Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

One of the "loveable" paradoxes of the Hoffman forum:

"All award shows are bull****! It's just overpaid celebrities just patting themselves on the back... Blah blah... Hollywood!.... blah blah... woke! blah blah... I was offended when..."

"I can't believe this! {artist/performer/actor} is the greatest! Blah blah... robbed!... blah blah... travesty..."

mpayan likes this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

Does anyone simultaneously say both? Or are you saying some say one and some say the other? I'd say "all award shows are bull****", but I wouldn't in the same breath (or even subsequent breaths) say someone was robbed because he/she did not win an Emmy. Of course, one can legitimately say "all award shows are bull****", and the stench is illustrated by the fact that a particular actor/actress did not get recognized for his/her work. Not sure either is a paradox, though.

Scott222C likes this.
  3. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Simultaneously? No.

But contradicting themselves during the course of threads about the Oscars, Emmys, or the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame? Sure.

4. misterjones

One can think, for example, the Emmys and Oscars are rigged but not the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "awards". I think all awards are rigged to a certain degree (perhaps in varying degrees and directions), so I wouldn't take that view. I still think one can legitimately state awards are rigged, fraudulent, woke, whatever and say it is a travesty a particular artist is not recognized for his/her achievement (as opposed to getting the offending hardware). George C. Scott knew it was BS and treated it accordingly.

Now if someone applauded an award because his/her favorite star finally has been recognized, that's closing in on simply not liking an award because your selections weren't their selections. You see this type of hometown blinders in sports all the time (e.g., it's OK if X takes steroids - or there is no clear-cut evidence the certain misshapen, grossly roided-out home run hitter took steroids - provided he plays for us). Again, I apply my criticism across the board . . . one of the reasons I can no longer stomach being an Ohio State football fan. I don't like injecting woke social politics into sports, and if my team does it I don't like it or my team (even if I had been a fan for 40 years).

5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I called it! Looking forward to details about this one.

RSteven likes this.
  7. misterjones

I think they missed a golden opportunity. As I said long ago:

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

RSteven likes this.
  9. Lonson

Nah, I personally think it's time to totally turn away from the BB/BCS world, it's done.

slipkid, GMfan87' and mpayan like this.
  10. misterjones

She needs, probably wants, to show that she can be someone besides Kim Wexler. Seehorn was excellent in the role, but the character was a bit flat. She could become typecast with another Kim Wexler role.

RSteven and GMfan87' like this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The Kim character was pretty wooden, stiff upper lip. Aside from the outburst near the end and a couple of semi-emotional rants earlier in the show, she really didn't get to display a whole range of emotions. Maybe the new role will give her a different look.

RSteven likes this.
  12. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

This will have nothing to do with BB or BCS from what I have read and been told. It will shoot in Albuquerque though.

ssmith3046 and RSteven like this.
  13. Lonson

Yes, I know there's no connection to the two shows, was just responding to Mister Jones' proposed sequels.

JoeRockhead and Nightfly68 like this.
  14. misterjones

And I was joking.

Lonson likes this.
  15. misterjones

Did Kim Wexler laugh even once in six seasons?

16. Nightfly68

Yes.

17. misterjones

When? And not a nervous, polite, forced, or Giselle laugh? I don’t remember any.

18. Nightfly68

So now we're classifying laughs? Lol.

JoeRockhead and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. misterjones

She just isn’t a truly happy person. That’s her character. I’m not criticizing Seehorn, of course. She played it right. Both are grifters at heart, but at least Jimmy seemed to have some fun with it. Kim at most “got off” on it.

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think she genuinely laughed at Howard when he told her about Jimmy sending hookers to his table and throwing bowling balls at his car.

RSteven likes this.
  21. misterjones

Could be. I just don't remember any. I think I deleted (possibly inadvertently) a reference in one of my above posts that Kim never laughed unless it was at someone else's misfortune, so I'll add that as a caveat (though it just seems that way to me and probably can be debunked).

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No, actually after pondering this BCS series, in hindsight I find it a sad depressing and on whole simply negative experience. Surprisingly I feel very detached from even liking it. Some rather disgusting representatives of humanity and the human condition. Doubt I could stomach BCS on a second viewing. A bit surprised at myself but not really.

Not saying it isnt reflective of society. Just not sure I need to be reminded again by watching another series about the more vile side of life. Plenty to be seen in real life, yes?

Yeah, I guess Im out.

misterjones likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ill leave this as a last post in the thread. Thought it to be well done. Nice chatting with you guys. That was the better part of the experience.

EddieMann and ubiknik like this.
  24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

A good quality change of pace is called for here.
    Seek out and watch the three season show called 'The Leftovers' (Showtime I think).
    It's a serious but laced with wackyness, semi dark comedy drama that does not disappoint.
    It stars Justin Theroux, Carrie Coon, Liv Tyler, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston and Scott Glenn.
    It's really good.

EddieMann and DementedAvenger like this.
  25. misterjones

I can see that. What’s more, I think I agree entirely. I couldn’t get more that a couple episodes into a second BCS viewing. All six seasons were something of a “Long Day’s Journey Into Night”, and it’s not a journey I think I could make twice. The Sopranos? I managed to watch one episode. I’ve never been much of an organized crime fan in movies and TV.