Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on Kim's character my friend. What you see as stubbornness and stupidity, I see as loyalty and putting her partners needs above her own personal ambition. :agree:

2. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Agree to disagree
    Besides her what would you predict or like to see happen in these last six?

RSteven likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Rhea Seehorn has said that what she finds very interesting about Kim's character and actions are that they contain dollops of ambiguity. . . I see things the way RSteven does but can see how they would seem to GMfan87.

Vidiot and RSteven like this.
  4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

What kind of apartment building/condo do Jimmy and Kim live in?
    Howard shows up at their door, Lalo shows up at their door -is there no security aspect to this building?

Most buildings that are multi dwellings have a door that you need a key to enter with and an intercom to buzz people up.
    Just sayin'.

For that matter why did Gus put a hit on Lalo in the first place? Was it because he knew Lalo was snooping around for the lab?

Neil Anderson likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Kudos to those who were adamant that Howard's PI was in Jim and Kim's pocket. I couldn't see how that was but of course the Shyster Schemers found a way to get Howard to hire their own.

ubiknik, Dayfold, mmars982 and 3 others like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Besides seeing Kim survive to fight another day, Lol, I just want the show to take me for a ride and surprise me a bit along the way. I thought Howard was going to go by the way of a miscalculated poisoning or something, so they got me good there. We know Gus survives, Mike survives and Jimmy, but what happens to Lalo seems to be in question. I just hope it seems to wrap this thing up without being completely over the top. As Stephen King once said, "Your allowed one great coincidence per story, but two or three can ruin the viewers suspension of disbelief, Lol.

How do you want this wonderful ride to end?

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It had nothing to do with Jimmy? GMAB. It had everything to do with him. Seems to me he knows he's become a negative influence on her and has an instinct that he should put a stop to all this stuff. But he isn't having that tough talk with her so we don't know what his inner dialog is with himself. There will be plenty of opportunity for her to be a glorified public defender later. That particular "terrific opportunity" wasn't going to make or break her defending poor people.

No, this is not how the best professionals work. AMC gave Gilligan/Gould lots of leeway because of the success of BB. But it's disheartening to me that the element I love best about this show was something they came up with basically on the fly. Did McKean come on board thinking the Chuck character was one thing and then finding out later that it was something else entirely? To their credit, they did a great job pulling this out of their butts but there are many other decisions and character trajectories that are improperly designed. If you go into a show with a rock-solid script, this kind of thing doesn't have to happen by luck.

You have no rational argument, so just come up with a personal attack. This is not creative writing 101. It's supposed to be a network show.

As Wayne Shorter says, composing is improvisation slowed down. So slow it down and do it right.

Right, and the fact that they couldn't come up with that until rewrites is rather hairraising. There have been lots of other choices where they clearly didn't get so lucky.

This show could have been an absolute masterpiece if they had all their ducks in a row, pitched to HBO, got a bigger budget and the right network support, and weren't flying by the seat of their pants. There are professionals at HBO who ensure shows are made properly and stay on track, and that's why HBO tends to have such good content. Not to mention Odenkirk might have been spared the horror of a heart attack. Someone is probably at fault for that. Your starring actor isn't supposed to keel over from a heart attack on set. Dunno what is really going on with these showrunners, but the more insight I have the more crazy it sounds.

It was the best thing about the show. And it turned out to be a sort of accident, which is hair raising.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    RSteven likes this.
  8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I loved this season segment and am finding the writing and pacing to be top-notch as always. I have no complaints personally about pacing or writing direction - this last episode really shook me up

Amnion, Grootna, kouzie and 1 other person like this.
  9. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Huh, it was free for me.

Try opening the link then putting 12ft.io/ in front of the URL - that should get rid of the paywall.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I remember even Jesse was not supposed to be intended as a long term BB character, he was intended to be killed off fairly early but Vince kept him on board seeing how great he was

That is why I think BB/BCS works so well, they allow their characters to breathe and they follow that as opposed to making characters follow a pre-planned narrative no matter what

11. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

IMDB is putting out some misleading information.

mpayan likes this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So the "Stick it to Howard" plot turns out to be half-season-long MacGuffin, more or less.

Normally individuals in TV shows and movies who are "collateral damage" have little or no back story. They serve the purpose of letting the audience know how sinister a villain can be. In this case, the audience has a long history with the collateral damage", which elicits a completely different reaction.

If you predicted before the season started that Nacho would commit suicide and Lalo would kill Howard, you're a better viewer than I.

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

On the panel show after the episode, Gould said that one of Gus's security measures was that he had a double that slept in the other house and the we were shown this. We were? Did I miss this?

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I don't recall seeing that either. How much does "body double for a guy a cold-blooded lunatic set on revenge wants to kill" pay?

thgord and Tim S like this.
  15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

My god. So much ignorance. Please share your insights from your Emmy-winning showrunning career. Or maybe you are HBO's publicist?

You know HBO turned down Breaking Bad, right? With deep, deep prejudice. I believe Gilligan called their reaction "toxic." And it would be highly unusual if AMC didn't have a first dibs deal with Sony Pictures TV for any sequels to projects that first aired on the network.

But thanks for the unlikely laugh re: Odenkirk and his AMC-induced heart attack.

Old Mac, ubiknik and pocketcalculator like this.
  16. Edgard Varese

Who else enjoyed getting to hear Lalo saying "Werner Ziegler" one last time? :D

ubiknik, proedros, MikeInFla and 9 others like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, you dont agree with the lack of professionalism and deviation from traditional writing practices. Fair enough. You are no doubt more of an expert on this than I am (not meaning that in a sarcastic way. It is one of the reasons I like your participation. Its good to have lawyers, writers and laymen here. Its kind if a treat.)

However and again, that wasnt really why I posted that quote from Gilligan.

It was to show that Howard was not evolved as a bad guy in this.

Which IMO underminds this entire idea that Howard got what he deserved and what Kim and Jimmy did was not bad.

I mean I do you wrong and then say Im sorry and what can I do? Try and give you a job to make it up to you (that wasnt sincere from Howard? Yes it was) and you still stab me in the back?

Even Jimmy knew that as much as he despises Howard that it wasnt right to do that to him.

Yet one still doesnt see it was wrong and a bad thing for Kim and Jimmy to do to Howard?

The writers establish that Howard is basically a pretty good guy with some mistakes and faults and one agrees with this, but still thinks what Kim did is justified?

Sorry those two trains of thought just dont jibe imo.

You admit that it was one of the things you loved about the show. That they turned the tables on our take of who Howard is deep down. Yet you say also that he is a guy that got what he deserved because of the bad guy that he is and the actions he did against Jimmy. Im not sure how that can be both. A person either goes along with the evolution of the character or they dont. That evolution wasnt really some new characterization that we are forced to accept in Howard. It is more a reveal of how and who Howard was.

Sorry, but youll have to explain how the show is responsible for Bob's heart attack. That makes about as much sense to me as saying Kim and Jimmy got Howard killed.

Are you saying that the pressure of changes in the writing resulted in more pressure on Bob and caused his heart attack?

If so, I maybe could assist with my expertise on how its really a ticking time bomb when you have blockage and Bob could have died in his sleep. If anything he should be thankful he had those around him that were intelligent and quick enough to think fast and help save his life.

He was lucky. Whether HBO or NetFlix. Doesnt matter. Life imitated art. He "slipped" by that near tragedy. Thank goodness for him and his family. Well, luck and him being in about as good a shape as he has been in years. Saul back in BB was a bit on the heavier side of healthy.

But to blame the crew or imply that the pressure on Bob caused his heart attack and if the writing had been different it wouldnt have possibly happened? Yeah, no.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Nightfly68, GMfan87' and MrGrumpy like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yes, he passed Gus in the tunnel.

@2:50

19. Edgard Varese

I believe it was the man he passed as he walked through the underground passage connecting the two houses. We didn't get a good look at him.

trumpet sounds and Tim S like this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I still lean towards they will end it in a satisfying way, just judging by the overall quality of their work on both shows.
    I'm most interested in how Gene ends up. But after everything we've seen I'm less on board with him or anyone having or deserving a good end, which is more unusual viewing experience for me. (Usually you are rooting for someone, maybe will feel differently by that time)
    Lalo you'd assume will have to die, but not sure if too predictable if he's killed by Mike or Gus.

RSteven likes this.
  21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thanks, i thought that was just some dude, he looks nothing like Gus

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah I didnt get it at first either. From a distance though I suppose it doesnt matter.

Wonder how much HE gets paid...it would have to mucho dinero for me to basically be a deadman walking..

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For your endless Werner Ziegler fix...:D

24. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

My point was her choice to turn around was ALL HER, and about what she alone wanted, no matter what came before. Jimmy gave her an out right then.
    You seemed to love Chuck most about this show, but he's been gone now for 3 seasons , so did you ever consider not continuing to watch ?
    Almost seems sometimes as if you have had personal issues with these writers.
    Attacking their abilities, ideas and that's a perplexing statement about the show, and production being somehow responsible for Odenkirk's heart attack.
    He spoke on that, two different opinions, one Doc said don't get on meds for plaque buildup, the other said yes, he chose not to.
    What would be a satisfying ending for you ?

25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I really really want to hate Lalo, but that accent, long wavy hair and mustache.........

ubiknik, RSteven and GMfan87' like this.