Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Leviethan and MikeInFla like this.
  2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The real catch is what drew Lalo into that scenario in the first place? where did he first get wind of Werner Ziegler?
    What put him on Lalo's radar?
    I remembered that episode and the travel wire bit and Lalo tracking Ziegler, but I'm very hazy on exactly what set his suspicions in motion.

Nice avatar by the way (Down By Law).

trumpet sounds and Dayfold like this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Lalo and Hector were always suspicious of Gus and wary of his growing clout with the cartel. They were looking for any excuse to get rid of him. Lalo got focused on Mike as Gus' associate, and from there he found out about Werner after tailing Mike to the travel wire place you mentioned.

Dayfold and ubiknik like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I agree. He is definitely afraid of Lalo.

One for obvious reasons: Lalo could kill him due to the Nacho and mercenary assassination debacle.

Two: Lalo's information could collapse Gus'relationship with the cartel and he ends up dead or tortured to death most likely. Yeah he is terrified in fact.

When Gus is sitting in his office there is a shot of the paper bin transposed on Gus. It makes it appear as if Gus is behind bars. In other words he feels trapped. So even the symbolism points to the way Gus feels.

In a similar device, the mirror scene shows him to be very uneasy also (mirrors of course used as a reflection of the real person in cinema). Also, he doesnt like having to carry that ankle gun. It disgusts him that he is having to resort to this means.

Gus is in the worst position he can imagine: out of control.

Though I would say that the look he gives at the front waiting on the bucket of chicken customer is more of a shock of revelation as he puts the pieces together about spicey curly fries>>>germany>>>Lalo rather than so much fear. At least now he feels he can be a step ahead perhaps.

Unfortunately Gus built the Nacho plan too high. And just like Papa Mike told Kaleigh..."Youre building it too high. Its going to go off the rails" so has Gus' plan to kill Lalo failed.

I think Mike will kill Lalo though. Not Gus. Mike catches the silver ball.

But the later is me just getting carried away.

GMfan87', AudioEnz and Edgard Varese like this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

We know that Gus gets over on Lalo, since the former is on BB and the latter is not, but what fallout comes back from their eventual clash will obviously impact everyone around them - Mike, Jimmy, Kim - and it will be interesting to see how and when Walt and Jesse come into play. I just hope the post-BB scenes with Gene are covered in detail at some point and not just an era that is glossed over for the sake of finality.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

This is where I think the whole Gus story is built on sand and comes apart. The Salamancas hate Gus and want him dead, but they can't kill him. Why? Because Don Eladio sees the value of Gus' payments and distribution capabilities. Ok, but the Salamancas could have still killed him and either avoided responsibility or just squared it with Eladio later. I just didn't buy that the Salamancas would go to such lengths over Gus. They'd either kill Gus or obey Don Eladio. The show builds too much cat and mouse shenanigans where there really isn't middle ground for it.

I don't quite get that. What is the big deal if Don Eladio finds out Gus is building a meth lab? He'd demand tribute, but Gus has already been sending him tons of cash. Granted, it's against the wishes of the Salamancas but so what?

The way they've telegraphed it, Lalo will confront Gus and Gus will agree to show Lalo the project, grab the gun, and shoot Lalo. If Mike ends up shooting Lalo, this whole gun sequence, where they've followed Gus keeping it on his ankle and then tranferring it to its hiding place on the earth mover has been an even bigger waste of time than I've described.

Brian Doherty and mpayan like this.
  7. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

These latest episodes with Gus are all about control. We saw him in control of so many details leading up to these recent events, directing and controlling the narrative around him. So the grout and the cleaning obsession (e.g., this and the fryer incident) are just additional examples of his need to be in control.

Now he's losing some of that control with Lalo's disappearance and it shows with the incident in the restaurant; he's feeling vulnerable. But he's also trying to regain it and bend the situations to his will again. That's where his arc goes in BB. He perfects it with the assassination in Mexico and everything around Walt.

It's interesting but it's maddeningly slow.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

When did he get Zeigler's notes? I saw him looking at things, but I didn't notice him taking anything. :confused:

9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I was watching the Yankees ChiSox game tonight and I've figured out where Lalo has been hiding:

[​IMG]

10. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Seems to me that Lalo didn't get any notes. Margarethe had already told him that anything "proprietary" in Ziegler's notes and drawings had been taken away. He flicks through a few things but doesn't seem to find anything of interest until he spots that balance ornament.

GMfan87' and stereoptic like this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, but it's "Better Call Saul" not "Better Call Gus". The show was set up as a morality tale about James McGill. The more this focuses on Gus, the less it can realize its true purpose.

mpayan and GentleSenator like this.
  12. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

We're getting there and obviously Gus is the key to Jimmy losing his soul. He's slowly lost his moral compass with petty crime and slipping Jimmy, then with his brother, and now he's going to lose his soul through his profession and serious criminal activity with Fring. I love seeing Gus' backstory as well. But I understand complaints that the show has lost its focus quite a bit...

13. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul apparently make an appearance in E07 and E13

proedros, GMfan87' and intv7 like this.
  14. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

As I've been reading this thread since the season started, I realised that I've liked just about every post that takes apart anything that GregM says. I'm struggling to understand why someone with such contempt for the writing, the plot and the direction of a TV program spends so much times on it.

TeddyB, trd and Edgard Varese like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

To sort of quote Bob Dylan, the "ignore" function will get you to the land of permanent bliss.

trd, George P and Edgard Varese like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I enjoy all opinions. Makes me reevaluate my own opinion. And dig deeper. Not everyone sees things the same way.

For instance, I truly enjoy the symbolism and foreshadowing.

The conversations that are said that seem meaningless that arent.

When Kim tells her story about the rich kid blaming the poor kid for the robbery at the diner to Jimmy. And then Jimmy gives him his suit.

Think thats just a story? Time filler?

Nope. Thats the foreshadowing of Jimmy and Kim. Jimmy is that poor kid and Kims the deceitful kid that is going to stab Jimmy in the back. Hell the poor kid is even wearing Jimmy's clothes.

How much more proof do we need that this is a clue to future events?

Now some may say ...

"Well, how does that move the plot along?"

It doesnt. At least not in the conventional sense.

What it does do, and what this entire season has done, is play an HG Wells Time Machine trick on us. That scene is being done in the now at Jimmy and Kims dinner. But the real meaning takes place in the future. And in that way, if we are really paying attention, we know what will happen to a degree. So the plot does get told. Just not in the way or order we expect. I think its masterful. Pulp Fiction-ish even. This technique to move the plot in a time machine "what's now is then to be" manner is all over the place.

Thats my thing. I go so far as to say that those are the strongest elements in the show that makes me think more and pay attention. Others see it as overdone and even hendering the plot and character development perhaps. And that is ok. My mind has adjusted to accepting how they move things along.

And I do think the best is yet to come.

Its like Howard said ..."I know you all want to get to the finish line. Im going to level with you. Truth is, we still have a ways to go."

...is it worth it? I think it is.

Shawn, Jim Pattison, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmm ok. Well hopefully since its two that means its meaningful to the storyline.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think it has been shown earlier that Eladio sees Gus as the more profitable member. Hector and his boys never could make enough money to square what Eladio would lose from Gus plus what the Salamancas make. They would be short. Eladio sees Hector as the little guy and Gus as the one with potential. Then there is kind of a code. There has to be a reason. Hating the "Chicken Man" out of spite isnt a solid reason.

Thus why Lalo wants to find proof.

The big deal if Eladio finds out about the lab is based upon Eladios reaction before. Like the reaction Eladio had towards the first time Gus and his boyfriend took action without permission, Eladio would most likely see it as a possible run by Gus to covertly take over. Its an ego/power thing. It isnt always about the money with these guys. Gus tried to explain how much money Eladio would make way back before Hector shot the guy in the head. But all Eladio saw it as was disrespect. He would most likely see this lab being done without his knowledge as disrespectful also and possibly have Gus eliminated.

The Mike shooting Lalo was more a half joke on my part. I kind of feel that way but I dont know. I mean whats to say Gus doesnt have Mike hide out and use the gun? I doubt it also.

The one thing that will happen if this transpires is that Gus is planning on blacking out the construction area and then getting the gun. In the scene he is counting the steps from the power cord plug to the earth mover. So all of this, if he gets a chance with Lalo down there, will be done in the dark.

So yeah, I agree that it makes more sense for Gus to kill Lalo. But idk, something tells me that is too obvious and easy. Who knows.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    GMfan87' and GregM like this.
  19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sure, but that's sort of antithetic to a discussion forum where you're supposed to discuss things. If I know someone is ignoring me, I'll have to put them on ignore to establish equilibrium. It's hard to fathom how anyone can't stand to read some differing opinions.

I love symbolism and foreshadowing too, as well as the music and other production values. But sometimes it feels like not enough attention is paid to the basics to justify the extras and it has the effect of putting a silk hat on a pig. If they put as much effort into the underlying show and storyboarding as they did to the finishing touches, I'd be more impressed.

I don't think Jimmy ever lost his soul. Nor do I think Gus changed him any more than Lalo did by making him "friend of the cartel". The only way I would lose all respect for Jimmy or see him as losing his soul is if he lets Kim sacrifice herself for him or throws her under the bus to save himself. But that will be all on him. I don't think I would blame that on Gus or any other character. But I guess we'll need to watch the remainder and find out for sure.

I already said Odenkirk's performance is consistently great. I'm often blown away with what he does with the script, though not so much this season. Again, the high mark for me was the writing and dialog with Chuck and Jimmy's relationship.

hobbes4444 likes this.
  20. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Wholeheartedly agree on Chuck and Jimmy. That relationship was fascinating and was incredibly well done IMHO. But I think after seeing the opening of this season and reflecting back on Slipping Jimmy and where he came from and where he wound up, I will respectfully disagree and I believe he has lost his soul. Yes, Jimmy had elements of Saul in him all along. But it would have been a Saul that cheats a bit to get himself ahead, but not the Saul whose actions take such a heavy toll toll on others. I think his relationship with Chuck and Howard pushed him down that road, moving from simply turning his back on others, and then Lalo and Gus turning him into the soul-less Saul who really seems to enjoy harming people. And yes, I do believe Kim will be tipping point. I have a horrible feeling where this is going. I hope she will disappear on her own terms, and I suspect that may be where the writers are heading. But I also think it may well be a very dark end to her storyline. I am very much looking forward to where this is going, I just wish it would move at a slightly quicker pace...

GregM and GMfan87' like this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Episode 1 and 2 are going "away" soon: 1 on Sunday and 2 on Tuesday. I hope t0 re-watch them before then.

GregM likes this.
  22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I think most don't mind differing opinions, but when it's repeated ones it becomes monotonous, and without a point.
    I feel no matter the weaknesses or lack of action in these episodes it will all come together in a more than satisfying conclusion.
    The writers are that good.. I didn't care much for that neo Nazi gang in BB towards the end but the overall ending negates them for me.
    It's an interesting angle to think Kim may betray Jimmy.. I don't expect it , but hey anything is possible.

AudioEnz, hobbes4444 and RSteven like this.
  23. NettleBed

If he could find her at the bar, why couldn't he have just gone to the house while she was at the bar?

Shawn, sharedon and GregM like this.
  24. NettleBed

Every scene with him just gets more and more absurd. Unfortunately, we likely won't be rid of him until the finale.

GentleSenator and GregM like this.
  25. NettleBed

Which is why BCS was better before they started doing things with the cartel. BCS was a better show than BB for the first three seasons IMO but faltered somewhat after that.

GentleSenator and GregM like this.