Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

You're right and unfortunately not many entertainment factions including sports show much regard for fans anymore.

2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Yeah- I used to love ESPN but it's really gone downhill. For instance, they cram as many college b'ball games as possible into the weekend- every 2 hours- when they must be aware many games last over 2 hours regularly and then overtime is not uncommon. Many times I've tuned in to watch my UVA team- generally a top 10 team in recent years- only to have some game of minor teams running over. There's been numerous times when I missed the majority of the 1st half- once there was like less than a minute or two remaining. UVA games usually go pretty quickly because they rarely foul, so much less stoppages. But games with more stoppages- esp. now that there are long ones for reviews- can easily exceed 2 1/2 hours. But ESPN cares more about getting in more games than ensuring high-quality presentations.

But these types of situations are indicative of the more widespread problem nowadays of lack of customer service. But let me stop since this is way OT and I'm treading close to- if not already in- Old Man Yelling Get Off My Lawn territory.

To bring back on-topic, while I hate the delays between seasons of BCS, I'm giving VG and co. a pass because they do have such high standards in all aspects of creation/production and put out top-of-the-line shows. It's just really frustrating that before the final season the usual lag has been drawn out even more due to covid- and now possibly even longer due to Bob's medical issues (though any delay pales next to concerns for his health). Many series will have been born and died in the time between season 5 and 6 of BCS...

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't think the delays in latter seasons of hit shows are about "such high standards" so much as contract obligations, other priorities/conflicts, and star negotiating power that often becomes a game of chicken with the production company and studio. You have a star like, say, Banks or even a lesser character like Hule. The actor knows he's being written into the show in a way no other actor can reasonably replace him. He hires a different, high powered agent/attorney and starts renegotiate the contract and threatens to not appear for the shoots unless they can come to terms. This kind of thing is why Sopranos was delayed and other shows were delayed or cancelled. If you can't come to an agreement with all the actors, you can't shoot.

Dillydipper likes this.
  4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Was there any sort of behind the scenes stuff holding BCS back in between seasons?
    I started watching season 1, 4 shows in, think it was pretty clever how they worked Tuco and Nacho in.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

It is criminal that Jonathan Banks didn’t get an Emmy for that one. Almost as bad as Paul Newman losing the Oscar with “The Verdict.”

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I have a friend who never watches any new series anymore until they are all finished, that way he can through word of mouth hear if it ended good or bad. If it ended bad or unresolved or whatever, he simply doesn't watch any of it. Not sure how he pulls that off without getting some type of spoilers, but it seems to work for him.

7. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

That's just sad. In so many ways...

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's the only way an actor who does a good job on a hit show will be paid what he's worth. Gandolfini played chicken with HBO for months or years, with both sides vowing to walk away at one time or another, but in the end HBO agreed to pay him $1 million per episode, and the show went on. It's common practice now.

9. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Hmm really no actor is worth a mil an episode, even if money is there, let everyone get raises. He didn't come out looking too good when he demanded it at that time.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The six castmembers on Friends and the main characters on Seinfeld were each earning $1 million per episode by the time those shows wrapped. So apparently the network disagrees with you. A million dollars ain't what it used to be and Gandolfini was well advised to play the game of chicken and hold out for what he knew he was worth. Frankly, I think Odenkirk should too. This is the role of his career, he's no spring chicken and I think his salary is not much above $250,000 per episode.

11. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Odenkirk is one of the producers of the show, if I am not mistaken. Trust me, he's making great money.

12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

It's absurd no matter how good the actor is when you think about it, but that's the business. I'll never get the love for Friends.
    Would anyone be interested in talking about past seasons here ?
    Since I'm doing the re-watch, read some others have or are, thought we could talk some old plot points maybe..

13. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Certainly not worried :) Who knows what other deal is worked out, residuals, dvd sales, streaming..

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's not like he plays basketball, football or baseball.

Mistermono and GMfan87' like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Getting the production credit is just a way to further justify his $250,000 per episode paycheck, but for carrying this show as the lead actor he should probably be getting a lot more.

Sure, I'd talk about past seasons. To reply to your point, though, since you don't like friends but do like BCS one would think you'd support the idea that Odenkirk is worth more than the actors on Friends.

I think it is unlikely for TV show actors to have that negotiated into their contract.

16. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Glad to hear Bob is recovering well from his "mini" MI. They will be back to shooting full schedule soon. Since they postponed major shooting due to Bob's health issue, traffic through downtown is much lighter. I can always tell when they are on a full shooting schedule. Besides the dozens of shiny 18 wheelers lining the parking spots of downtown streets, traffic is a bit more congested than usual.

JimW, Chrome_Head and GMfan87' like this.
  17. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I highly doubt that he's getting 250,000 per episode for both producing and acting.

18. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

First post here: I have no idea what caused Bob's heart attack, and I may never know what caused it.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's what he's making per episode based on the press reports I've seen, but if you've seen reports to the contrary you should give the figure.

The production credit is often given as a way to bump up a salary for lead actors while complying with the contract and studio policies.

20. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

I would think he is getting more, but maybe he gets a cut of the various other pies.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

22. misterjones

I bet they each make more than $250 K per year just on this stuff.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. misterjones

Listen, it cuts it if the premise is what one thinks or doubts. Why are you always trying to pick a fight with everyone here? You can join in our reindeer games without being so adversarial.

24. misterjones

I've been fighting it for quite awhile now, but "I think" it's time for good ol' Mr. Ignore.

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I get that, but I posted my source and you disagreed without having any source of your own, apparently. I don't think it's unreasonable or adversarial to ask for real information if you're going to disagree with a figure I cited--that's all I meant by "doesn't cut it."