Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

The first mistake is to assume that people win awards based on the merit of their work.

slipkid, DSOTM1, Mark E. Moon and 3 others like this.
  3. misterjones

4. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

All of these award shows are rigged popularity contests set up to allow actors to show false and insincere humility when deep down they love and live for all the attention and accolades that in the end are fleeting and leave them feeling hollow inside.

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Mark B. and thgord like this.
  6. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Funny.

7. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I didn't care for Ozark, so I still feel like she got robbed. :laugh:

Cantina BarFly, Nightfly68 and Vidiot like this.
  8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

No worries, they're saving her win for next year.

Vidiot and Edgard Varese like this.
  9. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Assuming they even remember what they allegedly watched a year from now.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well yeah, I guess, but probably the greatest actress I've ever seen in a TV show was Edie Falco who seems pretty sincere to me and has racked up lots of Emmys. You watch a few episodes of her performances as Carmella in Sopranos and compare it to Rhea in BCS, and what you get is an actress at the top of her game capable of showing the full range of emotions versus a relatively wooden Kim who can only go from season after season of a stiff performance to a few moments of sobbing uncontrollably. Granted, the writers also are responsible for this. But there is no way to watch both shows without realizing that one actress is vastly superior to the other.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I liked Ozark, but Julia Garner had already won a couple of times before, and I really felt like it was Rhea Seehorn's year to finally get recognized. I hope this year's finale for Better Call Saul will legitimately win a bunch of (much-deserved) Emmys for the cast and the show.

DIYmusic likes this.
  12. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I think you mean one CHARACTER is vastly superior.

Rhea Seahorn's acting was great, but you are confusing how the character was written, versus how well she acted the character and story she was given.

I agree Edie Falco is great, and loved her even more in Nurse Jackie honestly. But I liked that character better:)

JimW likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed, but it wasn't just a matter of the character being conceived and written better than the other or a meatier role with better subplots. There is just an order of magnitude differential in acting ability, commitment to the role, and method. You can see it in just a few moments of screen time. Some actors just have an innate ability. Rhea Seehorn is a good actress, but she isn't one of the best. The one episode she directed was odd, too.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Emmy committee are like chimps with machine guns! Slippin' Emmys!

[​IMG]

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

17. DSOTM1

DSOTM1 Forum Resident

have you started Sopranos yet?

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

They should try to get into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Around 80% of the inductees there have no relation to "rock" music anyway so Saul & Co. have a good shot at induction even though they have nothing to do with rock (or any kind of music) anyway. If on the ballot many of the voters would probably vote for them thinking they are some hot "hip" act that they never heard of.

ubiknik likes this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Emmy wins can often be a strange thing anyway, but as much as I liked Better Call Saul, I can't think of a single time where I thought the show or one of the actors absolutely should have won. There are so many good dramas now that the competition is always pretty strong, and I suspect the "it's not nearly as great as Breaking Bad" sentiment worked against it to some extent. Fair or not, it was likely judged against its older brother.

20. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but since the final season just ended a weeks ago, is it possible that the Emmy results from earlier this week were even “covering” the last season? Had those who voted Monday night’s results even seen all of the Season Six episodes? I wonder if BCS might be eligible for next year’s voting. Anyway, just putting it out there. I haven’t a clue how it works. Maybe some of you with more Hollywood insight might know.

21. George Co-Stanza

Season 6a of Better Call Saul was the only one considered for this week's Emmys.

Next year's Emmys, 6B will be eligible.

Mark B. likes this.
  22. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Perfect sense. Maybe some nods will come next year, then.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

Would be cool to see a win or two, but I won't hold my breath. It doesn't feel like the show has that "all-time great" status, so I don't see the voters giving them the "we need to get them a few wins since this is their last shot" sentiment. It feels like if the voters really thought the show had earned a win already, it would have one already.

24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So the latter part of the season is eligible for next years Emmy's ?
    What is that, episode 8 thru 13?

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  25. misterjones

If the series has won no awards for 5-1/2 seasons, what difference would the final 1/2 season make? Did the series check any more desirable boxes in episodes 8-13? I see none. The best they can hope for is some lifetime achievement award(s) equivalent.

GregM likes this.