 10 year old, and the adults are all visibly older, but playing younger versions of themselves. I could tolerate it to see the development of Chuck and Jimmy, but my patience is wearing thin with the BB borrowed interest.

I would have been happier with 6 seasons exploring the dynamic between Chuck and Jimmy. Gilligan can only milk his BB success so much before it becomes really annoying and draws comparisons it can't live up to.

Szeppelin75 and MikeInFla like this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

don't worry, he'll have a really great wig.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Wow.
    Nice.
    NOBODY saw that coming...

drgn95 and Lonson like this.
  15. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I love that they've used Louis Prima for the trailer's soundtrack! A cracking tune.

16. Oh wow! I want to see this...but don't you guys think the trailer gives too much away?

Dayfold and turnersmemo like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

I am glad someone else said it first. To me, the trailer is far too long. I like trailers that are mysterious, rather than summarize the whole movie.

turnersmemo, EVOLVIST and Dayfold like this.
  18. Exactly! I don't really critique trailers, either. I can't think of one that I've felt compelled to critique. This one, however, just jumped out at me as a spoiler. I'm not sure if it will persuade my enjoyment.

They should have stopped at 0:58 then cut to 1:16-1:22. Then cut to 1:28 until he says "Don't call 9-11." Then you can have snatches of him running from automatic weapons, firing at him, yet sans the "auditor" dialog. Then cut all the rest, until he's escaping in the yellow car, finally showing him fighting back at about 2:14-2:29. Cut the grenade scene, leave the, "You look like ****, dad," cut the next scene, and then end in the interrogation room.

Am I looking too much into this? Haha! :laugh:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    George P likes this.
  19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Looks a bit cliche-ish.

Dayfold likes this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

#1 show of the year at Collider.
    The 10 Best TV Shows of 2020

Collider is one of the original websites in-deathly covering prestige tv. Their original BB episode recaps are a great read during your next rewatch.

kouzie likes this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm reminded of some comedies where they put the funniest parts in the trailer. Or the only funny parts in the trailer.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

For those interested, S4 is now available on Netflix.

23. Chrome_Head

Has been since at least March or April this of this year when I rewatched 1-4.

24. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Are you sure about S4? Last time I previously checked in Nov it wasn't there.

25. Chrome_Head

That's weird--only way I could've rewatched 1-4 was on Netflix, and that was back right after S5 had aired earlier this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.