Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

El Camino is brilliant, but it’s over so quickly.

Linger63 likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You're right - every great creative idea in Hollywood always starts with, "yeah...but, I needed the money..."

3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

First they need the money. Then they need floob you money. Then they just need the attention. Virtually no one says "OK, that's it, I'm done now"(unless, of course, no one wants what they are selling any more).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2022
    enro99 likes this.
  4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Nowhere did I say you did or had to, far as I knew this is a board to express opinions.
    BB was an excellent show, (did a review before it ended ) remember it so well, haven't felt any need to re-watch since. That's why I felt "El Camino" was a dull let down, you like it fine, I couldn't sit thru it again.
    I did go thru BCS again,to refresh memory before it ends, liked a lot of it better second time.

misterjones likes this.
  5. misterjones

I don't think I could stomach BB again, which does not mean it wasn't a great show. Just too intense, and the fact that I know what will happen takes a bit of the edge off. The same holds true for BCS, though I did try. I got up to the point where Tuco broke the skateboarders' legs and stopped. I have no interest in re-watching certain well-made movies either . . . Schlindler's List and The Deer Hunter come to mind.

GMfan87' likes this.
  6. alexpop

Leave the re-watching to the rest of us then lol.:nyah:

misterjones likes this.
  7. misterjones

I do. I especially enjoy it when a re-watcher points out something seen in an earlier episode (often barely noticeable when first aired) that has taken on a greater meaning in a later season.

alexpop likes this.
  8. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes that can be interesting .
    I did that with Mad Men.
    I agree with you even on the great movies , once Netflix came along I just wanted to see something new . But grew up watching many classics and favorites repeatedly.
    About BCS, has anyone heard anything about the last season ? Saw the post other day about them nearing end of filming.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

That’s what making re- watching appealing. :)

trd and misterjones like this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Funny show!

alexpop and George P like this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Nothing brilliant about it. Took a good ending for Jesse, where he was free, high on life, and had the whole world open to him, and closed him into a meager existence in Alaska through a series of utterly boring and pointless scenes catering to BB fanboys.

12. alexpop

BCS: last episode are WW & Pinkman going to be in it?

13. alexpop

:righton:

14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Totally agree. We didn't need to see what happened with Jesse next. He was finally free, of both being held prisoner and of Walter White, and that was a great ending for the Jesse Pinkman character.

Mark E. Moon, GMfan87' and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. alexpop

Scenes with Todd were the highlight, so .. um, disagree.

16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Meth Damon
    [​IMG]

ciderglider and alexpop like this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Todd looked like he had aged about 15 years and gained a ton of weight. Was one of those BB ancillary characters that was totally uninteresting--no further development required. Bad enough he had that big of a part in BB. Of course the BCS actors look much older and are playing younger versions of themselves.

Gilligan really needs to develop a new hit TV show idea instead of these sorry retreats into BB-land. What's really left in BCS to make it come full circle? Kim exits. Nacho exits. Lalo exits. Gee those exits will come as such a shock--how can they pull it off in a compelling way. Maybe one out of three will inspire more than an eye roll. As for the rest, we know exactly what their arc is.

18. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

The Kim/Gene resolutions will be the big questions that I’ll be interested in. The Nebraska hints are more than a curiosity. Kim’s childhood flashback and Gene’s current location can’t be a goofy coincidence.

19. It's not an original concept, and it's probably not going to happen, but I was really hype to see Gilligan take on the Jim Jones mini-series for HBO. Poof! That project vanished. Maybe it was just a rumour.

GregM likes this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I don't recall his part being overly large in BB but I haven't rewatched since it ended. I agree though about him in the follow up movie. However since they were set on doing it, they had little left to say, if they didn't include him, not sure what else they would of
    done.
    BCS was an interesting concept and for most part was very well executed.
    I think seeing how he gets the characters to the points we know they'll be at and for the rest where we expect them to be at, will be interesting to see.
    Then yes imo and many others Gilligan should try another series or project.
    But he'll do what he will, and some fans would happily watch more, rest of us wouldn't.

21. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Yes and then some fans just want more.
    Which of course to each their own but it can dilute what was an incredible series. Seen that happen with many film sequels and tv shows.
    I had gotten my brother in to BB and he wanted to see El Camino , not sure I would have otherwise, but I found it to be mostly incredibly boring.

GregM likes this.
  22. alexpop

Watched El Camino a few times now, it just gets better. Pinkman deserves his own series.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

His entire appeal was as a foil, to offset the over-the-hill, uptight, dying, obnoxiously cerebral, erudite, family-man, plotting Walter White with a young, emotional, stupid, unattached, impulsive sidekick. If you want "Jesse" to have his own show, he'd have to grow up and interact with different characters, so everything that defined him in the previous series would be lost and you might as well have a totally different character. Is it that you love Aaron Paul? He's ok. Not that much range.

24. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

The last time we see Jesse in BB he is out of his head. There is no relief or victory or anything and he could just as easily be heading for a tree as towards his future. El Camino completed the character in a way that was absolutely nessessary.

AudioEnz and alexpop like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

No, the ending freed Jesse from enslavement as a lab cook, and we last saw him bursting through the gates that had served as a sort of prison perimeter for him. He was out of his head in the respect that he couldn't believe his change of fortune and was finally free. The character was often emotional and unstable.