Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

That's what they want you to believe. At least for right now. They're not going to leave is this long pause between seasons without causing the audience to feel that something grim is coming.

If you hold on to that belief, you'll either be right or wrong. Either way it will be a treat.

That's a mark of a great show.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I suppose there is a chance that it could be a fakeout, but I really don't think so. There have already been a string of Jimmy 'disappointments' over the season(s), which Jimmy was able to smooth over with his boyish charm. That can only work for so long and when a major disappointment comes along, it stops one in their tracks, makes them re-evalute their whole history. In my opinion, this was the point Kim reached at end of the season.
    I totally agree and because I think the writing staff is so good, it would be very disappointing if this were another bait-and-switch situation. The writers are better than that, and besides, the ensuing fallout would make for a great season long arc at this point in the series.

3. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

while this is truly unpleasant news, thinking further down the line, if they have a midseason break as they have in the past, we may have over 18 months to wait for the end of the upcoming season. brutal!

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

they are counting on a LOT of goodwill from fans. When the Sopranos did this kind of break they knew they had that loyalty and support. I wonder if Saul does.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you're talking about fans of the show (ie, those that are really into it), then yes, I think they will stick around. But those that were just casual viewers, they may not.

Spaghettiows and GentleSenator like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Disappointing news. I can wait but the new season always flies by so fast when we get it.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's very true.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's quite a critical darling just like mad men was. they'll be fine. it's us i'm worried about!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm just hoping the don't also announce the next season will be the last. And it will be split in half and air over two years.

10. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Good chance the BB movie is a large part of the delay. Creators have to be counting on the movie keeping both shows fans happy until BCS starts. Just really concerned about the time it will take to get to the end of season 5.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Actually, at this point, thats exactly what Im hoping for. Ill take a 20 great new episodes stretch over a 15 episodes meh ending.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

But when Breaking Bad split the last season in 2, wasn't it more like 8 one year and 8 the next?

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Has BCS ever had a season more than even ten episodes? Excuse my laziness for not looking it up, I just feel sure every season is short - certainly not 15 or more.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It could go either way. I read somewhere recently that when asked about when the series would end, Gilligan said that they were certainly closer to the end than not. It's a pretty non-committal answer which could mean one more season or perhaps two.

Personally I wouldn't like to see it go on for too much longer. Not only are the actors getting older (for a prequel), but even with short seasons, there is material here and there which feels a little 'filler-y', especially in the last season.

I would be fine with one more season, two at the most.

15. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Yes. I don't think the last season advanced the narrative much. I'm sounding like a broken record, I suppose, but I think there need to be more Gene. I keep thinking "this is the year", then we get a lame and irrelevant sequence (like last year where we see Gene have a heart attack and sorta-almost-kinda get discovered).

And the age thing didn't bother me when the show started, but they're starting to get noticeably long in the tooth.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

was always going to be hard to come up with more once chuck expired.

Jimmy B. and misterjones like this.
  17. misterjones

Agreed. That was the original central element of the show along with Jimmy's relationship with Kim and his struggles to make it in the legal profession. Now it's entirely about linking up with Breaking Bad. I know it's a prequel and the ultimate premise of the show, but I wish the show wasn't linked to BB and had a life of its own. It would be more interesting if (say) Jimmy had a variety of possible futures. Instead, he's chained to Saul. That's why I'd like to see more about Gene. There's no set future for that, so there are many interesting possibilities. Otherwise, it's just a show about what happens to Kim, and that's not enough to sustain my interest.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Season 5 delayed till 2020.

To make way for BB movie. WW is listed as part of the cast !!

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'd put money on us getting more "gene" down the road. it seems like that'd be the most logical choice to really keep the show standing on its own. i doubt BCS will just end with a direct transition to BB. the writers are better than that.

Tim S, Deesky and misterjones like this.
  20. misterjones

Will they make the movie take place during (not before) Breaking Bad? I’d prefer that (e.g., showing Walter having dinner at Kim and Jimmy McGill’s).

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

From what I have read, the movie in set in the time after Breaking Bad.

misterjones likes this.
  22. misterjones

Featuring the corpse of Walter White. Run for your lives! It’s a zombie movie!

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why is he dead ?

24. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

No. Heh. It's supposedly follows Pinkman. You might have WW in a flashback, but I think dead is dead in this case.

25. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

There is that theory that BB is a prequel to The Walking Dead - so Walter could indeed come back as a zombie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.